MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
don't know if its been noticed or not, but thought you might all like to know that the MG 6 has an admittedly small mention in the July issue of top gear magazine, bottom of p30.
Amazingly, they don't instantly slate it, instead referring to it as "surprisingly not-ugly", although they do mention that them running with a reworked K series engine does not give them hope...

So, what do we reckon, might Mr Clarkson et al actually like this one?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Clarkson actually DID like the ZS, to quote "you should try one it's bloody good".

·
Still not cured of MG addiction
7,110 Posts
Clarkson actually DID like the ZS, to quote "you should try one it's bloody good".
He was also a big fan of the SV and the ZT V8 :)

·
Elegantly Wasted
286 Posts

was this in a review he did of it?? Have heard this quote from him before but can never find where it came out of:) would be interested to read the rest of his thoughts on the zs:)

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
It was in a newspaper article when he was writing for the Sunday Times.

It's probably online somewhere.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you might have to subscribe to the Times online to access the article, but according to a 2002 Mg-rover.org post by user nick_lucas:

"Well he said "its a good car".

BUT

out of about 2000 words all he mentioned about the car was;

"Oh and the car I was driving?

A £16,640 four-door saloon. The MG ZS. You should try one. It's bloody good."

Didnt he have anything else to say about it in 2000 words of space.

? "

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Be great if they did a road test of the MG6 on Top Gear, lets hope it happens? :)

Be interesting to see if it handles as well as the ZS?

The ZS was shown on fifth gear where Tiff Needel said "its the best fwd in its class by far". :)

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
Be great if they did a road test of the MG6 on Top Gear, lets hope it happens? :)

Be interesting to see if it handles as well as the ZS?

The ZS was shown on fifth gear where Tiff Needel said "its the best fwd in its class by far". :)
It is bigger and heavier than a ZS with a suspension setup very similar to a ZT, I think it handles just slightly better than a ZT.

Test drive up the hill at Goodwood.

When was the last time they road tested a FWD car on Top Gear? It would be at the bottom of the board as it has an engine less than 4L in size, even with the big V6!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
It is bigger and heavier than a ZS with a suspension setup very similar to a ZT, I think it handles just slightly better than a ZT.

Test drive up the hill at Goodwood.

When was the last time they road tested a FWD car on Top Gear? It would be at the bottom of the board as it has an engine less than 4L in size, even with the big V6!
Yes I agree, the new MG6 1.8 turbo 0-60 claims are 8.5 secs, which isn't that quick with what is on the road today in the same class. Lets hope there will be some aftermarket accessories to improve on this, and a sporty bodykit would go down well? :)

Have we any idea on the price yet?
The price is still too be announced and should be in the showrooms from November this year. A test drive is a must! :)

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
Yes I agree, the new MG6 1.8 turbo 0-60 claims are 8.5 secs, which isn't that quick with what is on the road today in the same class. Lets hope there will be some aftermarket accessories to improve on this, and a sporty bodykit would go down well? :)
The new 1.8T went very nicely at Goodwood but if you want a fast car rather than just a quick car then you need a bigger engine, not a little tunning!

The price is still too be announced and should be in the showrooms from November this year. A test drive is a must! :)
From £15K is the rumour looking most likely to be correct...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts