MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Knighthawk Test at Snetterton and reveal the 3rd driver!

KnightHawk Racing, in preparation for the Le Mans Practice Session on May 5th, will be testing their MG Lola 675 LMP at Britain’s Snetterton circuit on Monday and Tuesday, April 29 and 30.

The two driver/owner’s, Steve Knight and Mel Hawkins, will be testing in the new car over a two-day period, after which the car will be transported to Le Mans on Wednesday in preparation for Sunday’s practice session.

Located on a former WWII US air base, the Snetterton circuit has two of the longest straights in England and is an ideal venue for speed trials – and for simulating Le Man’s famed Mulsanne Straight.

The team has also secured the driving skills of Duncan Dayton for the Le Mans race in June. Dayton is no stranger to the MG Lola, having helped score 1st in class and 7th overall in Intersport’s MG Lola at this year’s Mobil 1 12 Hours of Sebring. Dayton is currently second in Driver’s Points for the American Le Mans Series LMP 675 class. Although Dayton will not be participating in the testing session at Snetterton, he will be joining the team at the Le Mans Practice Session.

“We chose Snetterton because it presents a combination of great safety, good technical turns and high speed,” says Hawkins. “Steve and I both really need to shake this car down in non-race conditions and gain a greater understanding of the car. As I’ve said previously, we just got the car in mid-February and have not had much time behind the wheel at all. I look forward to spending a considerable amount of time in the car, behind the wheel – hopefully 3-4 hours each day. We will not be conducting any development – except with regard to tires. I’m also glad that we’ve finalized the addition of Dayton to the Le Mans effort – I’m looking forward to competing with him.”

“We’re really excited about the opportunity to test for a few days at Snetterton. I know that both Mel and I welcome the chance to spend more time in the car,” says Knight. “It will also give the crew the chance to work on various set-ups – I know that we’re all looking forward to it.”

“I very much look forward to this opportunity to drive nightHawk’s MG Lola at Le Mans,” says Dayton. “I think they are a great team, and driving together with Steve and Mel, I think we have a very good chance for a strong finish.”

“This test will be great for KnightHawk as a team,” remarked Team Manager Mike Johnson. “We had to put this effort together on such short notice to make it to Sebring, and subsequently we experienced a few teething problems.
These test days will allow the team to come together without race pressure. I feel confident that after the two days at Snetterton both the team and drivers will be ready to press forward.”

Hope to have a run up to Snetterton tomorrow - anyone else - considering it?

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Snetterton

I was going to go today - but with one thing and another didn't manage to get.

However as Kelvin suggested it would be a good idea to phone the cct first. I did at 1730, the guy said they were testing today. So, before I travel tomorrow, we need to make sure we get access.

JIM. Do you want to call them - 01953 887303? If there's a problem ask the people to ask Steve. They then may let us in!

Just discovered the Autoroute says 151 miles - wowsa!

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Just phoned Snetterton at 0903 hrs. Spoke to a most helpful Australian lady. Knighthawk Boyz not arrived at the circuit as yet. Also it has been raining overnight and they expect more rain today!

Think I'm going to give it a miss.

Jim

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Someone has been to Snetterton today. That person phoned the office. We then put that person on intercom and listened to MG-Lola's whizzing by.

Sad lot that we are.

Won't steal the thunder from Big Bruver.

Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
MG EX257 and Nighthawk at Snetterton!

Well, after a delayed start I set out to Snetterton, primarily to watch the NightHawk car, which I knew was planned to test there yesterday and today (information gained from the NightHawk - “Press Release”. As we all know the weather was atrocious and when I was about 50 miles from the circuit, I considered turning round and going to the Duxford Aviation Museum. Phoned the Lincoln Chapter and asked him for directions. However, I persevered and was not disappointed.

On entering the circuit, not only did I see the KnightHawk transporters, but two “MG Sport & Racing” trailers and other MG paraphernalia. Excitement was now very high.

Well, I parked the car and went to the first garage to witness Kevin McGaritty waiting to drive his mount. The car was devoid of all sponsorship, however two guys were ready and waiting to decal it up after its run. As the weather was so bad, they only completed a couple of laps to shakedown the motor and test systems. They had MG – Chamberlain Motorsport – AER and Lola personnel present. Hugh Chamberlain sauntered up to me and asked who was I with, I responded “Xpower Forums – NOT.” No, I mentioned just a genuine interest, he then mentioned that “don’t take photos in the garage!” Have, to say, he could have told me to clear off, but he allowed me to watch throughout, very good of him.

I then wandered up to the KnightHawk garage and spoke to the mechanics, who said, “you should have been here yesterday, we ran for 125 laps trouble free”. Nice chaps, who were changing dampers and packing up to travel down to France for pre-qualifying. Watched for a while and took some pictures with there permission (unfortunately the car was not clothed in all its bodywork). I then wandered back down to the other MG’s garage were the “27” car was being prepped for its system check with Mark Blundell at the wheel. This car was fully stickered up and looked wonderful, my pictures don’t do it justice (the light and conditions were awful). After another successful systems check, I then left for home. But thanked Hugh Chamberlain first and wished him a successful Le Mans. He said “Hope to see you there!”

Photos will be on site later of the MG and KnightHawk car.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Saw the guys.

Yep, saw the guys Nathan, they made me very welcome. You have to remember, I was THE ousider and they helped break the ICE. Good guys. Damn good logos too.

Kalvin, the weather was lousy, pictures not great check the site. A few moe on site! 280 mile round trip - I think I'm loosing it?

A stickered car:

Non stickered:

KnightHawk with engine covers off + front suspension access panel:

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
****** hell I only wished I had gone now. Had clearance from Adolf Nimmons as well as TAZ (the wife). Has anybody else noticed but the rear end body looks different, more rounded than squarish to last year? Or is it just my imagination!

Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
JIM

I think the car is exactly the same - apart from development tweaks. As mentioned the AER engine has indergone quite a lot of development since last years event. Witness the success at Sebring for the none works teams and the 125 laps by NightHawk at Snetterton on Monday (that was the day to have gone - no MG's though).

Yep, you missed an opportunity there JIM - I do need an SLR Digi camera though!

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
Focused!

As fast as lightning. I'm pretty good at taking Focused pictures - not like some others I know????

Must scan those pictures in we took of the 6R4 engined Ecosse!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts