MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

MG ZS180 issue

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  costel21 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!

I have recently bought a 2002 MG ZS180, car looks good inside and out, very clean.
I have not tested the car before buying it.
After i received the car i noticed a lack of power and i thought it must be inlet maniflod and vis motors.
I have previously owned another ZS180 with very low mileage and i know how it should run ( i still own old zs but it's now kept for spares only)
I have changed complete inlet manifold with vis motors, throttle body and all sensors that came with them but still no change.
I also changed until now the following: cam sensor, crank sensor, spark plugs, coil packs with leads, O2 sensors on both banks. I have not changed until now: temp sensors on the engine, fuel pump, after cat O2 sensor, ecu.
I do not know what would be the problem as i never experienced this on any car.
When the car is idle and you put your foot down the car revs until 6000rpm than drops to around 5000 and stays there as it is strangled. When you disconect map sensor the car revs to 7000rpm.
I have made a video with this but i don't know how to upload them from the phone.
Any help is welcomed.

Thank you!

See less See more
#2 ·
Here are the videos:
https://streamable.com/s/ps92b/fqeggw
https://streamable.com/s/sizca/gmodvp

When driving with MAP sensor disconnected the car stalls at 6000rpm in 2nd gear, and at about 5500 in 1st. The car pulls a little bit better when disconnected but the engine feels like dying when you go slow or when you get moving from still.

I noticed that the engine seems like misfiring. For example on idle you can feel the gases from the exhaust not being constant and have that misfire gaps. Also the sound of the engine exhaust is wrong sometimes when you rev the engine, it seems like a misfire that is not always present and the engine check light does not come on.

I do not know what to check next. Timing? temp sensors? electrical wiring?

Regards

#3 ·
what's the situation with the exhaust system? Is is using the original cats? Have you used a infrared temperature gun to see if they are operating? I recently had mine on T4 with a failed Map sensor but it didn't run badly like yours. It must be a night mare running these cars abroad without any backup.

#4 ·
The exhaust looks genuine except the center box and back box which are aftermarket.
I used to run my old ZS without a cat and a pre-cat and never had a trouble.
I don't thing it's the MAP sensor because i changed it and it does the same thing.
I will try to change after cat O2 sensor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.