MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if the KV6 block has enough metal in it to have a bore increase? Or is the 2.5 the same block as the 2.0 but over bored? (real short sighted if it is).

The KV6 desperately needs to reach 3 litres if MG and Rover are to be approaching competitive in many non UK markets where engine size and power/torque levels are major selling points. Australia is one such example where every review of the 75 bar none has said it needs more power. Australia, like the USA, is a land of V8s and where 6 cylinders means anything up to 4 litres.

I know it could have the stroke lengthened, which would up torque more than power, but can it be over bored at all? Any engineers on here who've stripped one lately and actually knows?

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
KV6 Bore Out

2.0 KV6 and 2.5 KV6 use the same principle as the 4 banger K's.

Same block with different liners and pistons to give differing capacities.

All the 4 pot K's are the same block, from 1.1 to 1.8.

Using this principle, it may be possible to create a larger capacity KV6 and I would be interested if anyone has any more info.

However, it would not surprise me if *** had made it impossible for it to be larger. Petrified about Rover making cars which would take away sales from their own cash cows.

They did this with the 75 shell. To prevent Rover lowering the ride height *** set the indicator lens height at the minimum legal level in the front bumper - Hence Rover being unable to lower it without a substantial re - work and different front bumper.

Same may be applicable with the engines. . . . . . . . *** are a bunch of norberts aren't they!

Matt.

·
aka Simon
579 Posts
Boring...

Can't blame *** for this one - the K-series predates them. The problem is that it was only ever designed as a smallish engine, with the original capacities being 1100 and 1400cc. To get as far as 1800cc left so little metal between cylinders that the engine needs special liners to maintain its structural integrity. I suspect that 2.5 litres is probably as far as a KV6 will go without liners - obviously liners would allow a full 2.7 litres, but it might well be the case that 6 liners are too expensive to justify a mere 200cc gain. Pity, 'cos a decent 3 litre would be perfect as the top FWD ZT!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
All K series blocks the same?

So if all the K series block are the same could I get my 1.8 VVC coupe engine in my dads 1.1C Metro?
Has anyone done it?
Could be fun at the lights?

Chris

·
aka Simon
579 Posts
Fastest Metro

That would be one fast Metro. I have a feeling the gearbox might let go though.... If I recall rightly, the Metro and other small K-series engines were attached to a gearbox bought from Peugeot. At one time, MGR were hooking up a VW gearbox to their 1.6-2 litre engines. Does anybody know if that's still the case?

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Those metros are in existance.

I have never been in one, but can confirm that I have seen the lump under the bonnet of one.

Uses the PG1 gearbox as the smaller pug one would get ripped to shreds within a few K.

Matt.

·
aka Simon
579 Posts
Forced induction

Thanks Matt - Is the PG1 a Honda or MGR design? Does anyone know if ther has been much success in turbo/supercharging K-series engines? I'm not sure how much boost I'd want in view of the cyliner wall issues discussed, but a light-pressure turbo KV6 (say to 225bhp but with lots of torque) would be a fabulous device!

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
The PG1 box is Honda.It has seen service in different forms in R25/ZR/ZS/MGF/R800/TOMCAT/MGF,ETC,ETC.

Tubo technics have turbocharged a 1.8K but the engine was heavily revised with different pistons, etc, etc.

I thought Rover were going to supercharge the 1.8K?????

If they did, then they could blow the KV6. I think that the KV6 would have to be supercharged as it has two banks so if it was turbocharged it would need a blower per bank to keep it in balance. This would be a bit of a waste as I don't think it could take the boost the two fans would afford it!!

·
aka Simon
579 Posts
Records and turbos

Yes, Rover were talking about some supercharged K a while back, but it seems to have gone quiet. Do you remember the supercharged 1.4 MGF that they used to break some land speed records a few years back?

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Yeah, I heard something about that.

Was it a 1.4 K series then????

It's a shame really, I was thinking the other day, Rover seemed to enjoy mucking around with Turbos. They eventually got the T series pretty leak proof, but with almost an imperceptible amount of lag. Huge torque, massive midrange and high power. It only ran a very low boost too!!

It was a really good engine when they got the issues sorted.

They haven't really got anything as a basis for heabily turbocharging now! Unless they bring back the T series turbo???

Whoosh, chuff! ; - )

Matt.

·
aka Simon
579 Posts
Turbos

Yes, the T-series was a good piece of kit. The record MGF used such a little engine to get into a specific record category - the same (sub-1500cc I think) that they took with Stirling Moss in the 1950s

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Robin,

For reliability it is not.

Although the late ones, had all of the issues sorted (after 97-98)

I have seen lots of earlier ones at over 100K with no real issues that require a major bottom end rebuild. They leak oil from the head gasket front right corner and some are prone to sticking valves due to carbon build up (short journey use) Ones with AC also seem to eat water pumps at around 90 - 100K also.

Late ones had mods which rectified all of this, they had weaker pistons however, so you have to be more careful of you are cranking up the boost!!

A very powerful and torquey unit however, with a fantastic mid range.

Matt.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Yep, it is based on the O

However, it has a 5 bearing crank, which was unheard of on most other 4 pots. Not sure whether the O had this as well??

I have a heavily modded 820 Vitesse with different cams, running around 15PSi boost.

It really does shift.

So much so that I had the pleasurable experience of some baseball cap wearing norbert in a *** 328i come racing up behind me at about 50 MPH.

Dropped it into second and floored it up to around 130.

It was fantastic to watch him disappear as if we were on Star Trek!!

Done by an old banger when trying to impress all his mates with his 20K purchase that he is paying for over the next 25 years!!

; - )))

Rovers, don't you just love em??

Matt.

·
MGF and ZTT pilot :)
863 Posts
The practical limit for the KV6 is indeed 2.7 litres - many a company 'high - up' have confirmed this figure as a ceiling for the KV6.

Development of the sweet KV8 was started, but *** killed it when they arrived. It seems unlikely, at this juncture, that the KV8 will be revived (mores the pitty) :(

However, lets not forget that a couple of tasty V8 ZTs are on the horizon, with RWD. If the MG gets a Ford V8 powertrain, then it stands to reason that the Rover 75 can also be so engineered - assuming the marketing desire to do so.

Maybe the future will see V8 75s in particular markets, such as US and Aus?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts