MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one a member of the MG Car Club?

I had an MGF before the MG-ZR and found the club to be very active where the F was concerned. For those that don't know they have "Registers" for each MG model. The F Register held an ICE meeting where we stripped an F's panels and installed a new sound system, learning some useful tricks of the trade along the way. There were also meetings held about maintanance and performance improvements which involved working on one of the members own cars.

They were asking for the new Z range owners to forward their details to set up the MG-ZR/S/T REgister .. but it has all gone very quiet.

Any thoughts ...?

G

·
Nicely put I wonder why it hasn't got off the ground - never been a member any "MG" club - the brand has never had the appeal for me until "MG Sport & Racing" Thus, as a marketing tool " S & R Racing" is a total success.

The MG BB - seems to appeal to more owners of the before Phoenix MG's. However, I'm naturally biased. :D

However, I'm sure in time they will organise a register. In the meantime - you are slowly forming one here. You just need to invite more like minded souls.

For "workshops" this can be done using this Forum to organise your own speciliased meets or factory liasons with tuning companies.

NB: I am a member of the Lancer Register.
Was a member of the TR Drivers Club, TR Register and Puegeot GTi Club. The TR Register initially were anti new TR's until the realised they HAD to cater for the new boys.

G

·
OK

Maybe an idea to let him know we are here or get the membrers to e-mail you who are interested in joining such a register and then forward their names to him/her. Just a thought............:D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An inaugural meeting of the register will take place during the MGCC's Silverstone International meeting on 19th - 21st July, probably @ 14:00 on Sunday 21 July within the Silverstone Circuit.

If any one would like details, they should contact the team at Kimber House on 01235-555552 or [email protected].

G

·
J-Bo

Excellent a reponse - but that is 3 months away. Kelvin, a very enthusiastic MGer, mailed me and mentioned that they need 500 people before they may start such a register. This is obviously far too many. :(

The obvious benefit of the MGCC are the prolific advertising - committee and well organised events. So it maybe worth the wait.

However, for a REGISTER you don't need the above, there is no reason why you can't organise a ZR, ZS or even a ZED register yourself and then forward the data to the MGCC at a later date if required. There is PO Box with this site - details could then be forwarded to anyone who is willing to do the initial admin.

Anyone want to do such a thing. A sub Forum for ZED car gatherings can be added. :confused:

I can even add extra fields to the profile of the members so that people can offer more info on their cars...................

Just another thought.................... :confused: However, it's probably not a good idea to have a splinter REGISTER, therefore I guess the answer is to wait - confused - or what :confused:

Also, think the subject is worth letting all see under MGR Forums - so if you don't mind I'll move it?

Kelvin has some real Gen on this - I'm sure when he has the opportunity he will share his thoughts with all of us.

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
MGOC

There is currently some debate within the MGOC about the amount of space given to the newer cars in recent editions of 'Enjoying MG'.

As well as test drives on the MG TF and reports on the Zeds there has been a series of articles on servicing MGFs.

It would appar that some of the 'old brigade' feel that their influence is being undermined (IMHO).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not suprising really, there has always been great rivalry between the models.

I've owned a 1974 MG Midget, 2 MG Metros, an MGF and now an MG-ZR and the way the different MG owners interact is quite an education :rolleyes:

I was out for a 100 mile run today and acknowledged a number of fellow MG owners - MGB, MGF & MG-ZR - but got no response what so ever. :mad: Only in my MGF, did I really feel part of the MG family, exchange of waves & flashing of headlights being a regular event. :cool:

I guess the ZEDs are harder to spot head on, those MGB & MGFs I flashed today were probably wondering ... "what's fallen off now!" ;) I rest my case! :p

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I'm not a big fan of car clubs,been in the RS/XR (mispent youth) Rover & MGOC.
Most have their insurance schemes,but never seem able to give me a competative quote. The bi monthly magazines are often out of date or late by the time they arrive.
You only have to look at that which car club thread on theMG bbs, blimey the palestinians and israelies have nothing on that lot :D
At the end of the day the old guard probably think ZED owners are rovers bast*rd offspring ,so i think we are better off doing our own thing in our cyber communities..
BTW, before anyone posts -you get 20%MG discounts.dont start me on that one:mad:

G

·
Surely their is already a register for Z owners who want to join the MGCC. It is the well established FWD. I would also suggest that you miss the point of joining a club (any club) if you are driven by concern about "what's in it for me!". It is surely to mix with other like minded people for convivial company and mutual support. The MGCC organises lots of event including Silverstone with lots of members giving their time for free to make it an excellent event for tens of thousands.

Comparing disagreements between clubs as akin to the current problems in Palestine must surely win this month's insensitivity award!

·
MG ZT-T 190
6,716 Posts
The Z register of the MGCC is in very early stages of being formed! Zed owning members will be invited to a meeting at the Silverstone event in July. I understand the MGCC are waiting for somewhere in the region of 500 cars to be registered!!
500 on the books or not, a committee will be elected in July. There after it will be up to the commiittee to organise events, write regular feature in Saftey Fast, just as with all the other regisiters. I all ready have my name down to help with the register!
I'm a little miffed though at the delay, already there are owners who want to get invovled in activites and are having to do so thru forums and the BBS.

As for the 2 clubs, they work very close on a number of projects, and there is no ill feeling at the higher levels. There are however some individials who find it very very difficult to accept the 'other' club.
I am a member of both the MGOC and MGCC. For me the local Cambridge & Ditrict MGOC has been my adopted club
(I run the website) I did attend the local MGCC many years ago, and on the night felt it very difficult to fit in. My advise has alway been, join both the clubs on a national level, but seek out the local groups and see where you fit in!!!

I might add I was also a member of the MG'M' Group, which was set up as a rival to the FWD register as at that time there were no events ever organised for owners FWD MGs.

Kelvin

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
hold on a minute uncle albert.
I think i know what side of the fence you sit on ;)
You mention "whats in it for me" well some of the clubs i mentioned are either Ltd or owned by a individual, they are quick enough in their literature to tell me the benifits of joining their clubs Insurance ect ect so please forgive me for thinking that way.
And as for " mixing with other like minded people for convivial company and mutual support."well thats the point i'm making,i can do all that on X power mg .com and i have done .i just dont need some monolithic club to hold my hand to do so.
Thanks for the insensitivity award, i aim to please :D

kev neal

·
MG ZT-T 190
6,716 Posts
I just dont need some monolithic club to hold my hand to do so
Who said you did Kev?

Personally I like the club enviroment, the internent has become an extenstion of club life for me. And in some instances has enabled clubs activities to be more widely advertised and organised. I have myself orgainsed events via the BBS and email,
because of print schedules and space its not possible oraganise some events thru club magazines at short notice ie. less than 3 months.

Kelvin

G

·
Club - Association of persons united by some common interest meeting periodically for co-operation or conviviality - OED

This is the point I was attempting to make (however clumsily..) You join a club to be a working part of a community. Without wishing to get sucked into the "which MG club is best" argument, I would suggest the MGCC is a club (as indeed are most BBS's) whilst the MGOC is an entirely reputable business enterprise attempting is disguise itself as a club...

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Wave

I've been driving my sisters MGB for the last three weeks (as the sun has been out) and I have made a point of waving and flashing at the ZR ZS ZT's and nine times out of ten they just look at me like a freak!!!!
Come on guys!!!!

HOWEVER They always wave back at my girlfriend in her ZS 180???

Is it because she is better looking than I?

Chris

G

·
Just to let you know a register has been formed by the MGCC.

Fronted by a few of the folks who post frequently on this board.

tony
JLD
Kelvin Fagan

So far the two meets they have I've not been able to attend. But they are making good progress.

PS. Silly name thouh! :D
g

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
J-Bo - Bit of a stray "was it you?" this - Are you by any chance one of the two anthracite ZRs I see when walking to work along Otley Road (A660) and Clarendon Road in Leeds of a morning?

Have a look at the Northern Owners forum below and the link to the NMGO site. Some good driving to be had in them thar hills.

Diggers
(also a member of MGCC and MGF Register!- He said, getting back on topic)

·
Registered
173 Posts
MGOC

The MFOC is right at the end of my road, Swavesey, Cambridge.

They are a really nice bunch of guy's, I met the owner last year and he let me take some pictures for some engine Illustration I was doing. One of the guy's owns a MG-ZTT190, very nice car.

I see lots of Zeds outside the front when I drive past, In fact all I see down my road is MG's new and old. Thousands of em?

When I went in last with the MGZS180 he was really enthusiastic about them. He said they would like to write more about them in the publication, but the hard liners were making it difficult.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts