MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Stop that! Thats silly.
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have started to notice some worrying things with my engine. There was a tiny amount of creamy goo on the oil filler cap, just about all I could do to get it on my little finger, very small amount. Checked it again today and there was 2 drops of 'condensation' on the inside of the cap.
The coolant has never been changed since new and is quite clean looking OAT, the level is about an inch below max. there was no gunk in the oil I removed during a service a week ago and the dipstick is currently ok no gunk.
Am i seeing something normal here of have I just caught it really early?
Engine temps are normal and there are no other signals anything is wrong.

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
MG-Rover says coolant change every 4 years with OAT coolant - Is this a Chinese built KV6 or is it well overdue a coolant change?

I would assume the condensation is due to the cold weather.

·
Stop that! Thats silly.
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha ha this is Longbridge Coolant, original in every way, never been changed.

·
It's a big fan
3,218 Posts
I thought OAT decomposed with time?
If you've found some gunk in it, and youre sure its not hgf, then id do a coolant change and see if it reappeard.
I think it just looses it's anti-corrosion abilities so the coolant will now be eating it's way under the head gasket and eventually there will be an HGF ;)

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Are you only doing shortish journeys, I would say it's just the cold causing a bit of condensation.

·
Wrote off but not Dead YET !!!
4,803 Posts
Are you only doing shortish journeys, I would say it's just the cold causing a bit of condensation.
^^ agree

also check in the "V" for loss of coolant in there around the thermostat

·
Stop that! Thats silly.
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am off for a few days next week, change it then. Is there a How To for KV6 coolant changes?

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Should change either every two years for the blue stuff and five for the red. When I did mine, I just popped bottom hose off. It was done again in April by Lates so mine is on its third change in just over 7yrs.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Organic Acid Technology ( i had to go and look at bottle in garage). I guess its got no nasty acids that erode our alluminiums and alloys.

·
Stop that! Thats silly.
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right guys, update to this thread. The coolant is getting out somewhere, lost 600ml in 2 months, no mayo in oil or in the header tank, no steaming leaks in engine bay.where is it going? have noticed the exhaust is producing what seems like more steam than usual in the cold mornings, could this be my coolant, but if it is than is it leaking directly into a clynder and not mixing with the oil? I dunno guys this is getting me worried now.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Right guys, update to this thread. The coolant is getting out somewhere, lost 600ml in 2 months, no mayo in oil or in the header tank, no steaming leaks in engine bay.where is it going? have noticed the exhaust is producing what seems like more steam than usual in the cold mornings, could this be my coolant, but if it is than is it leaking directly into a clynder and not mixing with the oil? I dunno guys this is getting me worried now.
Check the exspantion bottle. They can split on the seam. Also cap could be faulty. From what you have said here though, it could well be a internal crack somewhere but does it overheat?

·
A boffin and proud of it
1,893 Posts
Top culprit for leaks is thermostat housing.
If it is leaking into cylinders then the coolant system becomes highly pressurised when the engine is running.

Also look at radiator
heater control valve
Any area where pipes can rub or chafe.

Is the water pump original.

OAT has good corrosion protection qualities that deteriorate over time and corrosion can occur, especially where disimilar metals meet

·
R.I.P [The Red Zed] MG ZS 180
19,410 Posts
Also check here

·
Stop that! Thats silly.
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Top culprit for leaks is thermostat housing.
If it is leaking into cylinders then the coolant system becomes highly pressurised when the engine is running.

Also look at radiator
heater control valve
Any area where pipes can rub or chafe.

Is the water pump original.

OAT has good corrosion protection qualities that deteriorate over time and corrosion can occur, especially where disimilar metals meet
First, no overheating, needle at normal position just under half on the gauge. Sheddist, what would be an indicator of a highly pressurised water system, just thinking out loud here but wouldn't there be signs of or smell of petrol in the water system?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
First, no overheating, needle at normal position just under half on the gauge. Sheddist, what would be an indicator of a highly pressurised water system, just thinking out loud here but wouldn't there be signs of or smell of petrol in the water system?
Yes you would get a hint of fumes in the bottle. I assumed you checked the normal common leaks..?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts