MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OT

Just been reading about the new MB E500 - V8 power and sensible toys not like the *** 7-series. If the ZT385 is not forthcoming maybe that may be a decent alternative. Bought a CLK320 a few years back when they were 1st launched and also a Viffer750.

Miss the bike - but can't justify a new VFR or R1, as I can't say that I was a good rider. The CLK was reasonably well built - but MAX hated it in the winter - tended to understeer (wet/slippery roads).

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Or maybe an Elise - had the blue for about a couple of months before the VI arrived. Fancy the new "72," just wish MGR would give us some idea about the V8's, before I do something irrational! However, hopefully we should know something when the 265 is launched in the Summer!

I'm sure you are right about the wait - but time doesn't stand still. All you need is a fuel crisis and they won't make it either (thinking back to MGB V8's - only MG worth buying - IMHO until the MGF was launched). I do realise that this statement is controversial + it comes from someone who has never driven a MG Maestro/Montego - so I do apologise to those who have.

The Elise would be fun and cheap to run - very light and thus efficient. Also thought about keeping the EVO and buying a ZT190 or ZS180. However, I would always be thinking the ZS180/45 is about to be replaced in a couple of years + it has been around for seven already. While the ZT190 is too similar to the 75 I've had and thus does not have the urge I desire - but you never know. :D Anybody want to buy a Saxo?

Attachments

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
And also fairly unreliable. Engine is good, but fit and finish is suspect at best.

One of our managers here has an elise, and there's one thing that would really put me off getting one (apart from the fact that I can't afford one!).

That's the roof. It takes Alistair about 20 minutes to take the roof off and put it back on again. I could never be bothered with all that faff....

And personally I don't like Mercs. The design is just too old fashioned IMHO.... I certainly don't think they're worth the money they charge for them. Nor do other people if the sales figures are anything to go by...

Have you thought about getting a 265? OK, not as powerful, but still fast, and rear wheel drive fun too.. .:)

Keep the faith Jerry. Once the 385 comes out, there won't be much on the market that will compete.. (Maybe the *** M5?)

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
After 3 yeas in the saddle of a C230, I was a bit saddened to find that the Merc was, well, just another car. They seem to have lost a bit of their once noted personality. The 385 will be overflowing with that!

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Agree with you wholeheartedly Dave.

If you're a bit of a poser at heart (like I am), the MG is great, and attracts looks. The same cannot be said of even the fastest merc/***/audi etc these days...

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly. I wouldn't be without the ZT 190+ having owned one now.... :)

Although the 385 is coming soon...hmmm might end up getting the master one of them and I'll have the 190 :D

·
True Brit
1,048 Posts
I know the 385 is going to be a beast, but I think the 190 is enough for British roads, I love the sound of a 6 more than an 8, also I like the fact that the 190 has the MGR engine, I'm not a Ford man at all.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
That much is very true and the 190 is enough to give those *** freaks a run for their money, and in most cases, an OUTRUN for their money, especially around the bends!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree I'm anti ***, BUT you cannot ignore them: the M3 and M5 are very fine cars indeed.

The M3 is arguably better than a Porsche 996 - "tunnel vision" is what we don't need. Respect the competition, will ensure that MGR will produce competative goods. The British car industry has been complacent before and look what has been the outcome - MGR in a much reduced form.

We all love to wax lyrical about Triumph and Austin Healey, but where are they today? We must face upto the competition. We must recognise too that we cannot stand still - to beat the old enemy!

So saying a ZT190+ is better than a *** is fine if you compare it to a 325 - but with a 330 it is a close run thing - have an open mind and then by MGR!

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Jerry, agree that the new M3 is a nice car - the M5 is still a bit of a barge (IMHO)...

I certainly respect the abilities of them. However, just look at the price differential. I remember reading a review of the 190 when it first came out that said something like:

The ZT190 is 3/4 of an m3 for 1/2 the price.

How can you argue with a comment like that? :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nick

I know I'll buy a MG this week - but also look at the residuals in Autocar. The premium product can make sense. Just saying that you need to try all the chocolates before deciding you don't like coconut! :D

Be foolish to jump in with both feet. The M5 a barge. :D :D :D - brilliant comment - I think its superb (same mold as a ZT385 - but with toys).

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
The M5 a barge?

Whatever will Jim think of that - he quite likes his 'barge'.

·
Former ZT-T 260 owner
2,256 Posts
Jerry,

My friend with the M3 is a member of the *** owners club, and even most of them think the M5/5 series is a barge.. :D

I have to say that I do like the *new* 3 series coupe. I also have to say I HATE the new 3 compact, the new 1 series concept, the 5 series and the 7 series.

Nowt wrong with checking resale values, but personally I don't buy a car because it will be out of date in a couple of years or because it won't be worth much later. I buy it because I like it.

Driving around this morning in the sun with the sunglasses on and air-con keeping me cool, makes me realise I made the right choice (for being a poser). If I was driving an M car or in fact any ***, the car wouldn't get a second glance seeing as every other car seems to be one these days...Fine if that's what you want, but......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nick

That's the whole point - we all don't have to like the same product. I'm very anti *** - but I do respect their sports products.

On residuals - I don't think MGR will agree with you - they NEED high residuals otherwise they WILL loose sales. A percent lost on a fleet of cars must be serious. I actually couldn't believe the figures when I saw them last week - 28% residual on some MGS's after 3 years (50% on the EVO BTW) and we talk about the rest - it all takes us time to earn a crust and I'm not about to throw it down the drain! :D :D

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
The residuals may be higher, but if it twice as much in the first place you cannot directly compare the % without taking this into consideration.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts