MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - my first visit to this forum. Usually hang out on Scoobynet.

OK Ive been looking to buy an Impreza P1 for a while now but due to my finances and job insecurity at the moment I dont want to put myself to into debt. Therefore Im looking for a decent Hot Hatch to run around in for a year or so. Looking around at whats on offer I can honestly say that the MG-ZR 160 is the only one that makes me go "wow" when I look at it.

Im off down to the local dealer on Monday to take a test drive but always find that comments from other owners are more honest & accurate. Is there anything I should be aware of regarding this car as I dont know much about MG/Rover especially in regards to reliability, servicing etc. Also:

1. Wheres good for insurance - Ive only tried 2-3 places and Privilege will insure me for £658 with 5 years NCB, me 25 no claims which I thought was pretty good.

2. What is the car like for modding e.g. lower springs, decent exhaust, engine mods, brake upgrades etc? Anything that boosts the power significantly?

3. I see the Kenwood Mp3 is a dealer option - I have this headunit in my current car - should I be able to just swap this straight into the ZR dash?

4. Does it benefit much from running it on Shell Optimax fuel?

Hope you guys can help me.

Thanks,

Simon.

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Hi P1, i go onto the scoobynet board as well as i had one last year. I now have a ZR160 which i bought in october.
If you dont mind rattles you'll be ok with the MG as all seem to have them.
1. that is a good quote, i pay £708 with NUDirect, me 31, 6 years ncb, 3 points.
2.nothing really available yet for mods, ive just fitted a pipercross induction kit and had the car set for police mode, this brings torque in at 2200rpm instead of 3400rpm ish.(dealer does this on testbook.Lower springs from a 218vi should fit but would probably sacrifise the brilliant handling (in the dry).
3.the ZRs have the standard iso connectors so your unit will simply plug in.
4.dont know about shell but i tried a couple of tankfulls of super plus and it made no difference whatsoever (exept to wallet)

Rob

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Bah - just popped into my local dealership (Marshalls Cambridge) and they have no 160's available to test drive :(

They're gonna see if they can pinch one from another dealership for me.

Simon.

·
Registered
388 Posts
P1Fanatic said:
Bah - just popped into my local dealership (Marshalls Cambridge) and they have no 160's available to test drive :(
Simon,

I first went to Marshalls regarding my ZS and have to say that they really weren't very good at selling the car - test drives were difficult to obtain and they needed some persuading to let me go on a route that I knew rather than the one that they wanted me to take. They were also way wide of the mark on price. I ended up buying from Mantles in Royston. More than happy for me to drive it when and where I wanted and much more competative on price. May be worth a call this afternoon and a short drive tomorrow? There's some great roads around Royston as well! :D

S.

P.S. I just gave Mantles a call. They don't have a 160 as a demo - they are running a 120 at the moment. They do, however, have a 160 in stock but they would only allow a quick jaunt up the road in that one. Their number is 01763 244244 if you are interested.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Do they not let you out unaccompanied? Damn if Audi can let people go off in a new S3 why cant MG as long as you leave keys to your car, credit card or, drivers licence etc.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Our dealership let us go out in the ZT on our own....
They didn't even know us very well back then...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts