MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lol had puncture today,,,,,,, could not get tyre off as mcgard wheel lock tool was totaly wasted ( i know who did it) took it in this year for new tyre ( not saying where) but noticed that they were using a impact wrench to refit wheel...... DID MY NUT AT EM!!!!!!!!

Never use impact wrenches on the mcgard locking wheel nuts ( it ******s the tool up........................... And a ****** of a job just to get the tool

So ,, had puncture,,,, tried to take wheel off, tool totaly wasted phoned a well known breakdown company, they could not get it off, waited for flat bed to take me home then they bumped me and car on driveway.

So!!!!! tell em,,,,,, dont use a impact wrench on your McGard locking wheel nuts....

Time taken from puncture to getting home 4hrs and i was 4 miles away. And i still havent got it off yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hammerhea:twak2:

·
A boffin and proud of it
1,893 Posts
Agreed 100%, always insist that the nuts are undone and tightened using a socket operated by hand. Also, any good tyre place will torque the nuts up to the correct figure (110 NM) That way, it will be easier for them when they come to take the wheel off again. Also, the locking nut should be undone first and tightened last. When I go for tyre work, the torque wrench is in the boot. No excuses.
The car I had before the ZS was bought at 6 months old. First thing was to see if the wheel nuts could be undone. None budged. Straight back to the dealer (a main dealer!!) reminding them that they really would not like the call from a hard shoulder.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts