MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Passionate about MGR.Cars.
4,082 Posts
Re: Mg montego turbo

Here are the photos. Also the car has Side skirts, Headlight covers,CD changer,Bass tube and upgraded rear speakers and Sports air filter.
How can you scrap that. He must be plain daft. If he got £1200 for the MG he would still get a better deal by discount on the new car!! Don't forget half the scrappage comes from the dealer anyway!!

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I cant believe how people get sucked into this scrappage scheme bol locks!
It can be a very good deal for some - my sister and hubby bought a citreon AX brand new about 12 years ago, it was worth about £400 when they scrapaged it, there is no market for 12 year old citreon AX so the deal suited them.

·
4,082 Posts
It can be a very good deal for some - my sister and hubby bought a citreon AX brand new about 12 years ago, it was worth about £400 when they scrapaged it, there is no market for 12 year old citreon AX so the deal suited them.
The dealer contributes £1000 of the scrappage anyway so you should get that in any deal plus probably better ( I just have) & then sell the old car for £595 ish & you would likely be better off & give a new driver a cheap car as soon there will be a severe lack of cheappies for new drivers etc.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
The dealer contributes £1000 of the scrappage anyway so you should get that in any deal plus probably better ( I just have) & then sell the old car for £595 ish & you would likely be better off & give a new driver a cheap car as soon there will be a severe lack of cheappies for new drivers etc.
Still leaves £405 or 20%!

Also the car was running out of MOT and that would have been £50 + any repairs, without a decent length MOT the car would have been worth less than £200.

They made their final choice of car as the Audi wouldn't have been available until after the MOT ran out.

·
4,082 Posts
Still leaves £405 or 20%!

Also the car was running out of MOT and that would have been £50 + any repairs, without a decent length MOT the car would have been worth less than £200.

They made their final choice of car as the Audi wouldn't have been available until after the MOT ran out.
Fair comment! Sometimes it's probably a good deal but generally likely more of a carrot!

·
The Green Machine
3,920 Posts
Like you say, for small amount of people, its a good deal. But some of the cars Ive seen traded in, just baffles me!

I would expect a 2 grand discount before any trade ins given the current situation!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
well in my opinion if the cars worth less than £2k its not really a classic tbh, ive not really seen any cars that are classics getting scrapped at work, its all old fiesta's and cavaliers and mashed up puntos, its good people can get £2k for theyre car:)

·
The Green Machine
3,920 Posts
well in my opinion if the cars worth less than £2k its not really a classic tbh, ive not really seen any cars that are classics getting scrapped at work, its all old fiesta's and cavaliers and mashed up puntos, its good people can get £2k for theyre car:)
Fair enough, but if you went to a garage with no trade in, you would probably get 2-4k off a new car. Then you can get £400 extra for your mashed up Punto!
My local Ford garage is doing £5500 off a new Focus!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
If I had an old Montego and it had been on offer for 5 months with no takers I would be pleased to get over the top money for it as a trade in. Imagine selling an old car no matter how good it is for £2000 which would be seen as paying over the odds. The new owner would never be off the phone if anything went wrong with it. It would be different if it was a true classic, the fact that no enthusiast or collector bought it tells me it is not a classic in the outside world.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
If I had an old Montego and it had been on offer for 5 months with no takers I would be pleased to get over the top money for it as a trade in. Imagine selling an old car no matter how good it is for £2000 which would be seen as paying over the odds. The new owner would never be off the phone if anything went wrong with it. It would be different if it was a true classic, the fact that no enthusiast or collector bought it tells me it is not a classic in the outside world.
IMHO the car was over priced but more importantly wrongly advertised to start with and then not properly marketed, the seller may have got close to the asking price if he'd advertised in places where montego buyers are likely to look.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
most of the scrap cars that have come in are scrap lolak worth £50 quid, most cars are cheaper than the list price, new rs is gettin sold at £24k instead of £26k, best way to play the scrappage scheme is to get the best deal, then bring the scrappage in at the last minute:p

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
He did not sell it in the end. But it is back for sale now. Anyone interested contact me.Good car going for good price. Taxed till August and mot till July 2010.Offers around £1300.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
He did not sell it in the end. But it is back for sale now. Anyone interested contact me.Good car going for good price. Taxed till August and mot till July 2010.Offers around £1300.
Eddie - tell him to get over to www.triple-m.co.uk

·
4,082 Posts
Typical now I bought one last week!! Can we see some pictures again please. Not sure if I had some by email or not as I was looking at a few a while back. iIf it is better than mine I may have someone who would buy mine anyway!!

You could also add it to :- http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/

41 - 60 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.