MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Been a member on here quite a while as always loved the ZS but have had a ZR 120 since Oct 2007. I used to be on themgzr.co.uk forums fairly frequently but not been on there much recently. The reason being I have had my ZR off the road for most of this year as not really needed it living in central Manchester without a parking space, I did think about selling up but decided to keep it in the end until I knew for definite if I would be moving again or not. I am moving again, still in the centre but with a parking space and am quite tempted to take advantage of the relatively cheap prices the ZS seems to be going for at the moment. Ideally I would be looking at the MK2 180 as the difference in tax and insurance compared to my ZR 120 over the year isn’t too great. This will be something I will most likely be looking to do in January or February. In the meantime I am trying to do as much research as possible and get to know any issues and things to look out for when buying etc.

Just wanted to know your guy’s opinions on what price range I should be looking at and things to look out for during test drives/inspections etc. Also how much a year should I be budgeting for servicing/maintenance etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

·
Ahhh. It's good to be back.....
1,454 Posts
Hi there - is it the Saloon or the Hatch you are after?

I sold my Mk2 180 Saloon for £3300 the other day. It was low mileage and good nic.

Its def a better car over all than the ZR (of which I have as well (although not the 160)).

If you get one that hasn't had the belts done then get saving as it costs a lot. Other than that it should be reasonable to run. The petrol costs will run up quite quickly in the V6. It doesn't use much oil and is quite good on tyres as well. Insurance can be hefty if you are younger or dangerous.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi there - is it the Saloon or the Hatch you are after?

I sold my Mk2 180 Saloon for £3300 the other day. It was low mileage and good nic.

Its def a better car over all than the ZR (of which I have as well (although not the 160)).

If you get one that hasn't had the belts done then get saving as it costs a lot. Other than that it should be reasonable to run. The petrol costs will run up quite quickly in the V6. It doesn't use much oil and is quite good on tyres as well. Insurance can be hefty if you are younger or dangerous.
It would have to be the Saloon as personally I think in mk2 from the Hatchback just doesn't work anywhere near as well as the saloon.

I keep hearing about the belts being key so will bear it in mind if I come to be negotiating for one. Petrol costs arn't too much of an issue as I can walk to work and hence the car would mainly be used for pleasure at the weekends etc. Insurance wise I am 25 next year and have 5 years no claims so it isn't too different from the cost of insuring my ZR when you spread it over 12 months. How are the climate controls units? I only ask as the air con in my ZR stopped working due to a hole in one of the pipes not long after I had it.

Cheers for all the info.

... and you'll have to change your site username

:sofa:
Haha yes I will!

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
ZS180 over ZR160 anyday (got both in the drive).

Belts on the V6 need doing at 60k or 6 years so a mk2 will soon be due if not already there and at upto £500 to do it is definatly something to consider.

Also watch out for the VIS problems and the crap clutch hydralics which can be cured with a sheddist kit.

·
Lovin' the torque
288 Posts
I've had two Mk2s with the climate control and I'd highly recommend it. It's a good reliable unit with senisble logic so it keeps a good even temperature. I've done 74K miles and the only thing that went wrong was the resistor pack failed after about 65K so the fan stuck on full. £70 from a scappers or about £120 new.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Have a skyline ;)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Im selling my zs 180 v6 look in the forsale area it a mk1 but has only just had belts and water pump changed it aslo low miles with many extras plus the road tax on a mk2 zs is £415 per year the mk1 is £245 just something to think about

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Im selling my zs 180 v6 look in the forsale area it a mk1 but has only just had belts and water pump changed it aslo low miles with many extras plus the road tax on a mk2 zs is £415 per year the mk1 is £245 just something to think about
Just taxed my mk2 and it was just over £200, weird.

·
Lovin' the torque
288 Posts
It's only £415 if it was first registered in 2006

1 - 10 of 10 Posts