MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see the MG website has had yet another restyle, the 3rd version we have had in 6 months, and they still dont show the full colour range for the Z's. Wish they would spend some time jazzing up the Rover one a bit - would be nice to see a development zone on it as well.

·
Registered
81 Posts
JLD said:
Still doesn't load up any faster though!
that's because it wass entirely flash based, rather than HTML. (Haven't seen the new one you're refering to yet) Sure it gives you access to cute animations and movie like sequences, but you have to have downloaded the whole lot before it can start. I used to cover web development as part of a former job and I woudl steer well clear of flash except for segments - never the whole site in flash - it's just too slow and at least half of the world run older browsers etc and can't even see your site. How can you sell cars to a typical 40 - 50 older buyer who just wants to see a picture on his computer but isn't so technically inclined to update his software all the time, so as a result can't display yoru website??

I personally have always loathed the former MG website layout. the constant "loading" and having to backtrack I find extremely irritating. the most effective website are almost always the simplest - mainly because they can make the message loud and clear such that it speaks louder than the gimmicks.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
New one's flash too. I'm sure it's fine when they're demonstrating it internally on a fast network, but it's truly awful over dial-up.

Sure it's nice to have pictures and weird noises and stuff, but the primary goal is content ... and there ain't a lot of it on that site! Lots of flowery bullshi...words though.

K-I-S-S (Keep It Simple and Stupid).

- Andy
S6 AJG

G

·
Totally agree.

Question - do you think Jerry should keep his site updated or just refer to the others around - MGR - MGOC?

G

·
Just checked the new TCV and thus Rovers site + the updated MG site. An improvement over the old sites, but and it is a big but with a slow connection they are far too slow to download.

I expect they think we all have cable modems these days. :(

Impressed with the TCV - think all our TCV threads should be under future "X" types and TCV! :)

Addendum - TCV threads moved to sub Forum. :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just wish they would test the websites before they let them loose on the public. The build your own part of the MG website doesnt allow the screen to go to full size and doesnt feature all the colours available on the cars. The visit rover link has gone as has the used car link , though you can get into it that if you know the address. The Rover one is rarely updated , and has nothing on the 75 Vanden Plas.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Just checked out website, very nice via cable, can image it would be slow via dialup though ! I have also noticed that they have put their prices up ! A car identical to mine now seems about £400 more expensive, the options have definately changed price as I checked my receipt !! Never saw any press about this !!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts