MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This subject has probably been done but I can't find it.
On an earlier post re the 285bhp ebay car, it was suggested that there isn't much room for tunning the KV6. I know George has the supercharged ZS and there are cams exhaust etc. that can be changed. But what exactly is limiting the tuning of the KV6? :dunno:is it because it needs forged internals and the inherent cost or is the block likely to explosed with high power.. or is it the lack of parts.
I'm just wondering as, for example in the classic car world (see mags like retro or practical performance) people seem to be able to supercharge, turbo and generally get loads of power from all sorts of unusual engines. Why is the KV6 so difficult? :dunno: Any one.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I don't think the kv6 is an inherently weak engine by any means, in fact i think it's quite a strong one, Ross's kv6 ran at 260 odd bhp (+30 odd to actually run the charger) for a long time, and in the end it was the fuelling (or lack of) that killed it, as far as i understand its all in the mapping

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've got Ross's car now and had forged pistons fitted (all the supercharged cars broke their standard pistons after a while, probably due to weak fueling on the cylinders further from the 7th injector). The next step is to do away with the 7th injector and run with 6 x bigger injectors (I have 380cc ones to go in) and a stand alone ECU (Emerald in my case). This should ensure consistent fueling across all the cylinders.

I also have a NASP KV6 that I'm building (have been building for the last year!) that has ported heads, big valves, 285h cams and throttle bodies. Because you can't get vernier cam pulleys anymore I've had to make a set. I have no idea what this is going to be like or even whether it will self destruct the first time its run, but it will definitely be finished for better or worse before the year end. The target for this engine is 250bhp at 7400rpm.

The KV6 is like any other engine. It can be tuned, its just the difficulty of getting parts that makes it harder.

Personally I love the engine. It is very compact, its very light (for a v6) and the design of the heads and combustion chambers is very similar to the K4, which as we know can be tuned to give fantastic power.

Reactions: rphill

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
I've got Ross's car now and had forged pistons fitted (all the supercharged cars broke their standard pistons after a while, probably due to weak fueling on the cylinders further from the 7th injector). The next step is to do away with the 7th injector and run with 6 x bigger injectors (I have 380cc ones to go in) and a stand alone ECU (Emerald in my case). This should ensure consistent fueling across all the cylinders.

I also have a NASP KV6 that I'm building (have been building for the last year!) that has ported heads, big valves, 285h cams and throttle bodies. Because you can't get vernier cam pulleys anymore I've had to make a set. I have no idea what this is going to be like or even whether it will self destruct the first time its run, but it will definitely be finished for better or worse before the year end. The target for this engine is 250bhp at 7400rpm.

The KV6 is like any other engine. It can be tuned, its just the difficulty of getting parts that makes it harder.

Personally I love the engine. It is very compact, its very light (for a v6) and the design of the heads and combustion chambers is very similar to the K4, which as we know can be tuned to give fantastic power.

Great Post:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts