MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I had my car mot'd serviced 28th july, upon the service they said the gakset had gone so after £800 later the mg was fine again. i checked the oil and water this morning and found both to be completly empty. (engine management light has been on for last few days too, temperature remains half way, no loss in power too). i have only driven it 1900 miles since the gasket replacement and now it appears it has gone again! i filled up the the water and took a short trip to the shops, when i got back the water was spewing out of the engine (sorry not very knowledgable with engines).

Its only been 4 - 5 months, is the garage at fault? as they have not done a good job? should i contact trading standards if they refuse to replace it for free. Any help / advice and thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Jamie

·
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.
12,325 Posts
ask rally matt for advice on here.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
take it back to them saying its not done right, most garages would give you a 12 month guarantee, if you payed £800 then it shouldnt have gone in that period of time

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
If water and oil were empty doesnt mean the HG has gone again!! It cant be mixing oil+water if both were empty...... Have you not checked the levels since July...?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
What were the symptoms that made them think it had gone the first time? Did they fix the problem or just replace the head gasket?

·
won hay-tee
607 Posts
You drove the car for a few days with the engine management light on ?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
If you go back to garage and tell them that good luck mate, the owners manual says stop and contact dealer. It comes on for a reason.

Depends on what you had done and what garage, did they offer a warranty?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
take it back to them saying its not done right, most garages would give you a 12 month guarantee, if you payed £800 then it shouldnt have gone in that period of time
If you drive a car with no coolant then what do you expect, hard to blame a garage for that?

·
Still not cured of MG addiction
7,110 Posts
What were the symptoms that made them think it had gone the first time? Did they fix the problem or just replace the head gasket?
That is exactly what I would like to know. Because it doesn't look like it was the head gasket does it? If it was, you wouldn't be having problems again after it being replaced.

·
Since 1987.
92 Posts
Not sure if all ZSs are the same, but on my Mk2 180 you only need to panic if the MIL is flashing. Mine is on right now but it's only an O2 sensor issue, which I'm not too worried about for the moment.

Were the oil and coolant both definitely completely empty? Surely you'd have a seized engine right now if that were so?

Where was the water spewing out of, too? If you removed the cap with the engine hot then it probably spewed out because it's pressurized and hot in there.

·
won hay-tee
607 Posts
Not sure if all ZSs are the same, but on my Mk2 180 you only need to panic if the MIL is flashing. Mine is on right now but it's only an O2 sensor issue, which I'm not too worried about for the moment.

It would appear that in this case, the engine management light was attempting to tell him that he was destroying his engine.

You can lead a horse to water, etc etc.

·
Ahhh. It's good to be back.....
1,454 Posts
Come on guys he is new to the forum and some people can make mistakes.

A few years ago I'd have driven the car with the engine management light on if I hadn't gained a bit of knowledge from being on here. He's come on to ask some experts what he should do not comment on what he's done wrong.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts