MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
'Him' is everywhere!
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if I missed something over the weekend, although I doubt if it was possible as I seemed to get around most of Brands Hatch outfield / infield quite a lot - the lack of any MG X Power regalia stand / display of vehicles.

For the last round of the 2001 championship there was an MG X Power regalia stand on the left hand side, a few hundred yards from the main gate. Outside of which were the MGF Extreme, MG ZR EX258 'show car' and MG ZS EX259 'show car'. Opposite this was an extensive hospitality suite for VIP invited guests of MG Rover, which overlooked the start straight.

This year I could find nothing!

Did I miss something, if so where was it? If I did not miss it, does anybody know why it was decided not to attend with such a display?

I did manage to get some nice signed press photos of both Anthony and Warren during the lunchtime pit walkabout 'panic'! Did anybody else brave the throngs of people?

'Extreme'

G

·
Trade Stand

Think we were all disappointed. My guess is that they will have a display & trade stand when they provide "Corporate Hospitality" at the 4 races designated..

·
'Him' is everywhere!
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mr Rock,

Can you explain why only 4 designated races for hospitality and trade stands? Where did you unearth this statistic?

I only attended two of the rounds last year - Donington & Brands Hatch. At the former there was hospitality (sorry to be a name dropper, but I know because I had an invite!), there was also an X Power display, but NO merchandise. At the latter there was hospitality (tut, tut - no invite this time!), display and merchandise.

Roll on Oulton Park - bound to be very busy with the AK team there aswell. Let's hope for a full house of attractions so we can be kept busy and all return home with empty wallets!

Kind regards,

'Extreme'

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
I was also disappointed at the lack of MG merchandise available.
Tried to find something on the web but the Merchandise link on MGRs X-Power site doesn't link to what you would think. No sign of the goodies that were available last year.

G

·
I posted my concerns at the lack of promotion of x-power on another thread a couple of months ago, after a visit to Brooklands where, although the whole MG Z saloon range was there, as well as a BTCC ZS & two ZR rally cars, there was no representation at all from MGR or any "goodies" for sale.(or even a brochure!).
I find it disappointing to say the least that MGR (still) seem to have no interest in trying to make their products as desirable as, say, Volvo did with their touring car a few years back, & that was an ESTATE!!

·
MG ZT-T 190
6,716 Posts
I have a theory about the lack of promotion at traditional MG events/venues and club magazines! While MGR would love to see a car park full of Z cars, they may not be so keen to associated with the older MGs? Any thought anyone?

Did any watch the TV coverage?
Best looking car on the circuit, the ZS by a mile!!

If ayone would like a quality photographic print of either Reids or Hughes flying thru Dingle Dell I am now taking orders...
I will do one size only, a high quality print from a professional processing lab. Print size will be 20in x 13in, this size is the whole 35mm negative area.

Price: £18
Price includes P&P in cardboard tube

Kelvin

·
'Him' is everywhere!
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have not been to any 'classic car' MG events this year, but did attend two last year - the MGCC International Meeting at Silverstone and the MG Marque Day at Gaydon.

At the former there was a fantastic display of roadgoing ZR, ZS and ZT, along with the EX257 (straight from Le Mans), the EX258 'rally' show car, the EX259 'touring' show car and the MGF X Power 500. There was also two outlets for merchandise - a small stand adjacent to the car display and the MGF support trailer in the paddock.

That seems to show that MG Rover are more than happy to support the MG 'classic car' event - and in force!

At the latter event it was the total opposite - just the EX258 'rally' show car! NO road cars! NO brochures! NO Le Mans or Touring cars! and NO merchandise! And yet it was a very well attended event.

That seems to show the opposite!

Any thoughts?

Kind regards,

'Extreme'

PS - Yes, I agree! The ZS was certainly the best looking car on TV - pretty much like it was all weekend really! Pity ITV forget to inform the viewers why Warren was alll of a sudden not in 3rd Overall in the Sprint Race, after making such a demon start from 8th on the grid!

G

·
If past experience is anything to go by, most "old guard" MG owners treat anything made after 1980 with thinly disguised contempt (or anything post "chrome bumper" come to that!).
So i imagine a car park full of MG Z's would kill most of them!!:D :D

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
There has been a lot of debate recently within the MGOC about this very issue. Some of the members see the 'modern' MGs as not real MGs and are loathed to accept them as such.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts