Someone on .org has just bought a Magnette TSE from an ex MG garage for £11k.
Looks like residuals aren't going to be a strong point - its a low mileage one, about 9mths old max.
You'd be better off burning your money tbh.
Don't get me wrong, I went to see the 6 a few weeks ago when Pinkstone opened up and it was better than I was expecting (having 4 matching wheels was better than I was expecting tbh!).
Big car inside but outside not much bigger than the ZS saloon.
FAR better looking in flesh than any pics.
Didn't feel like it had much oomph to it but didn't have much of a chance to give it some welly so couldn't really tell.
Leather seats are terrible quality - don't know whether the leather stretches or the foam underneath gives up the ghost but just look at the bagginess of it on the drivers seat on ones for sale on Autotrader. cars with 8k on them look like 150k minicabs.
I wish they'd try and sell it on what it is - all this british bollox does my head in - its about as British as Moscow!
I can cope with MG now being Chinese owned, nobody else was interested (disregarding whether or not the very people who now own it had a hand in its demise in the first place), even the fact that its a Chinese car with an MG badge stuck on it - would anyone on any of the MG /Rover websites be remotely interested in a Roewe 1.8 GT (what it may have been if they hadn't got the MG name)?
See it as a Chinese Kia / Hyundai and things are fine but many of the websites seem to have a thread about "is your MG6 British?" to which the reply is almost always "well its as British as it can be" what a load of old tripe - its about as Chinese as it can be.
Don't go thinking theres any UK production in the 6 (they may be held together by bolts shipped over there , some possibly from the UK) but what we have here is shipped in 80% complete to which a handful of UK works stick the remaining 20% (also made in China)
Anyway, back to the Pinkstone launch.
Sorry but if thats "pulling out all the stops for a new dealer launch" I'm very disappointed - not so much in Pinkstones themselves, rather the factory "support".
I sat down and discussed having a 6 with one of the sales team - my details went down on a scrappy little notepad from a local parts supplier, doesn't look very professional. There was a lot of talk about there being some opening offer coupons for another £1000 off (or something like that). The salesperson went out about three times to "discuss with sales haed" whether they had coupons remaining - "oh we've just sold another one, so we're down to the last one now".
Px offer for the Zed started about £500 iirc, after a few more trips out to "see the sales head" this went up to about £1500 ("but only for today"), sales are going so well I can't guarantee what you'll get tomorrow.
Sign to order one today and you don't have to accept it - would you risk that?
Despite them having my name, address, phone number & email I have not had any kind of follow up.
I have seen since that there were indeed some heady sales figures that weekend - drumroll please...
Other nearest dealers (at a guess) about 10 miles, 2 at about 30 miles, then next one about 100.
They sold two!
Bet Alfa, Ford, Vauxhal et al are shaking in their boots.
Hope they didn't produce too many "coupons"
Thing is from what I've read (so not personally) the prices you state for those other cars are list - you won't have to pay that much. I've seen it said that you'll get a Mondeo with similar spec to a TSE for a few k less than the Magnette. Same with Vauxhall with the Insignia.
MG won't (or can't) move on the price.