MG & Rover - XPower Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

Just bought a 54 plate ZS 180 saloon in Xpower grey.

Has red alcantara interior, upgraded Kenwood CD, reversing sensors, Xpower back box and oil catch tank. Has had belts done and a new clutch last year, now on 76k miles.

Had many MG's / Rovers in the past - this is my first Zed car though.

Couple of issues / questions:

I have ordered a Sheddist kit as a precautionary / preventative item. The clutch has a very low bite - very near the carpet to engage - is this usual / within normal boundaries, or a sign of the all too common servo fault.

Horn has intermittent failure - can hear the relay clicking but sometimes need to tap the horn unit to make it work - have asked a person on here who is breaking MKI hatch if he has one available - any ideas on any other possible common cause of this issue

I will put up a photo when time permits - other than that - am loving it so far :)

Oh yes - and with the back box, would a janspeed cat and a cold air box make any appreciable difference to pick up / drivability or are they not worth it for the small gains?

Regards
Dave

·
YELLOW PERIL
2,407 Posts
Hi and :welcome:

Think the horn issue is down to where its located, have heard that they dont last long. Dont sound all that good when they do work!!!

I've got a derv, but have read on here that a good cold air set up in the wing is one of the best gains for the 180. Just make sure water cant get sucked up.

Glad you like the car, do go well.

:wave:

·
MKII MGZS180
2,314 Posts
These mk2 ZS180 saloon in XPG are just too common :D

Welcome to the site :welcome:

The horn issues are very common. I have to replace mine after a year but *touchwood* the existing horn has been working for the last 6 years.

The clutch to the carpet doesn't sound right to me. The Sheddist kit should solve your problem.

·
pricey
68 Posts
Hi welcome to xpf
My clutch is also very low bite I had a garage fit the sheddist kit but still bite as the carpet as you say I assumed this was natural:/, sheddist clutch did bring the pedal nicely in line with the break pedal tho instead of being stupidly high

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Hi and welcome

Hi welcome to xpf
My clutch is also very low bite I had a garage fit the sheddist kit but still bite as the carpet as you say I assumed this was natural:/, sheddist clutch did bring the pedal nicely in line with the break pedal tho instead of being stupidly high
The sheddist has adjustable bite point as well as adjustable stop.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the "Welcomes" and associated advice.

Will hopefully get the Sheddist kit fairly soon and then get a garage to fit it as well as replacement horn.

Loving the nice sharp handling, even if the ride is a little firm on the crappy side roads where I live lol :)

Regards
Dave

·
ZS180 MK1
152 Posts
Welcome! The clutches on the 180 are a little bit odd to say the least. I did try getting a sheddist kit the other month but couldnt reach him. He is a busy man, but should solve your problem.

·
The Devils Fuel
123 Posts
Hi & welcome Dave...

the guy who has just bought my lpg'd 180 has just sold his grey 180 with red alcantara............ steve by any chance.:) Hoopla77 ??

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi & welcome Dave...

the guy who has just bought my lpg'd 180 has just sold his grey 180 with red alcantara............ steve by any chance.:) Hoopla77 ??
Yep - Steve from Reading - same guy?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Welcome to xpf and 180 ownership i,m sure you will have many years of fun in front of you i,ve had mine 5 years in february and i still get a great buzz from it .

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi and :welcome:

Think the horn issue is down to where its located, have heard that they dont last long. Dont sound all that good when they do work!!!

I've got a derv, but have read on here that a good cold air set up in the wing is one of the best gains for the 180. Just make sure water cant get sucked up.

Glad you like the car, do go well.

:wave:
lol yeah mine sound like a drowned cat =p
55 plate too :s

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks for all the "Welcomes" and associated advice.

Will hopefully get the Sheddist kit fairly soon and then get a garage to fit it as well as replacement horn.

Loving the nice sharp handling, even if the ride is a little firm on the crappy side roads where I live lol :)

Regards
Dave
Had the Sheddist clutch kit in both my cars and made them ten times better buddy, you should be able to tell the difference after with the Honda items ^^

What horn you going for btw?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Had the Sheddist clutch kit in both my cars and made them ten times better buddy, you should be able to tell the difference after with the Honda items ^^

What horn you going for btw?
Thanks - have sourced a 2nd hand horn from a MKI being broken.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welcome, will be good to see another ZS around Southampton, even if you didn't buy mine! lol
Cheers :)

Do you guys in the Southampton area ever meet up for rolling road days or go on track days?

·
a British Legend!
188 Posts
Hi, and welcome to 180 ownership!
I've been trying to get Sheddist kits for my business to supply for ages but can never get hold of him but beware - i was recently after one for a Mk2 but a common problem is the round hole in the Clutch pedal that the slave pin goes through wears to a nice oval shape and the pin also wears. This gives a good 1.5mm of movement at the Slave and about an inch at the pedal rubber so the Sheddist kit wouldnt cure it anyway.
The pedal is NLA for the MK1 but is for the MK2 as is the pin. I would recommend checking this. We've now done about 8 pins and 4 pedals in the past 12months at our workshop.
BTW, the Horn failure is also common, esp on the Mk2.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts