MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Good news for the manufacturing industry - but I have to say I hated the vehicle and still do with a vengence. It's either 2 or 4 wheels vehicles. 3 are inherently unstable! Should leave it to Rest in Peace! Remember seeing one tip over at low speed on the North York Moors when I was a kid! URGH!

Now the Scimitar was altogether a different vehicle. Remember seeing the Princess Royal at Burghley horse trials years ago and thought the car looked fantastic then. :)

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
I agree with you that as far as the Reliant Robin is concerned 3 wheels are unstable, but I believe that some Morgan drivers may disagree.

G

·
John

Very valid point, regarding Morgan and taken on board! However, their concept was 2 wheels in front, which must be better than the way Reliant were doing things?

Although, I'm sure the debate will now include the Bond Bug afficiendos! :D

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Never actually saw a Reliant Robin tip over but I did come across one on its roof that had done so just before I got there. Helped occupants whist someone called emergency services.

I can remember a work colleague helping someone to move a 'fridge in a Reliant van - the vans chassis snapped!!!

G

·
Mate of mine had a supervan (like Delboy's) about 20 years ago, we used to go out pubbing in it (5 or 6 of us!) and regularly popped wheelies in it!! Rolled it 2 or 3 times as well,at low speed (what else!!), just put it back on it's wheels when we'd stopped laughing and carried on!!
Misspent youth!!:D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yonks ago, I was actually sent out to write up the Tamworth terror for a Fleet Rag, as a bit of an alternative article, along with a bit of it's history.
Driving one wasnearly as awful as you'd think. That steering felt so weird, and you forget it's impossible directness until it is almost too late. Somehow it was like driving a normal car with flat front tyres-and obviously any look-no-hands bravado on the wheel lasted mere milliseconds.
The little 750 engine has its origins in the pre-war Austin 7. 40-odd bhp, and an absolutely tent-peg pulling 49lb/ft of torque now seems incredulous in this day and age, but coupled to a very light body and chassis and that generous 3rd gear meant that it was capable of a very surprising mid-range roll on, that had one Sierra driver I encountered very agitated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts