MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I know that this is a common problem. I have done quite a bit of online research. I have read all of the advice I can find, and yet I still have a problem.

Back story: I bought a 2005 MG ZS180 (one of about 25 total in Australia I'm told) about 18 months ago. After several months, the SRS light started showing. There are no MG dealers in Australia any more, so I went to the closest former-MG dealer (about an hour's drive away), who did a diagnostic and told me I needed to replace the SRS computer. Ok. No one in Australia has this part, so I ordered it in from the UK. A month or so after it was ordered, the SRS light mysteriously goes off and stays off. Several months go by, and eventually it comes back on and stays on. Then the SRS computer arrives from the UK (finally). I get it fitted. The former-MG dealer tells me that the error codes that were showing in the system are now gone. They have reinstalled and reset the whole system. The light is still showing, and they have no idea why.

So then I decided to trawl the 'net and see what I could find. Basically the only use-able advice I've been able to find is check the connections under the seats, and check the connection behind the steering wheel airbag. The steering wheel airbag connection looked fine, and I have soldered the under-seat connections. Light is still on.

If anyone has any advice please send it this way. My registration is expiring soon so I need to get this sorted out (luckily last year I was able to get it re-registered during the period when the light wasn't showing).

Cheers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was told that there were several fault codes prior to having the computer replaced (I don't know how many or what they were), however all of the fault codes cleared after the new one was installed.

·
Got the MG bug bad...
1,307 Posts
Get it re read mate and make a note of them. Then pop them up on here and it may lead to a possible cause :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rightio, I suppose I could try that. They definitely did tell me that there were no fault codes though, last time I was there.

·
Got the MG bug bad...
1,307 Posts
If the light is on, must be for a reason :) Unless there is a short in the electrics somewhere that may cause the light in the cluster to come on.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Try disconnecting the battery for half an hour or so, it may well clear the problem.

Where in the car is the SRS computer located, is it part of the scu behind the centre console.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lukeus: I was thinking just that - maybe there is a short in the electrics somewhere.

Pete: I had the battery disconnected for about 12 hours when I soldered the under-seat connections (3 days ago). I'm not entirely sure where the SRS computer is located, as I didn't replace it myself. I could look it up later though (I'm at work currently).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts