MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ACO have announced the list of accepted entries for this summer's running of the 24 Hours. Curiously, they rejected one of the two factory MGs. The KnightHawk team were accepted and one of the factory MGs were accepted, but the other factory car has been relegated to the Reserve list. They only accepted six LMP675 class entries, as opposed to 18 LMP900, 1 LMGTP (Bentley), 11 LMGTS, and 12 LMGT (including one Morgan Aero 8). No explanation as to why...

Invited:
KnightHawk Racing (#30)
MG Sport & Racing (#26)

Reserve:
MG Sport & Racing (#27)

-Ricardo

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Follow up on my last post. From the ACO site:

"As regards the technical side, it is compulsory for the reserve cars to have taken part in the Preliminary Practice Sessions. Should there be a withdrawal, and irrespective of the category, it is the order allocated to the reserve cars which will be taken into consideration.

The list of reserve cars will afterwards be removed on 31st May 2002 at midnight. None of them will thus take part in the big week of the « 24 Heures », unless there is a withdrawal prior to 31.05.02."

So the second MG will participate in the Preliminary Practice Sessions on Sunday, 5th May 2002. As they are first on the list of reserves, if ANY car, in ANY class drops out by May 31, the second works MG is in. So lets hope for some problem with one of the other competitors!

-Ricardo

G

·
Good & Bad news though.

By then Knighthawk will have gained much valuable running time. MG have had very little. Rob Oldaker mentioned to use the other day that last year they were very lucky to have got in with so little pre-race runningi.e ONE LAP.

Hopefully all 3 get in - still should be a great Le Mans. :D

Will this be the lead car LMP675 or overall leader - I ask myself?

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
The ACO do make some strange decisions at times. Well all the practice experience, testing and race experience do we not think that Knighthawk have more knowledge of the car than the "works" team! Certainly food for thought.

It is still possible that the 3rd entry could get in. Other car disqualified, crashed or withdrawn or the entry scratched.

All is not lost.:cool:

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Noticed that Car No 30 the Knighthawk MG - Lola has at this stage only nominated two drivers at this stage Mel and Steve. Wonder who the mystery man is!

It is not uncommon for two drivers to do Le Mans but most opt for 3 these days.

Who was the last pairing to have won Le Mans (2 drivers only)?

Jim

Jim knows ;) (clever dick)

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
<It is not uncommon for two drivers to do Le Mans but most opt for 3 these days. >

If steve is reading this then i volunteer my services as the third driver;)
The big question is who are we going to support at Le Mans,a forum member or the works team? :D

G

·
Kev

If Steve is reading this I'll offer my services as a "dogs body" during pre-qualifying and for the "Great Race". Looks as though Jonny Kane might be in with a chance of driving with the team?

My support goes with this team and of course the factory effort. However, "Knighthawk" have invested real cash so I wish them all the best luck. They have the faith too in MG-Lola. :D

See the Knighthawk pages on xpower-mg.com

G

·
Could it be that the Knighthawk car is a "shadow" MG entry in that it will get factory backing? maybe MG didn't want to run 2 cars, who knows?

What happend to all those other EX257's rumoured to have been built?

·
Supporting RML in LMES & Dyson In ALMS
2,085 Posts
2ND Works MG Now In

Just noticed that the following web page reports that the 2nd works car has been given a place on the entry list.

www.endurancesportscar.com/lemans.htm

Great News eh?

I though that it was going to be a bit wierd with only one works car starting the race.

Now I can't wait for Le Mans as I think that one of our teams has a very good chance of winning the class.

G

·
NN

Fantasic news - three great chassis. Now we can stop speculating and wish them our best.

Are we doing a ZED convoy to Le Mans?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hate to lose one of the Ferraris, would rather it was one of the redundant Porsche 911s, but whatever, the MG is in, so life is good...

Ferrari withdrawal lets in second factory MG - 26th March (www.maisonblanche.co.uk)

Team Olive Garden Rafanelli has today announced the withdrawal of the Ferrari Maranello no. 57 to the Automobile Club de L'Ouest.

Consequently, and in accordance with the rules, the no. 27 MG, at the top of the list of reserve cars, will be assimilated into the list of those invited to the "24 Heures" Preliminary Practice Sessions, on Sunday 5th May 2002.

The second Ferrari Maranello of the Prodrive Team now heads the list of reserve cars should there be another withdrawal.

This modification brings the number of prototypes which have been accepted to 26, including 7 LMP675s.

Team Olive Garden informed the ACO that it will not compete and will instead focus its attention on the 2002 American Le Mans Series season.

"It is our strong desire to be the principal independent challenger for the ALMS GTS crown this year," said Team Olive Garden boss Gabriele Rafanelli. "While all of us - including our sponsors Olive Garden and Coca- Cola -- are thrilled at the honor of the invitation to Le Mans, we must focus on our primary goal which is to succeed in the 2002 ALMS GTS championship. Ours is a multi-year program so it is also our dream to be invited to Le Mans in 2003 and to win the GTS category there."

·
'Him' is everywhere!
3,146 Posts
According to the www.legal-stimulant.com website, which has been updated today:

The LMP 675 class at this year's 70th running of the Le Mans 24-Hours will feature three of the rapid MG Lola EX257 sportscars. In the original entry list last week, one of the MG Sport and Racing cars was guaranteed entry, along with the KnightHawk Racing car that qualified so strongly at Sebring recently. The second MG Sport and Racing entry – car No. 27 – was first reserve for the race.

Le Mans organisers, the ACO, announced late yesterday that a Ferrari entry in the GTS class by the Italian Rafanelli team has been withdrawn, and that the second MG Sport and Racing car is now officially invited to enter the race itself. There are 48 official race entries, from 96 applications to compete in the endurance classic.

There are currently seven cars entered in LMP 675, with three of those being MG Lola EX257s – giving MG the chance to record a historic ‘clean sweep' in the class in both qualifying and the race.

Fantastic news!

Extreme

1 - 13 of 13 Posts