MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Sooner than you think!

The X80 has been d..elayed but that car is very much aimed at your market - The USA. Don't forget that the ZT 260 and 385 use an American V8 they would conform to US federal Law. How's about the MGTF for good measure.

Also a strong motor sport programme such as Cart and ALMS via Knighthawk, Dyson and Rand, the writting is on the wall. It goes something like this "watch out, the Limey's are coming and the're
going to kick butts".

Jim.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Would like to see the ZT in the states, i'm emigrating there very soon and after a while i could afford one, but couldn't buy one! Come on MGRover, do it!

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all! Nice to see this new forum, as the whole "New MGs in the USA" topic has been rather a hot item on the "other" BBS for the last couple of years. It's been a real treat to keep up with MG-Rover news over the last couple of years, knowing that these exciting developments could someday bring new MGs to our shores.

In answer to the original question, the consensus seems to be that MGR is currently still in the process of establishing themselves and seeking profitability, prior to making the major investments it will take to establish a dealer and parts network in the States. In brief, the current MG models aren't USA-compliant in certain areas, chief among them the lack of OBD-II diagnostics systems. But time will tell... MG-R is known to be showing an active interest in re-entering the US market, with the main questions being "when?" and "with what?"

Gryf

http://www.ketcherside.net/mg.html

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Gryf - I would have thought that the MG X80 would be on the cards for import into the States especially as the previous owners Magusta specifically aimed this car for your market. Ford V8 etc.

So by your message things are still very much in the air.

I would have thought that MGR will have to spend millions of $ to re-establish themselves as there has been no real activity since the demise of the MGB/GT in 1980. Not to mention the Rover 800 which bombed.

Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I understand that the X-80 was to lead the way... then when the concept version appeared, it was savaged by the critics and its intended fans, particularly in regards to the front-end styling. Personally I wasn't that impressed by that odd grille either, but my chief disappointment was that the X-80 was aimed at a price point far above what I can afford. Granted, I do realize that the car is intended to be just one of a family of products, some of which are promised to be the entry-level sports cars for which MG was famous in the good old days.

As for the Rover 800, was that what we knew as the Sterling? I actually have a sales brochure for the Sterling, and reading over the marketing hype, it's hard not to like it... Honda running gear, Rover quality, and nice leather, wool, and walnut to add Britishness. What a shame it all collapsed. I'm sure that this is precisely what MG-R is hoping to avoid when they return!

G

·
Registered
316 Posts
Rover 800's were marketed as the 'Sterling' brand in the states and were very well speced but suffered from the same problems thay had over here, poor electronics and iffy build quality which was sorted later on, but it was too late, damage was already done. Still some around, i saw one when i visted in December.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Turbo you beat me to it. Couldn't have summed it up better. Wasn't the SD1 taken over the States too? I'm sure that was also called a "Sterling". Instead of having two headlight lenses it had quad lights i.e 2 lights on each corner.

Calling Dave Harrison - can you help with the above?

Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
When will the X-Power series be available in the states? What kind of prices are you thinking about for the X-Power series.
I will start saving now.

Nate

·
Registered
362 Posts
Glad to see you Americans are interested in the MG.

Is the modifying scene big over there at the moment, after The Fast and The Furious movie, there were rumours that modding cars has become really popular.

Is everyone modding Jap imports over there or is there an even spread of European and American cars being worked on.

Keep saving, the MG won't be long. Hopefully. :D

·
Registered
316 Posts
Lets just say that when i last visited, there was a huge amount of japanesse modified cars, with the Honda Civic being the most popular by far.........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts