MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
'Him' is everywhere!
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to remember reading in the press a few weeks ago, that the MG Lola EX257 was going to be doing some demonstration laps at Rockingham at the end of May.

I think the date was around the 25th or 26th and the event was organised by the MG Car Club. Can anybody confirm anything?

Many thanks,

'Extreme'

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Yes Extreme, I to remember reading something about the demo. Venue is Rockingham but not sure on dates. Will look through this months edition of MotorSport and confirm.

Jim

·
'Him' is everywhere!
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anymore news?

Hi Jim,

Have you managed to find out anything about the rumoured EX257 outing at Rockingham, as the MG Car Club meeting is actually this weekend?

Can't make up my mind yet whether to go or not.

It's either Rockingham or the NEC for the Sportscar Show. I have heard that MG Rover will not have as big a display as they did last year - not even their own stand! I have heard from a reliable source that the MG TF XPower 500 and (possibly?) an MG ZR Rally Car will be on the MG Owners Club stand.

Does anybody else know anything about what is happening at Rockingham this weekend? Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

'Extreme!'

·
'Him' is everywhere!
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why didn't I think of that?

Thanks Kev,

For everyone elses information, the MG Lola EX257 is said to be demonstrating during the 1 hour lunch break on both days - not for the whole hour as there is also a Golden Jubilee parade to incorporate!

I will be there on the Saturday, as I want to see what other PR cock-up Ferrari can orchestra at Monaco on the Sunday!

Thanks again Kev.

Kind regards,

'Extreme!'

·
'Him' is everywhere!
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went to Rockingham!

Yes, I did indeed go to Rockingham on Saturday to see the MG Lola demonstrations around this very impressive circuit.

No, the car or team did not appear! Oh bugger!

After several enquiries : at race control, at the MGF / ZR support trailer, at the MG Car Club tent, and at the XPower merchandise stand : virtually everyone said "Yes, come to think of it, it should be here!"

A couple of stories that I was fobbed off with was "it has gone to the Sportscar Show at the NEC" and "the engine blew-up!". Let's just hope for all of our sakes that it was at the NEC!

I would be interested to hear if it was.

Yours extremely!'

David

G

·
"Engine Blew-Up" what a line??? And, if it had don't we know they would have replaced it? Feeble excuse, they should know better than that.

If they advertised it, why not say why it wasn't there! Glad I didn't waste my time going to see it. Although I would have liked to have seen Rockingham. I made myself a member of the Supporters club and I've never attended. :(

Maybe watch the CART race later in the year, should be fun 800-1000bhp!

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I went to Rockingham too!

Even though the 257's didn't turn up,it was still a good day out.
Theres only one word to describe rockingham-awesome.
Silverstone in comparison is some hic towns banger track.
I'm standing watching the action,when some suit with a rockingham badge walks up to me and asks what i think of the place?
now being use to asuming i'm just some peasant in the motorsport world,i hesitated-but then said i was gob smacked by the place.
We had a long chat ,him telling me how he went to Sheffield uni to test the fences -they are designed to expand up to 5m in places on heavy impact.how they are trying to get the champ cars moved to a summer date and getting more families with children to come by laying on activaties for the kids.
Then i say" i'd love to see the BTCC racing here"he replies-they are going to be here next year,we have just finished talks on it.
so theres a scoop for you!
Had a good snoop around the pit garages and photos including the ITG kit fitted to the ZR160 will follow.

kev

·
'Him' is everywhere!
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My views...

Jerry,

My view is that the cars are currently under preparation for the trip to France in 3 weeks time, and the team were otherwise preoccupied. They are probably more likely to attend the MGCC race meeting at Silverstone at the end of July.

As you know from the other thread within this forum, if Intersport have indeed purchased one of the 2001 Sport & Racing cars, then MGR only have the two cars left - unless they have a 'new' spare chassis?

As these are the Nº 26 & 27 entries for this years race, it doesn't leave a spare had anything gone wrong, had they actually attended Rockingham. Bear in mind that around the oval there are no run-off areas, no gravel traps - JUST WALLS and FENCES!

Two cars rolled today during practice, a Triumph GT6 (am I allowed to mention this marque?) and one of the MG ZR XPower racing cars. Not a very forgiving circuit, but an amazing facility all the same! Thoroughly impressive - and BRITISH!

David

·
'Him' is everywhere!
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kev,

Glad to here you went aswell - maybe we should have arranged to meet via a thread on this forum? Oh well, maybe next time...

I kept finding new things to look at today, and did not once get bored or tired of taking it all in. The fences! The toilets! The grandstands! The toilets! The pedestrian tunnel to the paddock! The toilets! The view from above the garages! Oh, nearly forgot to mention the toilets!

Did not manage to stay to see the MGF / ZR race at 4pm, I'd had my 'return to base' orders! How did the ZRs get on?

David

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
David
The toilets were superb indeed!
IIRC altro vinyl flooring coved,and unlike thruxton all the taps worked thus avoiding transfer of nasty germs:D
got a photo of the pit lane tunnel which you forgot to mention had lifts at either end.
<The view from above the garages> got photo of that too,the whole place was quality.whoever came up with the idea of this place was a visionary.
should of let you know i was going but went on the spur of the moment-family presures ;)

kev

G

·
Impressed

Had an excited call from our roving Essex reporter yesterday. All I remember was how impressed he was with the facilities.

Glad to hear that the BTCC will use it next year!

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
This is the viewing area, It only costs £20 for padock access to this area on the day of the champ car race,thats on top of the price of £35 for admission with a seat.

Attachments

·
'Him' is everywhere!
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kev,

Nice pics! When you took the pic from the top of the stand, I think I was still in the garages, having just sheltered from the downpour! When you took the pic "with no beards" I had nipped back to the car to deposit some merchandise! When you took the pic on the viewing area on the garage roof, I think I was in one of the toilets!!!!!

Come to mention it, you haven't taken any photos of the toilets! Or did you not want to risk the wrath of Rockingham Security?

For Jim's sake I also have a beard - I drink real ale - I collect Chassis Nºs in race paddocks! There's nothing wrong with us beardies!

David

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
David
It was good to see cars that ive never seen before in combat,ie-the noise from the metro's and the big jags.would of been nice to see some SDi's .
This driver stood out to me,he/she was really on the pace,would like to know what lump it had in it?

kev

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts