MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am hoping to buy the above but has a starting problem when hot. It had the head gasket done recently with reciepts. It starts fine when cold and runs fine when hot but if stalled or turning engine off and tryin to start again it don't want to start until cooled down. Its as if its ran out of petrol when trying to restart the engine. Its had the spark plugs and engine coolant sensor changed.. Any help will be appreciated thank u

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
I'd stick a diagnostic tool on it such as a scangauge and check that each of the sensors are working, could be as simple as the air temp sensor not plugged back in properly.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi windy ummm odb reader was attatched when cold and it came up low fuel pressure. My mate gonna attatch reader when hot see if it brings up any other info

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi windy ummm odb reader was attatched when cold and it came up low fuel pressure. My mate gonna attatch reader when hot see if it brings up any other info

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I used the code reader and it came up code 313 n 313 p I believe. The indtruction booklet said that its definately low fuel pressure...... Could this poss be the fuel pump or fuel rail???? But as said the problem was after head gasket done and only happens when engine turned off when temp ran up

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
I was suggesting looking at the sensor values, not the fault codes. What temperature do you see from the air intake temperature sensor and coolant temperature sensor?

Low fuel pressure is not a common problem so I don't know what that is likely to be, I guess it could also be a faulty fuel pressure regulator. I don't see why that would effect hot starting, especially if it seems to run OK, must be worth trying to sort it though.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
If the timing is out would that cause problems????

Just if the head was off and its a bit out, or will the ECU compensate??

:wave:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Could be a fuel pump. Disconnect the return fuel hose and put a finger on, then let your mate turn the ignition in position 2. If you can stop the flow with your finger, it is definetely a fuel pump. Fuel pressure regulators don't fail at Rover.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Problem resolved( as such) I took the car to my mate... A mechanic and he done a compression test after car had warmed up.... Number 2 and 3 cylinder was really low so possible cracked liner etc.. Started with a jump starter pack though.. Thanks anyway guys... Obviously not buyin car... But will keep ideas in mind.. Especially fuel pump one. Thanks again

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Obviously this was the reason he was selling I guess. You did well to enquire as you did and write it off as a no no.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts