MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi.
i have got to a point with my zs 180 mk2 where its in need of some repair. it needs a new inlet manifold,new clutch,new exhaust and a cambelt and a full service. now getting rid of the car isn't a real option as its the only car me and the missis both like and can carry the baby around.
now i wanted to maybe think about doing so engine work to the zs as most the parts needed cost hardly anymore to get performance parts then standard parts.

i was thinking of getting some cams,full exhaust incl mani's,inner wing filter,lightned flywheel, and remap. this would cost me about £3300 and give me about 225 bhp. now thats not great value but we know the kv6 isn't great for power.
not is it worth getting the mani's,cams,lightened flywheel and remap for about another 25 bhp and a extra £!800 in parts alone?
the other thing i have seen is the cost of t16 engines and even full setups. i have had rover turbos so know a bit about t16's and quite like them.
main problem is the cost in converting and is it a pro only job or could a half decent engineer do it?
also the reliablity once converted as im doubt full once shoe hored in it won't cause problems.
i have also seen t16's for sale with turbo and everything needed for 400bhp for about 2k which is good value but is this miles ott?

main thing is this is 99% road car with odd trackdays and needs to be g/f and baby ok!
so it can't break down all the time or be to stupid to drive.

head is saying keep the zs to 200bhp and save the cash, heart is saying go mad.

·
No longer a Rover / MG owner.
1,152 Posts
Do you really need a (possibly) 400bhp road car if you T16 it?
How difficult do you think that will be to drive on the road?

Also your insurance will most likely go up if you mod the engine as you suggest anyway - can you afford this with either option - T16 or tuned V6

If I was going to T16 a car I'd be looking at better brakes etc anyway

·
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.
12,325 Posts
turbo it, aautosport do t turbo convserions in to zs and zr for very reasonable rates and the conversions look excellent.
Even with the mods you list for the zs you wont make 225 bhp, more like 205-210 bhp and no torque gain to mean anything, the turbo will make oodles more power and more importantly masses more torque.
Its a no brainer if power is your goal, turbo zs are awesome fun, i would stick to around 250 bhp for a road car but with the turbo lump at least you have the option for easy power upgrades when and if.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well money wise i have a pretty good job and so does the other half but then as we have a baby arriving in november i don't want to waste money if i can help it.
the repairs alone to the kv6 are well over 2k so its not cheap fixing the v6.
i need a reliable car which is bags of fun and is quick enough.
i made a comprimise with the other half i would give up my r34 gtr and my alpina convertible so we could get a fun family car she could drive. the mg is perfect for her for that just with a knackered inlet manifold feels bloody slow to me so i want a happy medium.

what sort of cost do you look at for a decent t16 conversion and also is it worth going forged bottom end to go over 240 bhp?

if i stick with the standard kv6 and just go foe exhaust and induction what power would i get and would it make the car fairly quick?

as for breaks im doing a full servce on the brakes with decent uprated pads, discs and fluid alround and when funds are better a 4 pot conversion maybe.
handling well you can go to silly levels but whats actually needed. maybe coilovers and uper and lower braces and well setup?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is there any other decent options?
i have heard about people doing 20vt conversions.
whats the cost like for that and is it easy enough to do?

·
Front wheels steer, rear wheels drive.
12,325 Posts
see here, dont know about prices but what i have heard is very very competitive.

http://www.aaautosport.co.uk/

de cat and induction on the v6 will give you 10 bhp, not a bad gain for easy and cheap mods and it does perk the car up a bit, but if you consider the 180 not quick enough then a 5% power gain is not going to change that, in real life thats nothing.

reyland offer the 1.8t 20v conversion, theres my build thread in the zs section somewhere from when i had mine done if you fancy a read.
It was called "new project landed today" or similar.
Awesome conversion, awesome engine with massive tuning potential and carried out by a top notch company, mine was barely scratching the surface at 300 bhp & 343 lb ft but in a 1000 kilo car it was rediculously fast.
There are also 2 zr vag engine threads on here somewhere, martins is 340 bhp soon to be 400+.

·
MG ZS 180 :)
351 Posts
If you decide to go down the t16 route I have a brand new set of red vernier pullys, a inlet manifold and fully refurbisbished cylinder head for a t16 engine for sale. Ful details and pictures will be going up in the for sale section very soon.

Good luck with your Zed what ever you do :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
10 bhp isn't great return for over £500 in parts and the kv6 needs repairs too.
still worried about turning it into a crazy car thats no good for baby carrying duties as i don't have the space for another car for her

·
Registered
407 Posts
with the list of other cars you drive, i would be more tempted to say leave the ZS as it is.

Wait for Sheddist to finish his new plenum, and pop that on when available.

save the cash for running the skyline.... cashed in an ISA for a flat deposit the other day, and made a silly mistake of looking for R34 GTR's online... needless to say i was not popular when i said 'you know that money i said i would put towards the flat.. well.....'

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I also would keep the ZS as it is, maybe save the money for a turbo car in the future.

Have a word with Pete T16 AA Autosport did his conversion for him I believe, he can tell you all the in's and out's. I believe a couple have done the T16 over on the RoverTech forum. :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys.
i really want a turbo zs but im worried its going to be a problem for my missis to use as a daily driver.
i am not sure on where i am going to be living in a years time and most places im looking at won't have enough parking for both of us having a car and my work van so i need a car that will keep me amused and take the o/h where she needs to go.

sadly i don't have my skylines or any of my other toys, they have been sold off over the last year for different reasons so the mg is my only release at the moment until i have sorted a place with extra parking

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
a lightly tweeked t16 on std management is perfectly driveable every day, if you want to make sure its not too much, put a switch inline to the boost controller, it will run 6psi actuator pressure for the wife, 11psi for you.

Drew

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that seams a good idea. i was going to have a apexi avcr 2 and have different settings but they are a bit complicated and expensive compared to your method.

have your company done many of these conversions yet?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
hi.
i have got to a point with my zs 180 mk2 where its in need of some repair. it needs a new inlet manifold,new clutch,new exhaust and a cambelt and a full service. now getting rid of the car isn't a real option as its the only car me and the missis both like and can carry the baby around.
now i wanted to maybe think about doing so engine work to the zs as most the parts needed cost hardly anymore to get performance parts then standard parts.

i was thinking of getting some cams,full exhaust incl mani's,inner wing filter,lightned flywheel, and remap. this would cost me about £3300 and give me about 225 bhp. now thats not great value but we know the kv6 isn't great for power.
not is it worth getting the mani's,cams,lightened flywheel and remap for about another 25 bhp and a extra £!800 in parts alone?
the other thing i have seen is the cost of t16 engines and even full setups. i have had rover turbos so know a bit about t16's and quite like them.
main problem is the cost in converting and is it a pro only job or could a half decent engineer do it?
also the reliablity once converted as im doubt full once shoe hored in it won't cause problems.
i have also seen t16's for sale with turbo and everything needed for 400bhp for about 2k which is good value but is this miles ott?

main thing is this is 99% road car with odd trackdays and needs to be g/f and baby ok!
so it can't break down all the time or be to stupid to drive.

head is saying keep the zs to 200bhp and save the cash, heart is saying go mad.
Why not buy a 1.8T K series and emerald ecu all your problems solved and standard items for the car.

T16 is a great engine, but go and buy a 220 gti real old school rover beast

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Why not buy a 1.8T K series and emerald ecu all your problems solved and standard items for the car.

T16 is a great engine, but go and buy a 220 gti real old school rover beast

As for KV6 buy piper 270's dont bother with verniers stock ecu and maxogen induction and you will be over 200 this is what I run in my racing ZS and it now beats 3.9 v8's. Unless you going down a trick ecu route and a lot of rolling road time verniers are not worth it.

I still run stoock exhaust and manifold (with precat and decat) and save over £1000 on exhaust and manifolds, like wise with ecu rolling road time and verniers another £1000 was saved.

Thats 4 sets of R888 super sticky road tyres which will make your car handle better and therefore be more controlable.

Power is good but very expensive, one of the reasons why the T16 was so popular, as the YB cossie engine cast iron so bomb proof

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i like some bits of the kv6 like the 30+ mpg and the noise although mine is tappy lol.
i don't like the lack of punch and the lack of torque. also i don't like the plastic internals in things like clutch master cylinders and inlet manifold and thermostat housings. the kv6 hasn't proved reliable for me to be fair and the whole mg isn't like my old 220 gsi or tomcat was.

the t16 is a good engine, quite powerful and in my 220gsi was great as it had hardly any turbo lag. kind of tuneable, not like my skyline or anything but still turbo routes so go forged and loads of power avalible and mapping has got better to suit. main dislikes is oil leaks i never got mine to seal lol. extra maintance, warm up and cool down more important, its a old engine and not the great on mpg. insurance on a conversion.

so really my option is get what power i can out the kv6 and enjoy the noise and easy of keeping the engine and hope for about 200bhp. the car won't be rapid but nice to drive.
the other option is the t16 and have bags more power and have a great base to work on but suffer in the wallet for it and loose the orignal charm of the car. also agro insuring it and getting the conversion done.
bloody hard choice.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oh as for the r888's great tyre and if it was a track toy great but as a daily driver with my missis driving it with my kid on board the tramlining and worry of standing water tells me not to put tyres like that on it

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the setup would be
straight through exhaust turbo back 2.7" maybe 3".
cold feed induction kit with battery in boot
fmic or maybe pulsar intercooler.
t28 hybrid or maybe t30 hybrid
forge piston (maybe over sized to 2.1?)
forged rods.
reground crank and rebuilt whole engine
ap head bolts
uprated head gasket
avcr boost controller
hks bov
uprated rad
remap
620 ti steel caged box with torson diff
uprated clutch

any thing i missed?

if i went kv6

inner wing induction kit
decat and cat back exhaust
new inlet manifold
new clutch
needs a cambelt to so maybe piper cams and lightned fly wheel when the clutch is done. are these worth it?

what do you think id get power wise?
t16 270bhp and build cost including conversion£3.5k
kv6 200bhp and £2.5k repair cost?

brakes and suspension will be dealt with anyway

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
the setup would be
straight through exhaust turbo back 2.7" maybe 3".
cold feed induction kit with battery in boot
fmic or maybe pulsar intercooler.
t28 hybrid or maybe t30 hybrid
forge piston (maybe over sized to 2.1?)
forged rods.
reground crank and rebuilt whole engine
ap head bolts
uprated head gasket
avcr boost controller
hks bov
uprated rad
remap
620 ti steel caged box with torson diff
uprated clutch

any thing i missed?

if i went kv6

inner wing induction kit
decat and cat back exhaust
new inlet manifold
new clutch
needs a cambelt to so maybe piper cams and lightned fly wheel when the clutch is done. are these worth it?

what do you think id get power wise?
t16 270bhp and build cost including conversion£3.5k
kv6 200bhp and £2.5k repair cost?

brakes and suspension will be dealt with anyway
Theres no way I would bother with a T16 for what you want. Its suprising what a 180 can do with some easy mods.
Ur missing the best mod out off that list .....lightweight flywheel!!!
That will give you more than all those put together.
Its like having another 20-30bhp midrange in lower gears.

You would spend a fortune on the T16 like you have listed!!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts