MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ahhh. It's good to be back.....
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been thinking about buying a car that I can use just as a track day slag.

I've bounced some ideas around on here and done quite a lot of research into which car to get. I loved my ZS so was going to get one of those and then it was MGF Trophy or ZR 160. I then stumbled accross the idea of the Metro VVC conversion.

Now I know a lot of people will have strong opinions about this one way or another but at the moment it seems to make a lot of sense to me. I don't want to go and buy an EVO, not am I expecting that this Metro or 100 will be as fast or good as an EVO. What I want it a cheap track day car that will make me smile and will be interesting in pub banter.

Like most people my age I started my driving life in a Metro so they will always be dear to me. They are bloody cheap now (some for good reason - granted), weigh nothing, easy to store off road, easy to work on and most of all - FUN.

I was dealing with a guy last week who was going to sell me a 1998 3dr 100 for £200. I've since had problems with my ZT-T (typical) which may use up my savings until after the new year.

Once I get a few hundred back in the fund I will invest and start logging progress on here and asking for help from people smarter and better than me (I work in IT - I'm not a mechanic).

Discuss...... :carstart:

·
If in doubt, flat out!
1,489 Posts
speak to Goldie, he had a 2 litre metro that would quite happily scare Porshes out on the track!

Sure he's running a VVC in it now

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Buy a Honda ITR remove everything and you have a ready to go track car out of the box, brakes, LSD, suspension and chassis are capable in stock form.
Alternatively, buy a cheap Civic and have a B20 Frankenstein conversion done, that’s a Honda CRV 2 litre bottom end with a VETC head an easy 220bhp, this can be done for £1500 pounds including engine and conversion.

·
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.
12,325 Posts
steves 200 vi would be ideal.
i like the idea of metro vvc i have to admit because metros just look so ....well they just look like nothing, but with 170 bhp and weighing 700 kilos stripped they must be a hoot.
reylands site has a lot of info on this conversion as he builds them.

above idea sounds intersting from ed mind !

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I hope to be building another soon, bought an MGF at the end of the summer for £500, will be fitting the MGF front subframe with the engine and suspension canisters from the rear then fitting it to a Rover 100.

Use MGF brakes, front anti roll bar (might hit the ground a bit though on the road, will be fine on a track) front suspension bottom arms (better camber etc). You might want shock absorbers, I didnt have any on my last one and it handled fantastic, if you do want them you have to strengthen the inner wings as only GTI's have the right plates welded in. Use the Metro engine hanger not the MGF one, the MGF one is alloy so looks tempting but its to big, mount the Metro one 10mm higher and 20mm futher forward (some cut and re weld, I plan to make some spacers 10mm thick with holes 20mm appart).

Individualise the suspension, fit rear droop stops and MGB bump stops to reduce rear travel and fit R888's. For £1500 you'll have one hell of a machine. Dont bother with a 160VVC its harder to convert and overly costly, use a 143 and fit a 52mm throttle body for 155bhp all day long (with the inevitable air cleaner and exhaust you'll have to use) mine had a 56mm throttle, a reprofiled exhaust cam and 165.2bhp on a lean dyno, fueling was spot on all the way to the limiter.

·
12,325 Posts
i see on the reyland site it mentions a civic type r engine transplant into a metro.
220 bhp easy there, anyone know of one, id like to read up about summat like that.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
i see on the reyland site it mentions a civic type r engine transplant into a metro.
220 bhp easy there, anyone know of one, id like to read up about summat like that.
Theres a few 1.6 VTEC's been done and I beleive a 1.8 at the moment. The 2.0 is a heavy engine, powerfull yes but probably make it a different car altogether.

·
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Buy a Honda ITR remove everything and you have a ready to go track car out of the box, brakes, LSD, suspension and chassis are capable in stock form.
Alternatively, buy a cheap Civic and have a B20 Frankenstein conversion done, that’s a Honda CRV 2 litre bottom end with a VETC head an easy 220bhp, this can be done for £1500 pounds including engine and conversion.
I owned a Civic Type R - loved it.

Hearts in crappy old rovers though so I'm sticking with them. Tracking a Honda is a no brainer and would no doubt be easy and great. But it's not a talking point.....

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Hi all,

I've been thinking about buying a car that I can use just as a track day slag.

I've bounced some ideas around on here and done quite a lot of research into which car to get. I loved my ZS so was going to get one of those and then it was MGF Trophy or ZR 160. I then stumbled accross the idea of the Metro VVC conversion.

Now I know a lot of people will have strong opinions about this one way or another but at the moment it seems to make a lot of sense to me. I don't want to go and buy an EVO, not am I expecting that this Metro or 100 will be as fast or good as an EVO. What I want it a cheap track day car that will make me smile and will be interesting in pub banter.

Like most people my age I started my driving life in a Metro so they will always be dear to me. They are bloody cheap now (some for good reason - granted), weigh nothing, easy to store off road, easy to work on and most of all - FUN.

I was dealing with a guy last week who was going to sell me a 1998 3dr 100 for £200. I've since had problems with my ZT-T (typical) which may use up my savings until after the new year.

Once I get a few hundred back in the fund I will invest and start logging progress on here and asking for help from people smarter and better than me (I work in IT - I'm not a mechanic).

Discuss...... :carstart:
When you come down speak to Dan, he raced a 190 bhp metro really fast. I have done the 1.8 version and to be fair beats Elises on a track day. One of the guys in Metro Cup has a lowered split suspension (essential) on metro gti full mot track tyres shockers etc witha 1.8. It is quicker than his BRM race car and ZR. Jonathans after £1200 from memory ready to go.

Anything over 170 bhp becomes a hand full, we converted one to TF subframes 5 years ago to get rid of hydro gas, fitted c/r dog box great car but as with Dans 190 on a knife edge. However they beat everything on track. Dans metro was upto 5 seconds quicker than my race ZS.

Dans metro beating 3.9 V8's at Silverstone as ever

My Rover R6 Rally car (ex Silverstone Rally School) 1.8 Elise Engine fitted with Ewart Kitsons QED Engined 1.8 Screamer

Ewart promtly doing the engine, 4th to 5th turned into 4th to 3rd and good night, however as we were on Lotus on track day I purchased another 20K 1.8 out of a 135 Elise for 300 quid so not to bad. VVC command big money
and to be fair if you want power out of them you bin the VVC so why bother.

·
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Peter,

Well I have replied to your kind offer of help so I will hopefully be seeing you (and all your toys) soon.

I'll be asking you for help with the Metro/ 100 conversion n all I can imagine.

·
12,325 Posts
baaah humbug....you seen this rubbish ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G36fWKBpDjg&feature=related

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts