MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took delivery of my ZR05 + on Sat 16th March and i have to say the wait was well worth it......

But u know how it is, as soon as u gat the car home u think how can i make this car even better!!!!!

I noticed that the ZR160's have a metal guard round the bodywork near the exhaust and thought it looked good. So i promptly sped to my parts department to buy one......

£5 quid, great looking trim in pocket, but no instructions of how to fit the damn thing and not even the guys @ Rover/MG know how it goes on!!!!!!

Has anyone figured it out??? If so help, i wanna make my car gorgeous........Thanks..............

·
the voice of reason!!!
12,407 Posts
Sorry, no idea but would be interested to find out as I was thinking of putting one on Elaines ZR.

·
MG ZR-X & MG ZR X210 Owner
107 Posts
Me too.

I think this would look great on the BRM and was looking at it in the Z broucher earlier myself.

What's the Rover Part No?

It can't be that hard to fit, I'll get one and work it out.

May be it would look even better around a proper Janspeed. Any one got any experience ?

·
Registered
89 Posts
ok, well i have bought one and i have to try and fit it. as i comes without the fixing bolts/screws. you have to buy them. not to mention the fact you have to keep it in place. you can get the alloy allen key bolts fom halfords or B&q (look at the 160 to get an Idea how to do it) but be warnde its a pain!!

·
107 Posts
Done a little research today.

160 has a rear bumper, a bumper extension skirt and the metal trim fitted to the skirt.

120 has a bumper and a skirt but no trim. Should be easily fitable.

105 has a bumper.... I'm not sure about the rest.

I think the skirt is about £117, and currently MGR can't get enough for production, let alone spares !!

Still under investigation is the possibility of adaptation of the skirt to fit the 200 bumper.

Certainly will not fit with 200 rear mudflaps. You ZR's can't get mudflaps can you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I keep seeing Rover 25s with the ZR rear spoiler ... definitely not the same car.

Is this now a factory fitted option or are Rover's spares department having a boom time?

·
107 Posts
The rear spoiler to which you refer was standard fit on the 25 GTi, and available as a dealer fit option on other 25 models, it was also available as an option on the 200 range prior to the launch of the 25. I have one on my BRM. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks .. I don't know how I missed that one. I had a 200 iS before trading it in for an MGF and thought I had kept up with such developments. The all weather top down driving has obviously taken it's toll :)

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
You're doing better than me. I've had the exhaust heatshield on order for about 3 weeks now from my local MGR dealer with no success.

But I am told fixing the thing is no easy exercise. My dealer has quoted me about £50 + VAT in labour costs which suggests about an hour's work. Also the fact that the holes need countersunk.

Now my CDT skills at school were nil so unless it's easy I'm not gonna even bother trying myself when it eventually comes in.

By the way, if anyone knows a quicker way of getting hold of the heatshield let me know. My dealer seems inept at getting anything. I've been waiting for the moulded plastic inside to the driver's door for 3 weeks also.

Other cosmetic changes...try some blue tint halogens and try replacing sidelights to blue. Gets a lot of looks and looks wicked byt then again my ZR+120 is Trophy Blue and all round colour match. Also, the side skirts really do add something if you've not got them already.

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
Other MOD suggestions

Try a Simoni Racing chrome gear surround. Should cost you about £30 and even I fit it in next to no time. Colour matches door handles and another wicked mod.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Where can i get hold of this gear surround then???

Have you got a part number??

Watch this space for future mods to compliment the great MG styling......

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
Go to your local performance car shop and ask! I got mine from AFL in Leyland, part of the A1 Motor Store chain. Check www.a1motorstores.co.uk for your nearest supplier. If they don't have one in stock they can order. £30 it cost. No part number. Just order the one marked as 'Rover 200 97>'. Manufactured by Simoni Racing. But other companies do them. Richbrook, for example. And whilst mentioning them, their blue tax disc holder is a dead ringer for the Trophy Blue colour. So I got one of those too. About £15.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Heatsheild

I picked up one at the weekend from my Dealer. Yes indeed its only £5 and it comes without screws or bolts.

Not happy with this i went round to the service Dept and asked how much to fit. Im certainly not gonna be drilling holes in my own bumper. Was told that they would do it for £10 and itll take 10 - 30mins. So ive got it booked in for saturday morning, just before i take my 105+ off to the alarm shop to spend huge amounts getting rid of the MG alarm.

Question:- Does anyone know if the passenger door handle(outside) will fit as a direct replacement to the drivers side.?

PS... Shell OPTIMAX -- u gotta try the stuff (worth the money)

C:cool:

·
Zed Heaven
7,508 Posts
Carpboy...lets us know how the fitting of the exhaust trim goes.

You're one lucky b'stard as I've had mine on order for over a month and still no sign! Plus I was told 45-60 minutes fitting and was quoted accordingly. If they do it in 10 mins I want to know why I've been told it's quite a complicated routine involving counter-sinking holes etc.

In the end, due to a series of complaints, I've managed to get the thing supplied and fitted for free but fcuk knows when it's gonna arrive!

·
Registered
515 Posts
heatsheild

was lucky in getting the damn thing.

I just walked into the parts Dept. and they had one that someone hadnt picked up.

The reason i was given that No bolts etc are supplied is that the Dealer presumes its mainly for crash repair on the 160. But, why in the world would our beloved MG make the addition on the bumper (and yes i know, one bumper fits all ..etc).

Still need to know about those door handles -- ANYONE???

:confused:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Its being fitted by my local dealer in Gillingham, Kent -- a bit too far away for you though -- i think

Although, i must say, the service i received from them has been first rate.

C

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Carpboy - i would think the n/s door handle would be the wrong way round for the drivers door because of the rods which open the catch. Not 100% but i would think a O/S/R handle would be the best bet as the catches are on the same side.

·
Registered
515 Posts
yorkie -- your right there....

and there was me only concerned with 3 door models. Will have a word with the Dealer on friday and see what they say.

ty

C

·
Registered
515 Posts
HEATSHIELD FITTED

Finally, the wait was worth it.

Got the Heat Shield on the car -- COST -- £11.61 + £5.00 for the shield itself.

word of warning though............the nuts and bolts dont come with the Shield MG have to order them from the factory

It took them 1 hour to fit the thing......the reason being is that the rear BIB spoiler (lower) has to be removed.

It was well worth the time and money...if you havent got one get one.

:D :D :D :D :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts