MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds like you're sat in the bottom of an empty swimming pool - loads of echo.
Givin' me a headache :twak2:
Any ideas of how to change it?
Thanks.

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
You don't say what laptop you have or OS . . . anyway, on my Acer I have an ICON on the right side of the task bar it says Sound Effect when I hover my mouse over it. In there I can set different Environments such as Bathroom, Cave, etc. . . . you may have something similar set.

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You don't say what laptop you have or OS . . . anyway, on my Acer I have an ICON on the right side of the task bar it says Sound Effect when I hover my mouse over it. In there I can set different Environments such as Bathroom, Cave, etc. . . . you may have something similar set.
Ooops, sorry.
Yes its an Acer, sound has never worked on playing dvds (ok on cds though), can't see the icon that you mention though.

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
Ooops, sorry.
Yes its an Acer, sound has never worked on playing dvds (ok on cds though), can't see the icon that you mention though.
OK, go into Control Panel then Hardware and Sound then you need to look for something to do with sound, this depends on your Operating System, (Windows 7, Vista, etc) and on what hardware you have.

On my desktop on Windows 7 I have Realtek HD Audio Manager, in there I have a tab for Sound Effects and can set things like Padded Cell, Hallway, etc.

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, go into Control Panel then Hardware and Sound then you need to look for something to do with sound, this depends on your Operating System, (Windows 7, Vista, etc) and on what hardware you have.

On my desktop on Windows 7 I have Realtek HD Audio Manager, in there I have a tab for Sound Effects and can set things like Padded Cell, Hallway, etc.
Cheers - found that and sorted sound problem but now have new prob!

When I try bbc iplayer or itv player it is now playing in something like 1 second chunks: play one sec then load, play one sec etc

I HATE COMPUTERS!!! :irked::bh

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts

When I try bbc iplayer or itv player it is now playing in something like 1 second chunks: play one sec then load, play one sec etc

Make sure you have the latest version of Flash . . .

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

They load the bit rate on their HD programmes so much that your computer is struggling to render the stream smoothly. I get the jerky playback you describe even on my twin-core 3.0 Ghz Intel laptop. Not much point having crystal clear graphics and high quality sound if the damn thing turns into an annoying slide show.

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
Tried that, got "failed to load", they suggest removing old flash player but when I go to "uninstall" I can't find it TO uninstall! :bh: (again!)
Go here: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/155/tn_15507.html

it should tell you what version you have, latest is 10.1 . If you are already on 10.1 or close then your need to get the latest version is not so urgent.

What browser do you use ? You could try an alternative browser . . . I would suggest Google Chrome.

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found uninstaller in Adobe site so have done that and uploaded new one. Sadly no improvement when I try iplayer.
Am using IE at the moment. How do you find Chrome - had it on our other comp and it was a bit of a pita tbh, certainly works better now that one is back on IE (but it is ancient in computer terms)

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
How do you find Chrome - had it on our other comp and it was a bit of a pita tbh, certainly works better now that one is back on IE (but it is ancient in computer terms)
I only use Chrome . . . unless a site will not work with it, there is only one site that I use that springs to mind.

What is your connection speed like ? I have no problems watching video on the BBC, watching Federer lose at the moment :D

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just checked it:
328 Kbps download
457 Kbps upload

Thats not too good is it? Am fairly sure it used to be a lot better than that :dunno:

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts
Just checked it:
328 Kbps download
457 Kbps upload

Thats not too good is it? Am fairly sure it used to be a lot better than that :dunno:
Errr, that is pretty poor, less than half a Mbps. Unless you are out in the sticks you should be getting at least 2 Mbps . . . explains why you can't stream iPlayer stuff though . . .

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Errr, that is pretty poor, less than half a Mbps. Unless you are out in the sticks you should be getting at least 2 Mbps . . . explains why you can't stream iPlayer stuff though . . .
Not quite the sticks but not exactly the centre of the universe either - Crewe, Cheshire :lol:

I'll see if I can get through to Orange...

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Still waiting reply off Orange, in the meantime HUGE thanks for your help mate:yup:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Try running Ad-aware free download just google it also run a virus scan im guessing you could have problems with spyware virus' etc

·
Learned member
1,389 Posts

·
Commission Number 000744
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I don't know if Orange have sorted it or I have self fixing connection but just done speed test again:
1872 Kbps download
553 Kbps upload

Will give iplayer a go again.

Is there usually such a difference between upload / download?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts