MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all ive been trying to research on the net but have had no success i read on a tuning website that in the worst cases a waterpump can rob ur engine of 17 bhp what i want to no is there a belt the rite size so that i can do away with the aircon and waterpump and run a bosch electric pump as there so many benefits using an electric system. surely someone has gone down this route before ur comments would be gratefully appriciated

·
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.
12,325 Posts
not sure on water pump but i know a guy with a cliosport 172 who rollered his car, then removed aircon, then re-rollered on the same rollers and it did actually prove some gain. I don't remember how much exactly but i remember being surprised how much it was.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
not sure on water pump but i know a guy with a cliosport 172 who rollered his car, then removed aircon, then re-rollered on the same rollers and it did actually prove some gain. I don't remember how much exactly but i remember being surprised how much it was.
Why did he roller it with the air con on? If you switch it off the electric clutch dis engages and it becomes nothing more than a weight penalty it wont rob HP.

Problem you will have fitting an electric pump to the KV6 is that the water pump is the main pulley between the banks, you would need an addapter plate made up with the water pump input on it (could take the feed straight off the theromostat) and also a very strong pulley, would be dificult to get them both in there.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
An easy solution would be to remove the impellers on the pump so you can retain the pulley.

Of course adding a continous electrical draw will add to the drag on the alternator.............

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
An easy solution would be to remove the impellers on the pump so you can retain the pulley.

Of course adding a continous electrical draw will add to the drag on the alternator.............
Isn't it kind of like a conseravtion of energy thing - moving X amount of water per min will take X amount of power, whether thats mechanical, electriacal or whatever

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Electric pumps are less efficient than mechanical ones, the draw on your engine from the alternator when the pump is running will be greate than the load from the pump but the pump wont run all the time on the road. On a track it will though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts