MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which would be the better mod? Mainly for performance, I'm guessing the wheels as they affect braking, handling etc etc.

I find myself in a position to potentially make this decision.

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
Wheels.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Neither, first buy the best tyres you can afford.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I didn't think the janspeed mainifolds made much difference.
I am quite clueless on manifolds, but I often wonder if a long primary before the collector would be a better option? Did 'snowy' do a calculation on what was best?

I have prorace1.2 (team dynamics) wheels, which are light, (8j wide), and use these with ex btcc slicks for trackdays and have run them back to back with the standard 11 spokes 7.5j and tbh, never noticed any performance (straight line speed) difference, but then again, they have different tyres on so its all down to grip. The wider the wheels the more contact patch the tyre will have with the road (so slower) but better grip.

I would also go cams for straight line performance or coilovers and camber for cornering or trackday.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks all, but this is a direct comparison. Shall I rephrase this as specifically "Shall I sell my jani manis to buy lighter wheels?"?

cams - ruled out on cost + mpg + time I actually spend above 5K on the road.
Interior - need it
LSD (and cams) not even in the same price league for what I paid/can get these parts for.
NOS - just no.

Tyres - I'm very happy with the feedback and dry grip I get from Kumho's, shouldn't be pushing it in the wet anyway.

This is for a road car, I already have the manifolds as I've always wanted some and they came up cheap enough. I don't drive like a loon but I do enjoy a heavy right foot now and again. Overtaking "because I can" sort of thing. When I had the baffles out of the silver car (now Wit's track car) there was a weird feeling to it like the car weighed half as much for low down grunt. Wouldn't mind having that on my current, but quieter.

Are the janspeed manis lighter? I've never weighed the standard set, could do though perhaps.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers Drew, the questions is how does this increase compare to losing say 2-3Kg a corner of rotating mass? I'll admit I DO want to fit them and would appreciate the sound. Silly question but do rollers misread the wheel weight and show you the equivalent HP increase?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Fit the mani's if u already hav them I doubt u would even notice the lighter wheels unless they were combined with a total wieght loss program.

I only paid £350 for my quaiffe diff (new) I could combine that with a light flywheel and see much better noticeable results than a grand + on OZ wheels etc.

P.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All parts are second hand! I should have clairifed that I could sell one set of wheels + manis for a different,lighter set of wheels also 2nd hand.

Shroonie has a point though, lightweight flywheel is actually in the same price range as what I would expect to sell manis for. I was hoping to slip that one in under the radar as part of the next clutch change.

edit: quaife for 350- how/where??

·
Registered
4 Posts
The flywheel will properly make the biggest difference, the engine revs up so much quicker and is way more responsive to throttle position.
We have Janspeed manifolds, no cats, piper cams, engine timed to 190bhp spec and chipped ecu.
It goes without saying it's a totally different car from standard!

Whatever ya do good luck with her.... :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
All parts are second hand! I should have clairifed that I could sell one set of wheels + manis for a different,lighter set of wheels also 2nd hand.

Shroonie has a point though, lightweight flywheel is actually in the same price range as what I would expect to sell manis for. I was hoping to slip that one in under the radar as part of the next clutch change.

edit: quaife for 350- how/where??
They came from eBay, guy was selling 3. It was a few months ago
Now but I just kept an eye on forums and eBay etc and waited until the right deal came along. It did take 12 months but was worth the wait!

Paul

·
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.
12,325 Posts
for straight line grunt the janspeed manifolds add some real torque, would combine well with flywheel.
manifolds and flywheel add performance you can feel, its more difficult to feel gains from lighter wheels because the power delivery doesnt alter.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Tyres powers fine but grip is better. Toyo tr1's good all rounders and work well when push hard and work well on a daily driver. I have them on my ZSTD makes me smile at every round about.

I also use them on race car as wets.

Wheels do help when you looking at power to weight but really need a stripped car to see the differnce.

Good power gains per buck, ITG induction kit a must for V6.

A cheap performance gain fit some new anti roll bar bushes standard will
do you will be amazed how 30 quid at rimmers will transform the handling of your car.

·
Registered
731 Posts
something no-ones mentioned yet...

a close ratio gear box.

That really unleashes the V6 and totally transforms the car.

that was probably the best power to tarmac performance mod I did and didn't cost that much either

1 - 20 of 33 Posts