MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stuck my notice in at Boots where I worked as a driver for nearly 5 years. So the last day rolls around and guess what I get ?

Naff all .... Not even a card, thank you, or sod off we hate you.

Bunch of tight, miserable gits the whole lot of them. Even the Work experience kids get a thank you card.

Well they can all drowned in the cheap tacky perfume they sell as Im off to quadruple my pay.

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
That does not surprise me at all

Employers gratuity went out of the window in the Thatcher years.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I left my job where I had been 5.5 years a fortnight ago, didnt expect anything didnt get anything, not one of my collegues would come up to head office with me to give me a lift home so I had to get the train for 4 hours after driving 3 to hand my car back.

Times are tight, employers think they can treat people like **** as they are lucky to have a job. I walked into a job a week after leaving so it cant be that bad out there.

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
When I was working, it was for a landcsaping and grounds maintenance company. We maintained the grounds for married quarters for the Navy, Army and RAF. We treated everyone the same, used to say without the guys on the tools we wouldnt have any money coming in. They were also the ones dealing on a day to day basis with the client.

Had a very low turnover in staff, because we used to put them on training courses, spraying, tree surgery, H & S, First Aid.

Trouble was competitive tendering kept squeazing prices, company that ended up winning our contracts treated their workers like dirt. One of their workers left them and joined us about a year before they won the contract. He couldnt believe that he could talk to anyone, including directors. He had to go through foremen if he wanted to say anything.

Point is, they are still there and we closed our company down, as we couldnt complete with the big boys. We knew they couldnt do the work for the money and they dont but get away with it by saying " we are doing it for half the price, what do you expect". We would have been kicked off the site it we performed like them.

:wave:

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
Naff all .... Not even a card, thank you, or sod off we hate you.

Bunch of tight, miserable gits the whole lot of them. Even the Work experience kids get a thank you card.

Well they can all drowned in the cheap tacky perfume they sell as Im off to quadruple my pay.
Our previous neighbour works at Boots. She was a miserable git so they must all be the same.:whistle:

·
LozMachine's better half
1,514 Posts
Our previous neighbour works at Boots. She was a miserable git so they must all be the same.:whistle:
LOL

They could have said "Good luck in your new job" or something, miserable sods!

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Best of luck in the new job, UKBiker, forget about the miserable whatsits in Boots. Sounds like the best move you could have made.

Does leave a nasty taste in the mouth though.

Same to you Spectre, should have put something on here, sure someone could have picked you up.

:wave:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got a job down the docks doing favours for seamen ....

Harbour Police Constable. Looking forward to it - Start Monday.

·
www.irishhillclimb.com
211 Posts
Good luck with the new job, prob a lot more rewarding (no puns!) anyway

Thats just the state of the world though...
We had a fella die in work there a couple of months back and 3 days later you wouldn't hear his name mentioned
Personally... i do as little as possible, i live for myself, not for my job

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
Good luck with the new job, prob a lot more rewarding (no puns!) anyway

Thats just the state of the world though...
We had a fella die in work there a couple of months back and 3 days later you wouldn't hear his name mentioned
Personally... i do as little as possible, i live for myself, not for my job
Very true Mike

·
Administrator
10,642 Posts
Quite the opposite! I do as much as possible at work, I work for myself - so you only get out what you put in, so-to-speak.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Quite the opposite! I do as much as possible at work, I work for myself - so you only get out what you put in, so-to-speak.
I try to do the same Dave - the day goes faster! Difference is that I'm on a salary and it makes no difference if I do loads or do buggar all when the pay goes in at the end of the month . . . . .

. . . . . apart from . . . . . . of the 50 odd people made redundant in the last 8 months or so, I wasn't one of them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I left my first "proper" job I got a HUGE Scalextric set with extra track and cars! Still got it - cool as owt! :)

Now I own the company so my only recourse is to occasionally treat myself to something nice in appreciation of my own efforts. :crackup

·
bigfella-network.co.uk
5,743 Posts
Did you use other peoples milk? Thats probably where you went wrong.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yep, I agree with that.

I am at great pains to tell my son that the reason to work hard at school is so that when you get a job it's one you love to do and enjoy, rather than an inconvenience.

I enjoy my job so much that when I had a heart attack in May, I kept working from hospital. You spend a lot of your life at work, may as well get paid for doing something you like.

·
Registered
17 Posts
HEY BIGFELLA!

Thanks a bundle. Just spent two minutes trying to figure out how the hell a midge had crawled INTO my screen!! :irked:

I think I'm gettin' old!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts