MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else having problems tightening the terminal clamps? Thought of padding out the battery posts with silver foil but not sure how conductive that is. Found some metal shims on ebay that fit over the posts but it ships from America. Any other improvised solutions? I don't really want to replace the clamps.

· Registered
19 Posts
I had the same problem last winter in the works car park - would not start due to loose positive connector on the battery.

As it was dark and late and below ZERO, I found a 10mm spanner in the workshop to try to tighten but no good.

Desperation then sank in - need some thin metal ????

So back into the office where I found several paper-clips, straightened out 3 of them and spaced them equally around the terminal post then slid the clamp back on. result was the car then started and they have been there ever since.

· Registered
38 Posts
Just give the clamp a squeeze with some pliers to make it oval rather than round, and then push it on.

Job jobbed.

The problem is people overtighten them and the clamps stretch. Some batterys have slightly smaller terminals than others which doesn't help.

· Registered
559 Posts
mine fall of few times, after this I bought new in hifi car audio store. Cost 8e. And it´s fine more than 2years

· Registered
19 Posts
I had the same problem when I came out of the office one dark very cold winter night last year - not enough power to turn the car over.

It was late and all my work mates had already gone and our workshop was deserted but I borrowed a 10mm spanner and tried to tighten it up but to no avail.

So I needed some constructive thinking, I went back into the office and got some paperclips straightened them out and placed 4 evenly spaced around the battery post. I then tapped the terminal back on and tightened it up.

Its worked perfectly ever since.

· Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good tips here. thanks. Weird thing is, the clamp had jumped clean off the post and was lying to one side. Only realized when I turned the ignition off and the doors didn't unlock. Shouldn't the engine have died the moment the battery got unhooked? :confused:

· Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Good tips here. thanks. Weird thing is, the clamp had jumped clean off the post and was lying to one side. Only realized when I turned the ignition off and the doors didn't unlock. Shouldn't the engine have died the moment the battery got unhooked? :confused:
Guess engine was running due to getting power from alternator, but I'd have thought that once circuit was broken by battery becoming disconnected it would have stopped anyway :dunno:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.