MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi having had experienced a couple of mg,s with the same high clutch problem and after reading all the remedies i thought id post my findings on the matter.
the real problem which ive had on both cars is the clutch reseviour where it comes through the bulk head is made from plastic and has a split ring retaining the piston in the housing, this split ring wears away its seating in the plastic and comes loose thus allowing the piston to travel 10mm backward ie towards your foot which in turn sends your clutch pedal over 2 inches higher than your brake pedal, clutch operation is not affected but the pedal hight is a pain in the ass, i just remedied by getting one from the breakers, just check that its not the same, where the push rod comes of the top of the clutch pedal them goes into the master cylinder must be sealed, have a look if your pedal is excessivly high look at the top of the pedal where the push rod is as it enters the rear opf the master cylinder there is a rubber seal around the pushrod which in effect is the end of the piston shaft the split ring gives way and the piston breaks the end off the piston housing allowing the piston to move further back than it should,,, its a bit of a myth that mgs and rovers have just got a high clutch pedal they havent and most if hydraulic have the above mentioned problem
on my last mg i used an exhaust rubber and a nut and bolt and which made the pedal sit exactly in line with the brake pedal i have photos of this and close ups of the bit that breaks of the back of your master cylinder which i will post when i know how
obcviously this only applies if you have a hydraulic clutch

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
Thanks for the input and welcome to XPF:welcome:

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
But they did have a high clutch pedal from the factory. My first observation and comment when I test drove mine from the show room. The only proper way forward IS a sheddist kit.

·
Registered
407 Posts
that is is the only way to lower the whole of the height - however there is a kit now from another member to take the slack before the hydraulics are engaged out.

it is very similar to the OP's method, and uses some spacers and abracket to bring it down a few inches - it is still higher than the brake but not too bad....

Sheddist's kit can only be fully applied to the 180, as the alve mounting bracket is unique to the 180.

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Be useful if the OP could pop some pics up.
Have just fitted Matts kit and its taken out the slack but clutch is still an inch or two higher than brake, considering if pedal and box could be redrilled to shorten stroke :dunno:
Its a pita with size 12s and long legs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts