MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
nearly a year overdue (previous owner's fault) but finally! Done by Gas-axe, what a thoroughly nice man.

Water pump was leaking..... water and oil! So I doubt I would have made it to germany and back next week had I left the service til afterwards.

All running smooth and whisper quiet now, seems very eager to go too, although that's compared to driving it like Miss Daisy recently.

Excellent upgrade to 5.1 brake fluid, well worth it.

Aux belt was non-branded and making a lot of noise, well worth changing that too.

Dave - what was that trick you did to set the throttle cable? I can't heal-and-toe any more as there is much slack at the top now :cry: What are the consequences of having it too tight?

·
Administrator
10,642 Posts
Hi Sam!

Good to meet you last weekend and it was a pleasure to work on your car - everything went really smoothly which was nice!

Throttle cable - it is currently set where it should be as per the factory but if you want it tighter ;) aye all you have to do is slip the square black collar out of it's retainer and wind it a few turns so that the cable is tightened - looking into the engine bay you'll need to turn it anticlockwise.

That cheap aux belt was really noisy, the back of it was shiny - and the lack of any makers markings aparts from a few random numbers sort of confirmed my feeling when I first heard the noise, which was very evident upon your arrival.

·
Administrator
10,642 Posts
Andbefore yours, I've never seen a water pump actually leaking on a KV6, even more so at the low mileage of yours at 33,000 - so further backing up the NEED to replace the pump at each belt change.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Andbefore yours, I've never seen a water pump actually leaking on a KV6, even more so at the low mileage of yours at 33,000 - so further backing up the NEED to replace the pump at each belt change.
Although mine had done significantly more mileage - mine was weeping water too, so I'd 'back up' the above comment on replacing the water pump as a matter of course.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Replacing the water pump is an absolute must as it takes the bearing load for the cams in the rear bank, not like most engines where it is on the over run back to the crank from the pulleys, if its not changed at 90k I imagine it would give up shortly after and destroy the engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts