MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
'Him' is everywhere!
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following the interest generated by a similar thread concerning the MG Lola EX257, I was wondering whether anybody had any reference of what Chassis Nºs were allocated to the 'original' two EX259 touring cars.

The first two EX259 cars, as used by Anthony Reid (Entry Nº 2) and Warren Hughes (Entry Nº 20), contested the final 6 rounds of the BTCC at Silverstone, Donington and Brands Hatch last year. These cars were designed and built by Lola.

For the first rounds of this year BTCC at Brands Hatch, Reid was allocated one of the new WSR designed and built EX260 cars, whilst Hughes used the same car that he had last year, albeit modified to an interim specification.

At Oulton Park for Rds 3 & 4 of the BTCC, the second EX260 was completed for Hughes, whilst the EX259s were reliveried and modified for the Atomic Kitten team.

At this meeting I was fortunate to see the Chassis Nº of Reid's car as being - 'MGZS EX260 Chassis Nº 2002T - 01'. This plate is clearly visible on the rollcage, adjacent to the nearside A post. Later in the meeting, Hughes' car was confirmed as '02'.

Whilst watching the very late arriving Atomic Kitten car of Gareth Howell being assembled on the Saturday morning, I overheard one of the mechanics mention to an RACMSA scrutineer that he did not have the car's logbook, and the car had not yet been used this season.

From this we can assume that the car Howell eventually used that weekend was Reid's car from 2001, with Colin Turkington using the 2001 Hughes car.

Does anybody know what the Chassis Nº of these two Atomic Kitten cars are then? It is stamped onto a Lola Cars alloy plate on the nearside of the center console / gearshift housing.

For your reference, the Sport & Racing and the Atomic Kitten show cars are numbered with WSR Chassis Nº plates in the same position on the rollcage as per the actual race cars. They are numbered '2001 - SC01' and '2001 - SC02' respectively. 'SC' denoting show car I guess.

Be interested in your thoughts or knowledge...

David

·
Supporting RML in LMES & Dyson In ALMS
2,085 Posts
I was at the London Irish Rugby match at the Madejski Statium in Reading on 16/03/02 and saw a display of the X-Power cars, (MG Rover are the shrit sponsors of London Irish )

The first car was an Atomic Kitten EX259 ZS with the Chassis plate where you describe it read 2001-SC02 as you say.

There was also a EX258 ZS car with the new Hot Wheels Livery.
I had a good look around but there was not a chassis plate on show. The car did not have a number plate either just the X-Power type as used at the 2002 Launch, I assume that it was the same showcar. I suppose it's best to use the cars registrations (even though they may change the chassis as in the old days

- This last part should really be in the rally section I suppose.

·
'Him' is everywhere!
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 'nobbynobster', always nice to hear where the cars have been on display, even the show cars.

By the sounds of things the AK car is the same one that I saw at Oulton Park.

I assume the ZR EX258 that you saw, which was also at the 2002 launch at Longbridge, was only a show car so therefore it would not carry a registration number. To confirm this point, did it have the big spotlights in the (much deeper) front spoiler/bumper? Did it have the dummy duct on the bonnet?

Maybe other forum members could also say whether they saw any of the ZS EX259 / EX260 show cars at any meetings, car shows, dealerships, etc...

I'll post another thread regarding Chassis Nºs and sightings of the ZR EX258 rally cars / show cars in the correct section.

Thanks again,

David

·
2,085 Posts
Extreme

I can't really remember about the EX258 but i think it had the big headlights though, It must have been the show car.
I was trying to remember the AK number at the time and had had a few pints of the black stuff.
The only reason that i looked at the AK car was that i thought it may have been the X-power car re-liveried with the AK livery, seems as though there is an x-power show car as well, just that you don't see them together, perhaps they were cunning and changed the plate. Will we ever see the x-power car again???

Next time we see the AK car we'll have to scratch a bit of the yellow paint off and see whats below!!!!

Only joking

·
'Him' is everywhere!
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both show cars do exist!

NobbyNobster,

Both show cars do actually exist, as the photo below testifies. It was taken outside the MG hospitality suite at the BTCC Oulton Park meeting last month.

David

Attachments

·
2,085 Posts
Nice Pic Extreme,

Saves me getting done for Vandalisum

Our Mission now is to find out the ZSs chassis numbers

Cheers Nobby

·
'Him' is everywhere!
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got one!

Hi again Nobby,

As I mentioned on another thread, I went to the BTCC Test Day at Donington today. Whilst it was very quiet (really all day!) I had the opportunity to ask one of the Atomic Kitten chaps - actually I think it was non other than Team Manger Rod Underwood himself! - about the Chassis Nºs on each of the cars.

After he had picked himself up off the garage floor in shear boredom(!). he said help yourself to a look! The actual Chassis Nº is stamped onto a Lola Cars alloy plate on the nearside of the center console / gearshift housing.

I only saw one car, the Nº 22 entry of Colin Turkington (formerly Warren Hughes' car). The Nº was as follows :

MODEL: MG-BTC-01/002
CHASSIS Nº HU: 0170-2

Doesn't really mean much to me, apart from it might be 002. Will have to see the other car to confirm it is (probably!) 001!

Will also forward this to Lola&Lotus (Pierre) for his reference, seeing as the 2001 cars were built by Lola Cars, and he is documenting their history!

Kind regards,

David

·
2,085 Posts
Hi Agent Extreme,

Good work getting the number, I think it is broken down like this:

MG = Make
BTC = British Touring Car
01/002 = Year / Individual Number

and

HU = The latest lola reference
0170 = The number from the register
-2 = Individual Number

Its interesting that the number EX259 is not in the number as these numbers are part of the MG EX Drawing number register that was started at the begining of the company e.g EX127 "The Magic Midget"
Mind you thats the same for the EX257s

·
If in doubt, flat out!
1,489 Posts
Hi Agent Extreme,

Good work getting the number, I think it is broken down like this:

MG = Make
BTC = British Touring Car
01/002 = Year / Individual Number

and

HU = The latest lola reference
0170 = The number from the register
-2 = Individual Number

Its interesting that the number EX259 is not in the number as these numbers are part of the MG EX Drawing number register that was started at the begining of the company e.g EX127 "The Magic Midget"
Mind you thats the same for the EX257s

sorry to bring this back from the dead, just doing some research since i now own sc01 as its known. i can confirm it has no chassis numbers anywhere. not even a vin number, the plate is totally blank

1 - 9 of 9 Posts