MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my MG ZS 120+ with 17" wheels and in Blue one the 1st ( 3rd MG since Sept promised the misses to at least fill the windscreen bottle up with water this time before getting a new one ).

The problem is, when driving around town the car is great very shore footed, but once on the motorway 70-80 it seems to wonder between the 2 white lines quite a lot, it seems very unhappy at going in a straight line. Has anyone else had anything similar? What seems to be the avg. fuel consumption with the 120 after its run in?

Well chuffed with the car, much better than the 2 ZR's I had 1.4/2.0 :D

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Sounds like tramlining to me.

On the motorway, when the lorries repeatedly drive down the motorway, eventually they dig a "rut" into the tarmac, the the car has a tendency to get pulled into these ruts.

The problem gets worse the larger your wheels are. (usually!)

HTH!

·
MG ZT-T 190
6,716 Posts
Wont be long till you upgrade to a 180 then? What spoiler option is it with the 120? The 180 I have no problem!
I think the big spoiler does help stability!
Checked the simple things like the tyre pressures? Does the suspension on new cars need to settle?

Kelvin

·
MG ZT-T 190
6,716 Posts
I agree with the tramline theory also..
Often only short sections of the motorway affected... You need to find a good 'A' road thats perhaps does not get huge volumes of lorry traffic (or an airfield/private road) if the car still wanders then get the dealer to check the geometry!

Kelvin

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
I've gone for the bigger spoiler.

I think the tram linning is probably correct, I went to Coventry Sat. and evrythink seemed fine, but a 10 mile stretch to work in Chorley, Lancs thats were the problem is.

as for upgrading to the 180, there was no free insurance on that and the saloon cost £13130, the 120+ cost me £11300 ( the advantages of being an employee of BAE ):cool:

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Had my ZS 120 since october and as yet (4k miles) I haven't experience any tramlining except near home where the roads are yet to surfaced (new estate).
Like jfoste mine has the 17" wheels but the smaller spoiler.
Can't say that I've had any stability problems at motorway speeds. Perhaps it's the difference between 4 and 5 doors?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
If you are talking about the stretch of the M61 between Bolton and Chorley, then I can confirm that is notorious!
Many drivers complain about it, and it has not been resurfaced. Ever.:eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Dave thats where it is from junc 6 ( REEBOK STADIUM ) to junc 8

I went home on the A roads last night the car felt spot on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts