MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have been viewing this forum for over a month now. But this is my first post.

Over the weekend i just purchased a ZS 180 Saloon Facelift version, in a sort of Black colour with a hint of purple (when you look up close). It has a full service history, with 24k on the clock. All this for £3K. I can't believe it. I have loved the look of these cars for years and now at this price i just had to get one.

I am now a very happy boy. :)

My old car was a MK4 Golf, Which was a good car but a little boring in comparison.

First thing i am going to do is get a Blaupunkt Nashville DAB35 or Woodstock DAB 54, i had the latter in my golf and it's a fantastic unit, with the DAB radio being very clear with a lot more choice of stations. So if anyone knows anyone that has one of these for sale, please let me know.

Also if anyone would like to make me an offer for the Kenwood Tape/tuner + CD changer, that is currently in the car, as it will be coming out soon.

Will 225 45 17 tyres fit ok on the ZS, currently it has 205 45 17 on it, but these look a bit narrow for the wheels, as the wheels stick out slightly and are very suceptable to curbing.

I will be posting some picks of the car as soon as i get around to taking some.

Cheers

Alastair

·
MKII MGZS180
2,314 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I frequent Nottingham alot and will keep an eye out. As for the tyres, a few have gone for 215/40/17 as a compromise to the stock 205.

Gald you have made the change from one of the most boring common as muck car to a rare mk2 ZS180.

·
won hay-tee
607 Posts
Are the 05 cars not the ones that are in the high tax bracket?

·
Lighten up dude
1,154 Posts
:

Welcome to the board

- search 'tyres' and you will find lots of threads on this subject. The 180 alloys are very susceptible to curbing - both my wife and I managed to scrape the nearside set once or twice after we got ours until we had the width of the Zed down (me in 2 days her in 2 months.. :sofa::D - only kidding girls). You can get then refurbed for about £45 a wheel I believe it you do have a scrape (and you probably will).

I stuck with the standard MGR setup when I put Avon ZZ3's on all round - I figured MGR spent a good deal of time tuning the tyres/wheels/suspension so I didn't want to mess with that. Car is excellent in the dry with good balance, grip and turn in. In the wet you have to be steady because you will have torque steer if you boot it and there is a tendency to understeer if you turn in at speed and throttle up clumsily - just my early experience of judging the cars limits.

Oh - get the front tracking checked when you can - I lost my first set of tyres in less than 8 months because this was a couple of degrees out when I bought it (deep wear on one tyre edge only) - it's a commonish problem on the Zed with the taught suspension, especially if the front has been curbed or the car has hit a deep pothole.

P

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No idea on the tax Bracket. I just know that it will be a fair bit more than the £125 a year for my Golf.

So are 215 40 17s the same overall diameter as 205 45 17s? I had Michelin Pilit Sports on My Golf, but looks as if to stay with Michelin i would need to get Michelin Pilot Exalto's, they seem rather expensive.

R8NMG - I actually live bang inbetween Notts and Loughborough.

Also, does anyone know of a place that refubishes wheels in the east midlands for a good price?

Cheers

·
MKII MGZS180
2,314 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just got stung on my ZS180 V6 facelift, £405 for the year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The problem with mine is when it was 1st bought it was originally registered abroad, guy was posted in the army, so it was only 1st registered in the uk on 1/3/2007. All cars over 225 g/KM go into tax bracket 'K' as of the last budget, however cars registered before 1/3/2006 are excluded from this change and stay in tax bracket 'L' ( our cars are 227 )

So you should only pay £215 per year as long as it was 1st registered in the UK before 1/3/2006.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I just got stung on my ZS180 V6 facelift, £405 for the year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The problem with mine is when it was 1st bought it was originally registered abroad, guy was posted in the army, so it was only 1st registered in the uk on 1/3/2007. All cars over 225 g/KM go into tax bracket 'K' as of the last budget, however cars registered before 1/3/2006 are excluded from this change and stay in tax bracket 'L' ( our cars are 227 )

So you should only pay £215 per year as long as it was 1st registered in the UK before 1/3/2006.
bet that came as a suprise as it should only be £215 or at most £235 for an 05 plate. He must have not bought the car through the correct channels since when I was over there the ebenfit of buying a proper BFG car was that the date you registered it was its new date, guys that bought cars through german and dutch dealers got a slightly better deal (and still no tax) but their logbook said 'first registered aboad' on them whereas BFG cars had 'registered new in the UK' on the logbook.

These cars were very popular out there, the ZR was insanely popular since it came with 1 years free insurance (German insurers wont insure under 21's on over 100bhp so it was the only way MGR could shift the bloody things!)

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
Welcome to XPF.

Over the weekend i just purchased a ZS 180 Saloon Facelift version, in a sort of Black colour with a hint of purple (when you look up close).
Any idea what your Paint Code is?

·
Still not cured of MG addiction
7,110 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)

What about the car the folks on this forum used to have, they were in the lake district I think, that car was monogram. Dark Fantasy was it?

I'm putting 2 and 2 together but could it be that car?

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
Pam and Neil's car was a 54 plate. Pam described it as a blue/maroon/bronze flip.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would say mine is similar to the Dark Fantasy ZS, but a tad blacker, looks black from a distance, but not so black close up.

Good to know that my Tax will only be £215, was getting worried for a while.

Cheers for all the replies, I feel very welcome and a happy ZS owner.

·
MKII MGZS180
2,314 Posts
I would say mine is similar to the Dark Fantasy ZS, but a tad blacker, looks black from a distance, but not so black close up.
I have a feeling it might just be Pearl Black. There is a 3 letter paint code on the passenger side door pillar, can you post up what it is?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts