MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If there are any of you in the bath/bristol area, I need a massive favor. I need my rear brakes changing. I have the parts, just not the knowledge and wouldn't trust my self to do it. Are any of you able to do this for me?? I will give you a pretty penny at the end of the month :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In all fairness, I have next to no knowledge when it comes to fitting brakes and I wouldn't trust myself with it. however a friend of a friend (who comes highly recommended) has come to the recue and is getting sorted tonight :)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
The only way to be sure they've been fitted properly is to do them yourself. Use a DTI if you have one to check for run out from true once the disks are on the hub. Kwik bodge wouldnt do that.

DTI...mmm...Dept of Trade and Industry... Debt to Income Ratio.. Diesel Turbo injection.... Ok, I give up!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, it turns out the piston had seized in the calliper. Any body got a spare calliper for a 120???

·
Registered
15 Posts
doubt the piston has seized they need winding in with a tool many are available the cheapest is a square block with different size lobes on all sides they are rely easy if you look at them by the way except for the 180 all the 200/400.45/25zr/zs calipers are all the same

·
Registered
59 Posts
iirc you can remove the piston with the above tool and give it a clean and grease up and buy a new seal for it instead of buying a full new caliper but i maybe mistaken but definately worth looking into

·
Registered
11 Posts
My old ones are testament to the fact they do seize, the seal had perished and the resulting corrosion stopped the piston moving back into the calliper.

I got refurbed units from eBay, worked out to be around £30 each after the rebate. What side do you need?

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
You don't need a special tool. I always use the flat edge of my angle grinder spanner.Or any similar flat edge such as a chisel will do it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts