MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not 100% sure put a post up about coolant levels changing some1 said it could b a jiggle valve ??

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
The jiggle valve is in the coolant system to try and dislodge airlocks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think it is located in the inlet manifold where the coolant hoses come on. I'll check tommorow if KV6 has it. Not sure, but all K4 have it. Basically it is a non-return valve.

The jiggle valve is in the coolant system to try and dislodge airlocks.
Exactly like PeteT16 wrote.

·
Zedhead
177 Posts
Sure you dont mean jiggle pin ? the jiggle pin is located inside the thermostat like stated to allow air to escape the system, as far as i know all cars will have these as its part of the thermostat :)

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
basically i lose coolant but when i undo the cap the tank fills bk up and some1 on here said it was the jiggle valve??

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well, I've checked on some dismounted manifolds, and they don't have jiggle valve inside. KV6 don't have it.

Well aparently cap isn't faulty. If it would be, the coolant wouldn't come up as you undo it, when the engine is hot.

I'd presume it is a leaking thermostat housing or plastic hoses beside thermostat housing. These are most frequent coolant loose problems.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cool cheers for finding that out, dunno what it is then? not losing coolant as such it just dont stay in the tank

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
Well, I've checked on some dismounted manifolds, and they don't have jiggle valve inside. KV6 don't have it.

Well aparently cap isn't faulty. If it would be, the coolant wouldn't come up as you undo it, when the engine is hot.

I'd presume it is a leaking thermostat housing or plastic hoses beside thermostat housing. These are most frequent coolant loose problems.
It still seems to me that something must be stopping the coolant returning to the expansion bottle through its top hose - when the cap is removed it returns through the bottom (exit) hose. What on a KV6 can seal off the top expansion bottle hose?

·
Registered
516 Posts
cool cheers for finding that out, dunno what it is then? not losing coolant as such it just dont stay in the tank
Depends on what engine is in the car, V6 or I4? It's certainly present in the 4 cylinder engines.

The 'Jiggle Valve' is located alongside Cylinder No.1's Inlet on the Manifold :~

It's the small ball bearing enclosed in the brass coloured metal housing in the picture. It's purpose is to allow any air in the cooling system to pass out of the cylinder head and engine.

I have noticed that they can become completely blocked up with solid crud. Particularly in cars that have had little or no TLC servicing of the cooling system. Crud built up over the years when the coolant is not changed and system flushed as recommended lodges in that little valve and completely blocks it. Making the all important correct bleeding of the K-Series cooling system impossible and always leaving air where you do not want it ~ in the engine. Air in the engine leads to localised overheating and that destroys gaskets and if left unchecked, can destroy engines ... in any car.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cylinder No.1's Inlet on the Manifold is that located on the left hand side as u look at the engine or right ??

·
Registered
516 Posts
Cylinder No.1's Inlet on the Manifold is that located on the left hand side as u look at the engine or right ??
Yes on the transversely located 4-Cylindered K-Series. That's the cylinder nearest the timing side of the engine. Cylinder No. 4 being nearest to the gearbox.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It still seems to me that something must be stopping the coolant returning to the expansion bottle through its top hose - when the cap is removed it returns through the bottom (exit) hose. What on a KV6 can seal off the top expansion bottle hose?
It is the pressure that builds inside the colling system, that holds down coolant level!

·
Registered
516 Posts
It is the pressure that builds inside the colling system, that holds down coolant level!
Yes, and releasing that pressure before an engine and its coolant has cooled down by undoing the Coolant Expansion Bottle Cap too soon ( can be dangerous ~ scalding risk ) will usually see the coolant 'boiling over' even in a healthy engine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Don't even bother, if you are sure you have ZS 180, it is a V6.

Check the thermostat housing. If it is leaking you will see coolant or traces of coolant dye in the V of the engine block, bellow the alloy inlet manifolds.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts