MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dont know if anybody else gets this but going over slightly bumpy roads i get a knocking noise and its sounds like its coming from the near side front end.......

·
Audi S4 500HP
6,659 Posts
Have you removed the resonator box from the inner wing?

If it's still in their it can knock (mine used too)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you removed the resonator box from the inner wing?

If it's still in their it can knock (mine used too)
bascially any thing that can knock i have removed or tightened...air box horn etc.. catch tank, matt did have a look found that everything was with in the right tolerances and tight bumpers are sucured still need to do rear bumper just not got room or time to make the brackets any ideas? ...

·
Registered
385 Posts
If you have a worn ball joint or suspension bush then it will make no difference tightening the bolts, best to get the wheel off the ground and check for
Movements knocking etc
I had a large amount of creaking from the front of mine, 90% was reduced when I replaced the lower engine mount.

Still ok to grab the belts this weekend ??

Cheers
P.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Could be a worn ball joint. I have a knocking noise coming from my worn ball joint. Jack the wheel up and give the wheel a rock about.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Is it a loud knock or more like someone rapping a knuckle against the bodywork kind of sound? Interesting that you say it only happens on slightly bumpy ground. Do you only hear it when you're going at low speed? If I'm near the mark then there might be simpler problem than springs and ball joints.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's not a really loud knocking difficult ti describe tbh but dosnt happen all the time when it goes for mot might see if they can look onto it

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Had a rumble from o/s/f in mine from new. Worse in freezing conditions. Factory engineers even failled to find it with chassis ears fitted.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Had a rumble from o/s/f in mine from new. Worse in freezing conditions. Factory engineers even failled to find it with chassis ears fitted.
My first ZS had a rumble that started on at about 5k on the offside too !! The dealer said it was tyre rumble and I just lived with it until I sold the car on. My current ZS also has it but it's less loud than I remember my first ZS being. I'v put it down to design of the drive shaft, i'm sure the carrier bearing bolted to the block transfers engine block vibrations down drive shaft on the offside!!

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Mine is defo in line with the ups & downs of suspension and more like a rubbery mouting / bush type of noise. Can't be wear cause like it from brand spanking new.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My Mk2 180 has done this from new if it's the same thing we are talking about.

Knocking noise from front suspension, noticeable when driving on slightly rough road surfaces (not pot holes, just unsmooth roads). It's worse in cold weather, and goes away as weather/car warms up.

I took the car back because of it when it was a few days old (I didn't get a warranty as such), but they couldn't find anything. It was later I realised by the time I'd driven to the Dealer, the car was warm so the noise was gone.

After a lot of online research I came to 2 conclusions.

Firstly, there was a similar known problem with Honda Civic's from the same era, and I beleive Honda did a recall due to it and that recall involved re-torquing the centre nut at the top of the strut mount. Do Civic's share the same front dampers as our ZS's?

Secondly I read that it was a design issue caused by the dual valve shock absorbers used on our MG's and this would be more apparent when cold up until such a time that the shocks had been through a few compression cycles and had warmed up. Now, I'm no expert on dampers but someone on another forum told me what I was describing was impossible, however, I don't honestly know.

My car has passed every MOT from new and each time I always ask that they take a close look around the front suspension area.

In conclusion, I think the real answer is a combination of both explanations above - it is a design fault, whilst also being an issue with the the way the top of the strut tapers into the strut mount.

If you Google Honda Civic suspension knock/rattle you will get hundreds of results about this problem, but unfortunately most people receive incorrect advice and end up replacing ball joints etc that don't cure the fault.

Whilst on the subject, can someone advise what the torque setting is for the top mount centre nut? After all these years, it's about time I actually checked mine!

The rattle detailed in this video will be different to the knocking sound we hear, but it does cover details of the design issue:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcRDEUjntbQ

·
Registered
15 Posts
I replied to this but a message read that it had gone to moderators for approval.

That was yesterday.

Let me try again....

·
Registered
15 Posts

Knocking noise from front suspension, noticeable when driving on slightly rough road surfaces (not pot holes, just unsmooth roads). It's worse in cold weather, and goes away as weather/car warms up.

I took the car back because of it when it was a few days old (I didn't get a warranty as such), but they couldn't find anything. It was later I realised by the time I'd driven to the Dealer, the car was warm so the noise was gone.

Firstly, there was a similar known problem with Honda Civic's from the same era, and I beleive Honda did a recall due to it and that recall involved re-torquing the centre nut at the top of the strut mount. Do Civic's share the same front dampers as our ZS's?

Secondly I read that it was a design issue caused by the dual valve shock absorbers used on our MG's and this would be more apparent when cold up until such a time that the shocks had been through a few compression cycles and had warmed up. Now, I'm no expert on dampers but someone on another forum told me what I was describing was impossible, however, I don't honestly know.

My car has passed every MOT from new and each time I always ask that they take a close look around the front suspension area.

In conclusion, I think the real answer is a combination of both explanations above - it is a design fault, whilst also being an issue with the the way the top of the strut tapers into the strut mount.

If you Google Honda Civic suspension knock/rattle you will get hundreds of results about this problem, but unfortunately most people receive incorrect advice and end up replacing ball joints etc that don't cure the fault.

Whilst on the subject, can someone advise what the torque setting is for the top mount centre nut? After all these years, it's about time I actually checked mine!

The rattle detailed in this video will be different to the knocking sound we hear, but it does cover details of the design issue:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcRDEUjntbQ

·
Registered
15 Posts

Edit: Post has been accepted this time without requirement for moderation - I did have links to a youtube video showing the problem, but that link must be getting flagged as spam.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts