MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Still not cured of MG addiction
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a go in one of these? My mate's just got one, he let me have a quick go in it. Handling seemed very good, the LSD was very noticeable, loads of grip but ride quality was roughly the same as the ZS180, maybe slightly better.

What impressed me the most was the hard acceleration being there so far across the rev range. My ZS180 was very quick but it always seemed to be 5.5k to 7k RPM. This Megane was quick from just over 2k RPM to the redline, so basically any speed any gear it just went.

I was quite impressed. Not saying I'd want to own one, but I admired it from having a go in it :)

·
Longbridge !
3,306 Posts
I've always had a bit of a thing for the Megane especially the hot versions.

This would do

·
Wrote off but not Dead YET !!!
4,803 Posts
there was some at donny yesterday on track:

·
''Fire up the Quattro''.
1,935 Posts
I had a close look around an R26R and it was a very tasty looking motor. The price tag would be Evo money though :s
.......+ it's french & will have stupied little faults.Must admit i looked at a couple of 225 sports before i saw sense & went back to VW.

·
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.
12,325 Posts
i wouldnt think anyone buying an R26 R will be too bothered about it being french, its a factory built trackcar and even comes with 888's standard.
Its the best bar none, theres a video on the net testing the R26R against the new focus rs 300 around silverstone, bear in mind the focuse has an extra 70 bhp and silverstone is a grand prix circuit and you'd be forgiven for thinking the rs would be miles quicker but not so, the meg is a full 3 seconds quicker around the lap.
Lightweight handler vs heavyweight brute power,..... there will always be only one winner.

·
I miss you Dad!!!!!!
10,620 Posts
Meg R26R's are an awesome bit o kit!

A mate o mine works for renault as a salesman n he recently bought one round to show me- They'll certainly not be for everyone that's for sure- they have a very firm ride- little in the way of creature comforts, and are heavily focused as a trackday tool!

Mods that they have/you can spec include:-

LSD
Part cage
6 point harnesses
Proper moulded lightweight buckets
Titanium exhaust system (very ££££ option though!!!!)
Toyo R888 tyres, Apparently the o.e tyre fitment is a version the Michelin pilot cup or somet- which is supposed the be VERY good, but obviously for the more hardcore they do offer the R888's!
Poly-carb back window (not sure about rear side windows!)
Brembo 4 pot front calipers and 300+mm discs (not sure on exact size)

Prob more that i've missed, but they go well- handle REALLY well (as you'd expect), and actually sound good too- even without the Titanium system!

It's the only Renault i'd consider, & whilst i'd personally prefer the Focus RS (more live-able with as an everday flier n better looking) there's no denying what Renault have acheived with the Meg R26R!

Maybe Ford will produce a lighter weight- more track focused version of the RS to compete!?????????

·
Registered
627 Posts
theres not very much diference between the trophy, the cup or the r26 personnally i would buy a trophy for half the price

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
Theres also a new boy on the block

Renault Megane Coupe III RS

Engine
Power 184 kw (247hp / 250 ps)
Torque 340 Nm (251 Lb-Ft)
Displacement 2.0 liters
Engine type 4 cylinders, 16 valves turbo twin scroll
Engine location front
General data
Gearbox 6 manual
Drive Front with LSD
Mass 1350 kilograms (2970 lbs)
Weight distribution -
Year of introduction 2009
Home country France

Attachments

·
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
theres not very much diference between the trophy, the cup or the r26 personnally i would buy a trophy for half the price
My mate's got the R26 (not the R26 R), he says it's a combination of the best bits of the previous attempts to sort out the 225 Megane.

The R26 has the LSD, does the Trophy have it too?

·
Registered
627 Posts
normal 225 is rubbish , the trophy and the cup have uprated chassis , bigger brakes , plus trophy is in nimrod grey exclusive to the trophy, i know the r26 r is lighter and has 5 more brake horse power , but i dont think it warrants the price hike having driven both there is liitle to no difference performance wise may be a little different on the track. the chassis was the main problem with the early 225's

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
They all have one thing in common including the new Coupe i posted about

All ugly:getcoat:

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
A mate of mine has the 197 clio its a great piece of kit it surprises a few people its quite quick an other mate of mine has a astra vxr which is meant to be running 280 bhp weather it is or not is another question but the astra cant catch the clio . The clio has had a few mods it has a remap,,itg induction, sports cat and miltek exhaust he was told its running about 220bhp . I must admit i do like the current renault stuff there bringing some good stuff out and damn quick aswell with the handling to go with it

·
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
but the astra cant catch the clio
Flippin eck that Clio must be quick, mind you 220bhp in a car that size is going to go well!

·
Registered
2 Posts
they all look the same, the Mazda looks identical to the Megane.
The only one that wont change will be the Golf.lol
They just always stay the same apart from new head lights.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts