MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
The MG ZS EX260’s return to Brands Hatch this weekend driven by Anthony Reid and Warren Hughes. MG made headlines at the circuit last year when Anthony secured their first ever race victory in the BTCC. MG was the only manufacturer to break the stronghold of Vauxhall who were dominant for the majority of the 2001 season. The weekend also saw Warren secure MG’s first ever pole position in the championship.

Both drivers are determined to build on their previous success at Brands Hatch. Anthony Reid, driver of car number 11, said: "I love Brands Hatch and especially the Grand Prix circuit. Traditionally one of the strengths of the MG ZS is the way it handles - it has a strong chassis and Brands really suits the car. I’m very much looking forward to racing there this weekend.

The test at Donington this week showed us that the engine has the power we want - we just need more track time to turn it into useable power! It's still early days for the new car and it goes without saying that the more time we spend with it the more we will get to know it."

Warren Hughes, driver of car number 12, added: "I'm really looking forward to Brands especially as we're going to be racing on the Grand Prix circuit. I've raced on it many times in Formula 3 and Formula Ford and had quite a bit of success there so it brings back good memories! It's quite a challenging circuit but that only makes it all the more exciting. The chassis has come on in leaps and bounds over the winter testing and now, with the new engine on board, I can’t wait to get started."

An immense amount of development work has taken place during the winter season. Dick Bennetts, managing director, WSR said: "What WSR have achieved in 16 weeks has been a testament to the skills and dedication of everyone involved. From testing in Southern Europe with the MGZS EX259 to designing and building the new MG ZS EX260, the team at WSR has done a tremendous job.'

The tests so far with the development components have shown positive signs of improvement over last years lap times. This weekend at Brands Hatch will be a true test for the whole team but one which everyone is revved up for."

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Saturday 2nd session practice times.

Yvan MULLER FRA Vauxhall Astra Coupe 1:33.576
Matt NEAL GBR Vauxhall Astra Coupe 1:33.717
James THOMPSON GBR Vauxhall Astra Coupe 1:33.829
Tom CHILTON GBR Vauxhall Astra Coupe 1:34.492
Anthony REID GBR MG ZS 1:34.542
Warren HUGHES GBR MG ZS 1:34.689
Dan EAVES GBR Peugeot 406 Coupe 1:34.740
Paul O'NEILL GBR Vauxhall Astra Coupe 1:35.020
Andy PRIAULX GBR Honda Civic Type-R 1:35.208
Tim HARVEY GBR Peugeot 406 Coupe 1:35.471
Alan MORRISON GBR Honda Civic Type-R 1:35.490
Aaron SLIGHT NZL Vauxhall Astra Coupe 1:37.252
Phil BENNETT GBR Proton Impian 1:37.397
Mark FULLALOVE GBR Peugeot 306 1:39.369
Graham SAUNDERS GBR Alfa 156 1:39.921
Spencer MARSH GBR Honda Accord 1:40.002
Mark THOMAS GBR Honda Accord 1:40.021
Alan BLENCOWE GBR Alfa 156 1:41.183
James KAYE GBR Honda Civic Type-R 1:41.303
Robert COLLARD GBR Renault Clio 1:42.557
Arnie TEMPLETON GBR Peugeot 306 1:45.815
David LESLIE GBR Proton Impian 1:51.369
Jim EDWARDS Jnr GBR Honda Accord 1:57.386

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
5th and 6th fastest, can't be bad for cars, and a team, that are still regarded as 'newcomers'.
Let's wait and see what tomorrows qualifying session brings.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Race Day

Reid 4th on Sprint Race and 3rd on Feature race :D
Hughes - puncture on Sprint Race. and unlucky on feature race - was leading for most of the race. Safety Car spoilt the day - full result on mains site.

Nice to see some of the contributors to the Forums and was it Pete (Cambs) who I chatted to in the car park as we tried to leave. Hopefully recruited a ZT-T driver - while he waited to leave. V. Small world of MG enthusiasts we are. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Good Day

Had a long day out to Brands but enjoyed it. Good to see the guys are up there. Well done on this second year. Nice to meet few of the forum members hope to see u at the next round;)

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
Who was there!

I noticed in the car park leaving - me - Pete - Kevin - ZT-T190 - a Le mans Green ZR (not many others seen at all- except the Management cars). Hopefully persuaded Matts friend to sign a cheque for a ZS180.

Overall, disappointed at the number of ZEDS there - would seem that in the field 50% post on this Forum. :D :D Or was I in the wrong field waiting to leave?????

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
A great day was to be had. Shame about Warren Hughes, couldn't believe it when he had puncture and put his stirring drive to an end. But the star of the first race must go to Anthony "SuperStar" Reid. What a stint he put in. Last on the first lap, went off on the grass to avoid someone elses accident then slices through the field, like a hot knife through butter, finished 4th overall. A champion in the making.

Hughes had some bad luck whilst leading. Pace car was out, picked him as he was leading and lost all of his advantage. I'm sure if he had pitted when the commentators thought he was going to he would have romped home in first place.

There's more to come. And as for Vauxhall's advert about wiping the floor, best they get onto the marketing boyz because MG are going to be champions this year.

Nice to see Brands Hatch again. Last time was 1984 for the Grand Prix. A much better circuit than Silverstone will ever be. Why, oh why can't it go back to Brands Hatch(Grand Prix). Might be that there is not enough space for the Corporate Hospitality Units. Shame that these folks think so much about these people.

Met JLD and Elaine on M11 having a Berger on the way home.

Jim

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Lasting memory for me has to be the start of the sprint race.
Watch it from next to Warren Hughes' grid position.
People around us were totally g*bsmacked at the way he set off.
8th on the grid and made up 4 (yes 4) places by the time he got past the finish line (only a matter of yards!!!!!). Pity that he suffered from such bad lucl later in the race.

·
Registered
521 Posts
When I finally got out of the circuit I had to go left towards Maidstone on the A20, saw several Zeds coming out of a different exit further on, along with a great looking Tommy Mak Replica Evo.
Thought that there were a few more than at first appearance, but as Jerry pointed out most of the board members cars to me as we talked I'd have to say that 50% is probably right. Jerry I'm still getting grief for not letting the fair lady drive the car more than five yards in the traffic jam, had to promise her that she can drive it to Oulton Park.:rolleyes: :confused:

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Which car park were you in?
There seemed to be plenty of Zeds parked near us (and a lot of MGFs). Lots arriving about 8.50 - 9.00 in the morning.
We were parked quite near the entrance near Clearways.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts