MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only 2 months old, 1,000 miles and rust is very visible on all 4 brackets!

Has any one else experienced this. Took it back to dealer - spoiler was comming adrift as well - they resprayed over the rust!

J-Bo

Attachments

G

·
J-Bo - firstly welcome to the board!

For a car of thie age this is unacceptable. Rather than get them resprayed ask your dealer to replace them. I know my local dealer Kernahan would do this.

Alternatively, take them off and get them powder coated. Or, a great friend of mine may fabricate them in replacement material if required - Stainless or Aluminium. See F.R Fletcher & Son. He would obviously need a pattern and it may take him a while to get around to do it - but when I had a TR8 - he supplied much for me in S/S. The e-mail doesn't work on his site. :(

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks XPower Admin!

You're right of course, I need to stop pussy footing around and get the dealer replace them.

Just can't bear to be without it! ;)

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Shouldn't need to be without it for long IMHO... They should change them over for you quite quickly. If they need painting, they can do that before you take the car in so then they just take off the existing ones and replace with the new ones....

(of course, they might be more difficult to fit than that, but I can't really see why....)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Rusty Brackets

experienced exactly the same problem with my 160 at around the same mileage. My local dealer replaced the brackets in approx 30 minutes. Unfortunately I think the problem will arise again in the next few months so it may well be worth treating/protecting them in some way.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bonker

Who is your dealer? Mine has told me that the brackets come as part of the whole skirt kit so they are looking at a repair job rather than a replacement, for the moment anyway.

If I could put them in touch with a dealer who has dealt with this problem before, may be they could get some advice ;)

They were very surprised with the extent of the rust ... looks like a design fault to me :mad:

J-Bo

·
Registered
24 Posts
My dealer is Newtown Motors, Cwmbran, Gwent. Tel. 01633 485251. They replaced the brackets about 6 weeks ago. Good luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had exactally the same problems..

The brackets were replaced, the new ones seem to have a differet coating on them so they should last.

I also queried my spoiler and was told that every ZR had a loose spoiler, it seems to be part of the design..

Andy

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info Andy.

My car was collected on Monday, still with them, they must be making a good job of it. So much for not being without it for very long!

J-Bo

·
Registered
29 Posts
The delay is probally due to the time it takes to get spare parts out..

The cable that operates the tilt machansim in my seat has broken, they reckon it will take a few weeks for it to arrive..

Its a cable for chuff's sake it can be posted!!".. (But thats a different story..)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No new parts, they've said. This is because the only way they can see of sourcing them is to purchase the skirts as well (£££). Also, they feel the new brackets may be no better than the ones I've already got. So they've removed them, cleaned them up and are respraying them within the dealership.

Should be delivered back tomorow, so I'll see then how they've done.

G

·
Ahh, my skirts were peeling off 2 weeks after picking the car up, were attached by 3 small pieces of double sided tape and a screw at each end, had them bonded back on under warranty.
Bought car in october and up to press its been into 2 dealers total of 11 days - Rattles, Creaks, Skirts, Oil leak :-(

G

·
Ahh, my skirts were peeling off 2 weeks after picking the car up, were attached by 3 small pieces of double sided tape and a screw at each end, had them bonded back on under warranty.
Bought car in october and up to press its been into 2 dealers total of 11 days - Rattles, Creaks, Skirts, Oil leak :mad:

G

·
RUSTY SKIRT BRACKETS + MORE

J-Bo, After a five week delay to get Le-Mann Green I collected my ZR160 on 15th Dec, 2 weeks later while washing the car for 2nd time I noticed the paint on the skirt brackets were flaking off. At last its going in on 14th May for new ones, at the same time that they are fitting new front brake disc's and pads - disc's are scored! They are also going to remove rear spoiler which has become 'floppy' due to the rubber gasket coming out each side. By the way, its already been in and had a new gearbox fitted because it would jump out of reverse from the day I picked it up.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Side skirts

The problems with the side skirts have been addressed by MG or atleast my dealers bodyshop.

They now have special clips on them and have done away with all the brackets. They clip and bond them on now. Not too good should you decide to clip one of them ...LOL.

Atleast they are doing something about it.

My god dont these cars just get better the more you drive em.

:D

G

·
Hey J-Bo i notice your from west yorkshire, r u the guy i usually pass going the other way over Emley? me trophy blue 160

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.