MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Powertrain Ltd, the Midlands based manufacturer of engines and transmissions, supplies its K Series engine to Land Rover's best-seller which will star at each of this year's PBRC events with ex-Scottish rally champion David Gillanders at the wheel. The vehicle opens each special stage with a demonstration drive and a spectator safety inspection.

This year's seven PBRC events will see the UK's most popular 4x4 tackle terrains ranging from the rigours of the Scottish Highlands to the world famous high-speed Manx International Rally on the Isle of Man.

Commenting on the performance of the K Series engine, Fraser Winton, managing director of Powertrain Ltd said: "From saloon cars and sports cars to off road rally support vehicles and life saving hovercraft, the K Series engine is the natural choice of some world famous customers. Weight, cost, performance and reliability make it a formidable powerplant."

The rally prepared Freelander has a K Series V6 engine produced by Powertrain Ltd. The KV6 is an all-alloy 24-valve 6-cylinder quad cam unit, of 2.5 litre capacity, developed from the award-winning K Series 4-cylinder engine.

Gillanders isn't the only part of the team with real rally pedigree - the Freelander served as Colin McRae's reconnaissance car for the Safari Rally during the 2001 World Rally Championship, demonstrating the durability of the K Series engine in extreme environments.

·
'Him' is everywhere!
3,146 Posts
This is the beast in question, Jerry. I remember seeing it on the Pirelli Rally earlier in the year, but hadn't realised it was David Gillanders in the driving seat!

Who's David Gillanders I hear you ask?...

Well, he used to be a fairly mean pedaller of a Metro 6R4 during the mid-late 1980s. In fact he was the official Austin Rover (Scotland) entry in his British Car Rentrals, Gartrac prepared entry - Reg Nº C670 JSU!

He won the 1987 Marlboro National Rally Championship, and the same year's ESSO Scottish Rally Championship.

After disposing of the 6R4 (to John Moloney for rallycross) he had Gartrac build him a hybrid MG Montego, complete with 6R4 suspension, hubs, brakes and wheels! I seem to recall there was also an engine transplant, but cannot recall what type at present. I'll do some digging about...

Anyway, here is the photo of the Freelander, courtesy of www.brcweb.co.uk and photographer Jakob Ebrey - many thanks.

Attachments

·
MG XPower.
2,119 Posts
Hi i read with great interest your piece on freelander
have you any more pics as i compiling a story on both the freelander
and my 6R4
yours David Gillanders
I can remember following you in the 'Motoring News' in your 6R4 in about 86/87.

At the time I was rallying an Opel Manta, but always wanted a 6R4...

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Hi i read with great interest your piece on freelander
have you any more pics as i compiling a story on both the freelander
and my 6R4
yours David Gillanders
Hi and welcome to a bit of a legend from MGR's past.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts