MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys got a 2004 mg zs 1.6 and want to know if you can turn it into a turbo like you can with the 1.8 as you know see other cars turboing 1.6 cars now

·
Economy motoring
2,301 Posts
You can but it would cost more than dropping in a T series and it would never match the T series for power. Reliability would also be a concern as the 4 pot K series eats head gaskets in standard tune. My opinion is don't do it. If you want more power get a 180. If you want more power after that, get another car or drop in a T series. If you are feeling really flush have a look at Martin Reylands VAG 1.8T conversion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can but it would cost more than dropping in a T series and it would never match the T series for power. Reliability would also be a concern as the 4 pot K series eats head gaskets in standard tune. My opinion is don't do it. If you want more power get a 180. If you want more power after that, get another car or drop in a T series. If you are feeling really flush have a look at Martin Reylands VAG 1.8T conversion.
if you dont mind me asking whats a t series? also i wouldnt afford a 2.5 v6 180 mate

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
T series was the 2 litre 16v turbo engine fitted to Rover 220/420/620/820 turbos.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
T series was the 2 litre 16v turbo engine fitted to Rover 220/420/620/820 turbos.
are they any good? as i would really like to make a turbo out of a mg zs shall i do it with a 1.8 like the conversion someone done on here

·
Economy motoring
2,301 Posts
If you can't afford a 180 then tbh the only turbo ZS within reach would be a turbo deisel. Even if you did go ahead and slap a turbo on the K4 1.6 it would cost you more than buying a 180. Not to mention the insurance premiums. You could drop in a 1.8 turbo from a ZT but they only make 160bhp so unless you spend loads of money on that, it will be out performed by a 180 anyway. If you're handy with a spanner and have space in the garage, get a T series and rebuild it yourself. Pay a company (AA Autosport etc) to drop it in your engine bay and they will sort out the electrics. You will have an engine capable of well over 300bhp if you build it with power in mind. No K4 or KV6 can match the T series for tuning potential.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Yep I agree with billbo, swapping the engine wont be cheap. You can buy a ZS180 for very little now. Pointless sticking with the 1.6 in a ZS its just too heavy you need a V6 or a 2.0Turbo to get it moving quick enough really.

Alternatively if your after a fast car, you can buy a 2.5 Turbo R33 Skyline for just £1500 for a standard motor and upto £7/8k for a modified version or the 4wd GTR.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts