MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having seen the MG 6 on flyers and on the net, I wasn't too impressed. My initial thought it was like a Nissan Primera sporting a quality badge. Well, I was treated to tickets to the MPH Top Gear Live show at the NEC and facing me on my entry was the MG6 and MG Zero concept car. I was pleasantly surprised and have had a change of heart. The concept car I can see flying out the showrooms should it come into production in 2 years time. There's alot of gimmicky stuff on it like holograms of the marque on each of the headrests which is not certain to make it into the car when in production. The MG6, going into production next March will start at c£16k upto top end spec of around £19-20k. Its a very spacious car, the boot is generous, top spec model has the rear parking camera. The funny thing for me was that it just smelled like the new Rovers, took me right back to when my Dad (Rover employee for 45 years) used to bring the new ones home! The quality of the cockpit is a little disappointing, it doesn't have the wow factor. Very plastic looking and uninspiring. Regular clocks and dials, nothing flash. It certainly has a place in the market, middle of the road, not in anyway top end. We just need to campaign to keep Clarkson and friends away from it, he needs to be gagged on all things MG! I've added some photos but I'm not sure I've done it right.

Well worth the day out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The thing i like about MG's are they are an unusal car to own. You only really have one if you really want one, and not many people do so makes them a little more unusal to own. Oh f**k it i'll just get a Clio or a Focus or some other really common and uninspiring car. NO, I too quite like the new MG's but will refrain from buying one until there about 4~5 years old and i can pick up a top of the range one for about £2k which has already had the open cone inner wing upgrade installed by the previous owner.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree, you only own one if you really want one. Not like the others who have been brainwashed into only owning Fords, Peugots or BMWs, Renaults or Citreons (Uurgh!) I see the MG Zero giving the Saxo boy racers a run for their money. Owning an MG is like the ultimate in support for anything British (albeit not quite British anymore) but hey, its British made, good enough for me. I spoke to a guy on the stand and he worked for MGRover before its collapse, went to VW and as soon as he heard they were making the MGs at Longbridge again, he came straight back. He said the heart wasn't in the making of the VWs. Everyone concerned with getting the MGs back into production had MG and Rover in their blood and hearts ... I like this, it makes me want one just for that!

Cheryl

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Saw both cars at the show and was impressed with the design and finish. Liked the clunk of the doors when they shut. The MG6 looks like a lot of car for the money when you compare it with the other cars in its class. Looking forward to seeing the production version of the Zero.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts