MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people. Have recently brought my wicked zr160 but do have a query. I am wondering wht this black pot is for behind powersteerin resivoir. It has a yellow pipe going to silver manifold and a black pipe going upto a small black block located next to the water bottle. The black pot don't look like its bracket is factory fitted and the pot sounds n feels empty. Been told its possibly a breather pot etc...... Any help would be appreciated thanks

Attachments

·
Can i be an EO?
239 Posts
its a charcoal cannister filter, its something to do with the butterfly valve in the exhaust as said.

its not really needed tbh

·
[IMG]http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums
102 Posts
its a charcoal cannister filter, its something to do with the butterfly valve in the exhaust as said.

its not really needed tbh
Ive got a charcoal filter on my 1.4 but don't have the smaller round canister that the OP has shown pics of.

·
Registered
507 Posts
As mentioned it's for the butterfly valve in the exhaust to which probably won't work anyway I don't know of anybody other than mine that works and I've disconnected mine anyway now and bunged it up to keep it open :p

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wondered why it felt light n was sealed. So what does it actually do?? Clean the exhaust fumes or something?? My first 160 so finding out bout bits

·
Registered
507 Posts
Wondered why it felt light n was sealed. So what does it actually do?? Clean the exhaust fumes or something?? My first 160 so finding out bout bits
no there's a butterfly valve in the exhaust tail pipe (the right one if you look up it), it should open and close. Very few work these days. It keeps the exhaust quiet below a certain amount of revs iirc 3500 revs.

one pipe comes off the inlet manifold into that black canister then pipe goes from that to the exhaust actuator for the valve, when the vacuum pressure is at a certain point it forces the valve to open. thus resulting in more noise

but as said I'm yet too see another that works still. Also the reason why a standard replacement back box is over £350

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Argh right. Thanks. Seems very pointless then considering my car got a single pipe after market big bore back box lol. Is too noisy really. But as u say with that price can see why previous owner might've changed it. Glad I asked. Something I knew nothg about. Cheers lads

1 - 10 of 10 Posts