MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Jonno
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right here is starts....

With the car being built to be used as a FWD rally car, i need a suitable class to run in. The class i decided on is the 1600cc category. This means the car has to be within 1401cc to 1600cc NASP.

My aim is to have the car as light as possible, have resonable power but maintain reliability. This got me thinking about engines. After reading up about the power a EK9 Honda Civic Type R made as standard (186bhp) it made me think what a cracking rally engine that would make. Then down the line again i was offered an old Rover 216 Cabrio with a Honda engine (D16) fitted. Looking at this closely we noticed the inner wings from the wedge were the same as the ZR and most things surrounding it. The D-Series found in the wedge also uses the same engine mounting arrangement as the B-Series (Type R). With this Ade from AAautosport persuaded me to take the plunge and buy the wedge to break for all the necessary parts for a conversion...

After a very 'interesting' journey, we got the wedge back to Ade's unit where we attacked it. I sold the engine, scrapped the car and kept all of the engine sundries/engine mounts. These are to be used in my conversion for the ZR.

Here are a couple of pictures of 'The Beast'.

Engine gone, revealing new mounts. :)

The mounts were drilled out and kept. I will drill out the K mounts in the ZR and fingers crossed, weld these new ones straight in.

·
Jonno
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Engine/Box Spec

The combination is going to be a bit of a mix match of different Honda B Series parts but the result will be a 1600cc engine with around 200bhp. The gearbox needs to be something close ratio and must have a decent LSD. The Intergra Type R gearbox will be perfect with its 4.79 FD and would be ideal with a KAAZ 1.5 plated LSD. This will give me a <900kg car with 200bhp and a short ratio box.

·
Jonno
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Start removing K.

Lightweight bonnet. Needs another coat of yellow though ;)

A rather full garage!

Ready to pull engine out tomorrow night. :)

·
Jonno
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Few progress (or lack of progress) pics...

VV LOL VV

Leigh looking stumped...

K mounts... GTFO.

Off. New gearbox mount offered up. Not bad at all really. :)

Engine mounting point offered up. Needs a tiny but of fettling but overall i'm happy.

All this hard work required a lot of fuel...

This is the base engine that's stood for a while. 189bhp at the fly when it was dyno'd. Got some other buts to pump it up to the 200bhp target... It will all be stripped down and worked on, but it's a belting base really... :super:

Gearbox is the S80 Integra box with 4:79fd - nice and short for rallying. Got a plated diff in there too! ;)

Quick spruce up.

·
Jonno
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update.

A mate of mine was breaking his ZR rallycar and seen as this size tyre is soooo expensive and also hard to come by, i bought his loot. Pirelli moulded slicks in Intermediate, Soft and Hard. Will certainly give me options for Cadwell. :)

Gave the chassis mounts a quick blast to make welding easier. :)

V-TEC y0!

Got the engine lined up and then marked where they need to be. Got the shafts in the hubs and all tight - fit mint! :D

Got the mounts welded and then got the engine back in.

As you can see the engine is sitting slightly high on the LHS... This was as it was fouling on where i had welded the mount. I chopped part of the mount and welded it higher and then it was bang on! :D

Got a massive list to keep cracking with, but it's a big step forward!

As usual Uncle Ady was round to assist, so cheers again!

·
Jonno
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Level

Shafts all in and sitting about right. Will sit more level once rear mount is fabricated. :)

A job that needed doing before i get painting bits was the bonnet...

Putting little brother Ross to good use! :clap:

Aero Gashes

Then from there was where bravery came in...

My main objective was to get the pins all fitted nicely and then over the weekend i can weld what i need to and paint the underside of the bonnet and then bolt the catches onto the bonnet and seal them. Nightmare job tbh.

Then whilst i had the bonnet on i wanted to look at a decent air intake for the filter. I'm looking at moulding an Astra GTE duct into the bonnet directly feeding the filter. It will be subtle and effective. :)

Here you can see where the ram needs to be from under the bonnet.

Back to bed. :)

·
Jonno
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Updates...

Now for the fun part imo... Making it look pretty again!

Here you can see all the mounts welded in place so i started prep for welding seams and little strengthening bits...

It was a nightmare as all the seam sealer spills out and slops into your weld and knacks things...

I had to shave a tad off the front subframe to give me a little more clearence for a beefy manifold... The B-Series obviously doesn't follow the same path for the maifold cut out. Plated it up and seemed it up.

The bit that sits behind the bumper used to annoy me being yellow, so he got done black. mofo.

Inner arches got a good going over too... Got all the seam sealer off and it took yonks!

Gave it a good lick of stonechip...

Then a lick of black!!

Then started priming the bay.

Did the subframes black.

First coat...

The fumes were insane. It was quite a windy day so the wind was blowing dust everywhere in the garage - had to spray with it shut and even with a mask it was terrible. High as a kite in the kitchen wobbly as hell!

Gave it a few more coats and then plenty of lacquer.

Then after it dried i could start to see why it was all worth it! :D

Oh yeah - got the catches all bonded in and sitting neat! ;)

Engine bay is ready to take the engine for good now! It's been quite tough work, but the end result is pretty good i think! :)

·
Jonno
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Started cleaning bits up too...

Inlet manifold was rank! All inside was coked up to fook too with old age.

Coolant housing thingy doofer.

Took them to work where i cleaned, blasted and beaded. :)

·
Jonno
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Engine...

Tas "My precious...."

Me "Where is ze sik V-Tecz???"

Then it was all piled up and then off to the machine shop! :)

Should get it back before the weekend and then will get some build up pics :)

·
Jonno
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gone a while without updates...

I got the car over to AAautosport to build the engine.

Back on wheels again. :)

First time outside since last year!! lol.

·
Jonno
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Even though the engine was promised as a good condition unit, i wanted to rebuild it whatever... I wasn't planning on going nuts as they are strong engines, but just wanted to ensure everything was good.

Got it into the machine shop... 2 days later back it came.

- block skim
- head skim
- Block honed
- all crack tested
- polished crank
- motorsport bearings
- Piston rings
- all new gaskets for everything
- all new belts
- water pump
- oil pump
- thermostat
- valve stem oil seals

Block

Rocker cover powder coated in crinkle black... Looks wicked in the skin.

I was going to polish the writing on the rocker, but decided to leave it all black.

Sprayed a few things up...

Started making a template for a baffled sump. Sorry i didn't get any finished pics... :(

Had a nice delivery... Loads of bits from Tegiwa and also some new Sabelt 6 point harnesses!

Integra Ali Rad, slim fans and hosing to suit the B.

Ade and I were working on this every night of last week untill the early hours - one night we stayed up all night. This meant that actual build up pics were non existant. :(

The engine is now back in and all sat in place. :)

·
Jonno
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Once the engine was back in place, we wanted to look into a strong front mount. This was inspired from a T-Series front mount.

Nice strong bracket onto gearbox/block.

Onto the front subframe.

Started to box it in.

Fitted and painted. It's lovely and strong. All 4 mounts seem awesome. Engine doesn't budge.

Dry fitted the rad too... Everything is sitting in nice!

Jonno

·
Jonno
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the rad all fixed up after some midnight hours at Adey's palace! Cheers mate! :)

It's all tucked up under the front slam panel - couldn't fit any better if we had one custom made. To say it's for an Integra it's bob on really! With bumper on it sits right in the mouth which is great. I whipped the bumper on but couldn't get any decent shots as it was dicky dark. :(

There was a tiny bit of choppy chop chop needed, but only small really.

And a shot of it sat in it's position.

Got some Magnicore Leads and Iridium plugs on order and also got my Supersprint 4-2-1 manifold which is being coated on Monday being well. Then the centre section of the exhaust can be done.

Waiting on a dizzy though and then power steering feed pipe. These are really holding me up! Grrr!

Thanks

·
Jonno
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Exhaust....

Manifold

I took the easy option and decided to use Honda engine side and MG for the backbox. This way both sides fit as they should and then i just need a custom centre section.

Here's the manifold. It's a 2" Supersprint 4-2-1 that has been strengthened with some skidding and the centre joint welded to make it one piece. Took the Honda flange off and welded an MG one also. Just makes things easier for the centre section that all flanges match.

Before coating - just been blasted.

Ceramic coated satin black

·
Jonno
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Back Box

Went for an X-Power Janspeed Twin.

Centre section. Straight through in 2". Skidded where necessary with a flexi and a large silencer to try and keep her under 95db... :noexp:

Thanks to Zorstec for all exhaust mods and the centre section. Top job as always! :)

·
Jonno
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Decided to go for 2 fans as apposed to just the one i planned before.

Engine coming along. Just wiring and then it's not far from being able to fire! :D

Thanks. :)

Jonno

·
Jonno
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Last night turned was eventful...

I got all of the battery hooked up whilst Ade set the tappet clearances...With all that sorted the rocker could go on AND STAY ON!!

Plugs on and then got the engine and box all oiled up...

The time had come. We started to crank it over to check we had oil pressure... Gave it a while ticking over with no fuel pump, but the oil light still stayed lit. Both puzzled we decided to get the oil filter off and see if it was wet from oil... It was bone dry. Even more confused we sat back and swore for a while and then we could hear oil running from the hole where the filter belongs. Fook knows why it was dry after spinning and then it dribbled out on it's own accord. Anyway filter back on and span it again. The light went out. :)

Ignition on, fuel pump on and it started to fire. Please bare in mind what a mission Ade has had wiring this thing up. An engine that doesn't belong in this car using clocks that are different and part of the engine loom which is also different. Awesome effort i say.

It ran for a few seconds but then was switched off.

Few pics.

More tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Wow....thats bloody nice!!!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts