MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since yesterday my fan has started staying on [except when the ign's off] It wont go lower than the 2nd bar on the display. you can take it higher then back down again but it wont blow lower than intensity 2 on the display, you can power down the display by pressing the small fan button but the fan dosent stop. I suspected this to be a problem with the heater resistor pack so today removed the glove to take a closer look. The carpet on the passenger side of the car is soaked and there is evidence that water has been dripping on to the back of the glove box right by where the resistor pack is!

I had a windscreen fitted this month by autoglass, will i be able to claim anything from them for this? has anybody had any experience of making a claim of this nature? Really fed up those twits have done this to my car.

·
Still not cured of MG addiction
7,110 Posts
It seems to happen a lot this on all different makes of car. On my IS200 I've heard of people having the same problem, you find out about it when the headlamps won't turn off.

Hope you get it sorted. They must owe you some compensation. For starters the screen will need to be removed and refitted properly. Maybe try a different branch and complain about what has happened?

·
A boffin and proud of it
1,893 Posts
Hi,
The problem is probably the electronic control box for the fan control (if it is a MK2) These can be repaired. replacements are difficult to obtain and expensive.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,
The problem is probably the electronic control box for the fan control (if it is a MK2) These can be repaired. replacements are difficult to obtain and expensive.
yes mate, its a Mk2. Theres a post on here where a guys fan was stuck on max and it was the resistor. As i can still change the fan speed but not turn it off would that elimiate the resistor?

·
A boffin and proud of it
1,893 Posts
Good question. It could be that the controller has been affected by water. It is not a very sensitive electronic device so a stip and clean could fix it. However, the driver transistors could still be failing causing the fan to stay on.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another down pour today and ive lost speeds 3 and 4 now. still have 5 to 8 but fan speed will not go below 5 or completely turn off. Also my SRS warning lights come on and im wondering if its something to do with the passenger side dash, as theres an airbag directly above the leak and wiring trailing down to where all the climate gubbins are.

Called autoglass head office who put me through to the warranty dept. They've arranged for a technician to come out wednesday and make an assessment. If it is the windscreen thats causing the leak then they will either reseal the exising screen or fit a new one.

When i asked what they are going to do about all the rain inside my climate control they told me they would assess what had caused the leak first then we can discuss the damage. i suppose thats fair comment.

·
POL Group/MG ZR Owners/MG ZS Owners Club
1,278 Posts
hope you get it sorted soon matey

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right, windscreen has been refitted but looks like the leak was coming in from directly above the heater fan. If you remove the panel that obscures the wiper arm mechanism, underneath there is a gutter that carries the rain water away down the inner wings. in this gutter there is a large square hole that if you look directly down it you can see the top of the heater fan. There is a guard surronding the hole but its not very sturdy and if you give the sides a little wiggle you could see water was trapped underneath.

The Fan problem i have seems to be the fan cannot turn off completly. I do have all speeds and the rest of the system is operating fine. Just cant turn the "fan" [not display] off completely, stays on speed 1, unless you turn the IGN off. Could the rain water thats in the fan somehow have shorted something. I know the fan speed is determined by the resistor pack but dont think thats to blame as you can go through speeds 1 to 8 no problem.

Also my SRS warning lights come on and im wondering if its something to do with the passenger side dash, as theres an airbag directly above the leak and wiring trailing down to where all the climate gubbins are.
Oh, and SRS light was passenger side underseat connection. Wish all problems were that simples!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Yep, water leaking into the heater from the intake is well known, it can be cured by some seam sealer round the metal intake lip, the flimsy bit you mentioned, and fashioning a rubber flap over the intake to direct any water into the drainage gutter.

I did this on my mk2 during the winter and have had no problems with condensation, or misted windscreen since.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, water leaking into the heater from the intake is well known, it can be cured by some seam sealer round the metal intake lip, the flimsy bit you mentioned, and fashioning a rubber flap over the intake to direct any water into the drainage gutter.
We shoved $hit loads of silicon around the "intake lip", but I will need to fashion myself one of those lil rubber flaps. Leak sorted, i really need help in diagnosing the fan fault now.

Has anyone else ever heard of this fault on a MK2 with climatronic?

Another thing to add to the list eh Steve? At least you have a very shiney car now!

James
I'm using my ask the audience life line for this one, its got me stumped. i dont just want to keep guessing and replacing bits unnecessarily.

Thanks for your assisstance with the paint correction, she looks a lot better for it.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I have a feeling the fan will always run when the system is in auto.

I've looked in the handbook but it doesn't mention anything about the fan stopping completely.

I'll check mine tomorrow and see if mine continues to run at one segment, or stops completely, it may be that you don't have a problem at all.

It would be worth changing the pollen filter as well, mine was soaked from water leaking into the inlet.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi,
I concur, if thats the one you did a how to fix on? desolder the old transistors?

·
A boffin and proud of it
1,893 Posts
Assuming the transistors have failed, then yes, the box comes apart quite easily then transistors are replaced.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Im sure i read the same thing happened to a guy on here a while ago. Fan stays on permanent and not on full either like seems to be the common MK2 climate control fault.

Am i jumping to conclusions assuming that its the ATC/Resistor-hedgehog looking thing or does that cure all ills?

Been offered a 2nd hand one for £65. not sure what to do, what if it isn't this. could it be something else?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.