MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
MG6 GT TSE & MGZS 180
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=4888

MG could be back in the British Touring Car Championship next year according to Motorsport News. The now Chinese owned manufacturer is currently talking to teams about running two cars next year.
"We have had approaches on many different levels of motorsport – from people in grassroots series to established BTCC teams – who want to race the MG6," said MG Motor UK marketing director Guy Jones to Motorsport News.
The MG6 model has not been released yet, pictured below, but is according to MG very much suitable for the new NGTC regulations.

"The MG6 is very versatile and already runs an engine similar to the forthcoming NGTC touring car unit so it perfectly suits the BTCC blueprint," said Jones.

There is no official decision yet, but MG is serious about entering the series according to Jones.

"There is no concrete plan at the moment but we are at the table with interested parties and a BTCC programme will undoubtedly be seriously considered," said Jones

·
Longbridge !
3,306 Posts
I've said about wanting the 6 in the BTCC for a while.

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
Re: SAIC considering BTCC in 2011

I really hope this doesn't happen, will be a very sad day if it does . . . :sad:

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
Would not mind it myself if they also gave support to any Ind entering driving :yup:a ZS

·
The Green Machine
3,920 Posts
MG went bust, this is SAIC.
If thats the way you feel, your entitled to it. To me its a new chapter for MG, and one with serious financial backing to make a serious go of everything.
It was late in 2003 that I read on Ceefax that MG had decided to pull out as a factory BTCC team. From that moment I knew the company was in trouble and it was quite sad to read. 7 years on and they are looking at returning with a brand new model. After everyone that has doubted them, that is some turnaround.
Aslong as they keep the english connection then I will back them all the way.

·
Biomorphic and the sun,perfection
3,290 Posts
If thats the way you feel, your entitled to it. To me its a new chapter for MG, and one with serious financial backing to make a serious go of everything.
It was late in 2003 that I read on Ceefax that MG had decided to pull out as a factory BTCC team. From that moment I knew the company was in trouble and it was quite sad to read. 7 years on and they are looking at returning with a brand new model. After everyone that has doubted them, that is some turnaround.
Aslong as they keep the english connection then I will back them all the way.
The proof of the English connection will be seen in the MG garage at the first race.........We will wait and see Mattie........

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Least it will keep the MG name in front of the public, and if they do well, the image will improve.

Remember when Volvo first started, they were looked on as a joke, but as they were developed and starting to win races the whole Volvo range seemed to be more accepted.

Good luck to them and I only hope they have the drivers and the backing to develop the cars into race winners.

:wave:

·
Registered
32 Posts
The proof of the British connection will be seen in the MG garage at the first race.........We will wait and see Mattie........
edited for accuracy.

It would be nice though to have a Scottish driver with an Italian name ;) Not that I'm biased I hope you understand.

·
Premium Member
2,727 Posts
Least it will keep the MG name in front of the public, and if they do well, the image will improve.

Remember when Volvo first started, they were looked on as a joke, but as they were developed and starting to win races the whole Volvo range seemed to be more accepted.

Good luck to them and I only hope they have the drivers and the backing to develop the cars into race winners.

Sorry disagree. Volvo had the best engineering group of the nineties behind them in the UK - TWR.

The same TWR that went bust when MGR didn't pay for the work TWR did on the XD60.

Andy Morrison one of Toms top men (know him well) tells me they raced the Estate - just for the hell of it.

Agree with Simon - its a SAIC-MG. However, I do hope they bring jobs to the UK and not just assembling kits from China.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
The motoring public will see it as a MG, I saw the Volvo before they started racing it, as the safe granddads run around, or the kids transport for the school run. Big, solid, built like a tank.

When Volvo started racing I started looking at it differently, vast majority dont know about TWR's involvement, if they are interested in racing thats a different story.

Same with the MG, providing its developed and starts getting results the name will be kept alive and in front of people. May even push the price up of our cars.

Better than people thinking MG brand is dead in the water, no spares or back up = dont buy the cars.

I know they are producing MGF's and the MG6 will be out there soon, but racing and getting results would be the best advert for the MG's.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts