MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
MG ZT520 MG's last official works car to be auctioned 14/1/12

From Brian Luti (Dreadnought) yesterday (on the Two-Sixties Forum)

"Paul and I have decided to put the ZT520 up for auction in the Coys sale on the 14th Jan at the Autosport Show in Birmingham. We will not race the car again and as it has had an engine and gearbox rebuild we think this is now the time to let it go. There has been some interest in the car as its the last official works car and it has all the paperwork to go with it.
The car was originaly built as the prototype for a one make series but the factory closure ended that project. The Big Car as it was often called did its job and gave us and MG a lot of fun and press cover but its time for us to move on"

Some of us have seen this car in action at MGCC Silverstone and some have been lucky enough to have been driven around Castle Combe in it at past Stroke Association Charity Days

http://www.racethemg.com/paulluti/pressreports/mgzt.html

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3507087.htm

2005 MG ZT 520- The last Official Works Car Produced.

In 2001, three years after the launch of the Rover 75 and less than a year after the de-merger of MG Rover from BMW, the MG ZT and MG ZT-T were launched. During the cars' development, the models were codenamed X10 and X11 for the saloon and estate version respectively. The bodyshell and chassis of the car was almost identical to the Rover 75, but with more aggressive grille, sportier styling, stiffer suspension, and re-tuned engines. Peter Stevens, designer of the McLaren F1, took the lead role in the cars' design.

This car was one of the prototype saloon cars proposed for saloon car racing in the UK and Europe. There were variants built for German DTM silhouette series, the Belgium BELCAR series and this car for the UK. Chassis 100563 was not connected to MG Sports and Racing but, according to the vendor, and a letter within the cars file from Rod Ramsey, formally Managing Director of MG Rover sales, 100563 was as such the last official works car produced.

The car was built as a shell by Paul Huffer and supplied to the renowned Dreadnought Garage in Scotland on completion. Fitted with a MG ZT 520 race specification engine, this 520 bhp is coupled with an Elite IL300 sequential six speed gearbox. Full engine specifications are available in the car's file.

As featured in MG enthusiasts magazine, and the renowned 'Safety Fast' MG publication, build costs for 100563 exceeded 140,000 pounds. Finished in pearl black with green stripes this represents a once in a life time opportunity to purchase the last MG ever produced. Not to be missed.

Estimate: £27,000 to £35,000

This car is going under the hammer at Coys forthcoming auction at the Autosport Show on January 14th at the NEC. For further information please contact Coys on +44 (0) 208 6147 888 or go towww.coys.co.uk

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Hi Jerry

As you say the Big Car did a lot for Paul and MG but its time to move on. I did offer it to the Heritage Collection but after a few calls they decided against it. We no longer have the storage space and with the purchase of my 1969 Cooper S, space is at a premium. We do a lot more restoration work and race car building for clients and these projects take up a lot of space. We have other goals to work towards and Paul has also bought back his sisters race metro which he hopes to take out at Silverstone in 2012 . There are a lot of new exciting projects in the air so watch this space.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Sounds like the car has done you proud, got you known and brought in the right type of work.

As Jerry said, the reason I went to Castle Coombe charity event a few years back was to see the car. Had a chat to Paul, so friendly and informative, even with all the rushing around going on.

Hope the auction goes well, and all the best for 2012 with the racing.

:wave:

·
Wrote off but not Dead YET !!!
4,803 Posts
Brian, its all lovely and shiny ready for auction now, loved working on this beast :yup:

·
MG ZR Racer
25 Posts
Should I advertise it in Aus
Advertising it and selling are two different things as you know. Be great if it came here but I think most of the locals who would buy the late model cars have bought up already. We have the Belcar ZT, god knows how many Cup F/TF's, ZR Judd and a couple of trophy series ZR's. They are the owners who probably would of considered this. Would love it in my garage if the budget was a bit bigger!

Have you had much interest in it?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Probably right :) guy from .org went on a visit and filmed it doing a burnout lol
And that would be the exact reason I would leave it where it was, probably taken out and canned from cold by ever Tom dick and plonker who could blag the keys!!

Seen it happen to many times

·
Wrote off but not Dead YET !!!
4,803 Posts
it is currently on show at MG sales centre Birmingham, it was taken here after the auction at the autosport show as the previous dealers it was at it was left outside in the yard!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts